Thread: Arcane Thread

Arcane Thread

I respec'd Arcane for a 10 man tonight to try it out again.

I do like the rotation a bit better than FFB and I like the fact that Arcane's DPS starts immediately and not after a ~20 seconds.

I have a couple questions though:

1.) What's the order of stats for Arcane? Hit > Spell Power > Haste > Crit ?

2.) I've read about a couple rotations. One being Arcane Blast x3, then casting Arcane Missiles whether Missile Barrage is proc'd or not and then clipping the 4th Missile with Arcane Barrage for the Buff. Second being Arcane Blast x3, then casting Arcane Barrage and only using Arcane Missiles when Missile Barrage is proc'd and also clipping the 4th Missile. IMO it seems like Arcane Missiles without MB proc'd would produce less DPS.

3.) I went oom like crazy on a couple of fights. I think using Mage Armor instead of Molten Armor would fix this, but how much of a DPS nerf is that? (I haven't tried this spec in a 25 man yet, so mana might not be an issue)

If anyone has any other comments, please post TY

Re: Arcane Thread

Well, fully raid buffed, the rotation that includes clipping the 5th missile should provide the best dps. That is, of course dependent on your latency and if you have mods that help you time the rotation. Molten armor provides more dps while mage armor does provide more regen. If you want to try a more mana conservative rotation you can try using 2xAB per AM or even a 1 to 1 rotation, if these are still too mana intensive for you, then i would suggest just switching to mage armor.

How does this overall dps of Arcane compare to FFB now?

We had both a FFB and Arcane mage in our 10 man naxx last week and the Arcane mage was putting out near 5k dps. while the FFB mage was struggling to hit 3k

Im not sure if it was purely a gear thing or not, but it seemed like the Arcane mage was a tad high for his gear.

Also it seemed like he was only using missile when he had the proc, rather than a set rotation.

We had a ret pally and his mana held up fine on all the fights.

Arcane should be putting up similar numbers to ffb, but it shouldnt be blowing it out of the water, i might suggest that your ffb mage might not as skilled as the arcane mage or not have the right gear (ffb becomes really powerful after 30% self-buffed crit). Overall, with similar skill levels and gear levels it actually seems that arcane pulls ahead of ffb, but this could be due to the itemization of the available gear (arcane scales very well with haste, whereas ffb scales very well with crit). But this doesnt mean that every mage should just switch to arcane, it takes more skill to keep your rotation tight as arcane, so less skilled mages should stick to ffb, plus imp scorch is too important a buff to not have in a raid situation.

Quote Originally Posted by arnorian
    Arcane should be putting up similar numbers to ffb, but it shouldnt be blowing it out of the water, i might suggest that your ffb mage might not as skilled as the arcane mage or not have the right gear (ffb becomes really powerful after 30% self-buffed crit). Overall, with similar skill levels and gear levels it actually seems that arcane pulls ahead of ffb, but this could be due to the itemization of the available gear (arcane scales very well with haste, whereas ffb scales very well with crit). But this doesnt mean that every mage should just switch to arcane, it takes more skill to keep your rotation tight as arcane, so less skilled mages should stick to ffb, plus imp scorch is too important a buff to not have in a raid situation.
    yeah, i totally forgot about imp scorch, that would suck to loose in a 10 man setting.

there are two good things about arcane over FBB

1. is not about how lucky u are with scoring 2 crits in a row
    2. your dps depends on how good you use your mana...less downtime = increased dps...the better mage will prevail

arcane would be a lot more attractive if they actually did something about mana consumption. It's better than it used to be, but not good enough. Thank heavens I got druids in the raid willing to innervate me.
    Originally Posted by Vaneras
    Soon™ ;-)
    https://api.lootbox.eu/pc/eu/Xni-230.../signature.png

Quote Originally Posted by Topcraft
    arcane would be a lot more attractive if they actually did something about mana consumption. It's better than it used to be, but not good enough. Thank heavens I got druids in the raid willing to innervate me.
    Oh I totally agree, I dont think the 2min evoc was a great solution. It is just worse than life tap in every way. I cant tell you how many times I have started to evoc only to get clipped by some raid boss ability (SoB! my mana!). I also raid with a bout 5-6 druids, chain innervate FTW!

Ive been arcane spec 57\3\11 since patch and never had any mana issues.
    With right raid setup, wise use of gem\pot\evo and mage armor + glyph u should be allright.
    I chose glyphed mage armor over molten and still put out 6-7k dps with 3xab-am-abar rotation.
    did sarth 3d tonight and my mana was fine all the way to the end as nr 2 on dps, right behind our dk tank.

your dk tank must be imba
    Originally Posted by Vaneras
    Soon™ ;-)
    https://api.lootbox.eu/pc/eu/Xni-230.../signature.png