Do you use Shadow Word: Death in a PvE rotation?

Topic says it all.

Re: Do you use Shadow Word: Death in a PvE rotation?

I personally dont use it in a "rotation" but however i do use it to take up a half of a second while waiting for a dot or MB to come off of CD.

The rotation itself doesnt actually exist. Yes I'm using SWD to fill globals.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

It's a filler in case MB is not off cooldown and a DoT will need refreshing before a MF can be substantially completed.

I tend to only use it if I'm moving, IE. Switching sides on thaddius (which is without the damage buff so no suicides :P) Simcraft shows average dps to be slightly higher (aka a difference of like 30 when dps is 5k) but that can be lost with bad latency.

yeah pretty much what they said.. use it as a filler for GCD.. i also like to try and use it on low health trash to try and get imp spirit tap to kick in so i can be there for more pulls instead of drinking especially if the raid is moving quickly which also keeps your SP higher from P&S when your spirit is getting doubled on a regular basis.

There is no rotation per se'... i like to think of spriests as what do you cast in between MB CDs? 2 hasted MFs will make up one 5/5 imp MB CD and that's what you will generally do... however you do need to refresh VT & DP every 15sec & 24sec respectively... as such there will be times you will cast MB, then VT, meaning there is no time left to cast 2 x MF without delaying your MB... so this is where I use SW to make up the 1.3sec or so waiting for MB... Other times you may cast VT, MF, DP in which case MB is ready to use and no need for SW...

Lastly during Bloodlust/Heroism I will use SW as my MFs are around 2.1 to 2.2 sec casts... meaning I either cast a 3rd MF and delay my MB or utilise SW and cast MB the moment it comes off CD.

SW is still a decent spell to use... despite what some people think simcraft clearly shows that SW in the rotation is a slight dps upgrade... it is also a mana effecient spell in terms of DPM and it can proc IST... it can also be used on the move so there are many situations where using SW is a good idea... it's just not the same as BC where you used it every 12sec...

15+ Year Old Account

The only proper application of Shadow Word: Mouse Trap in PvE is to gib level 1 vermin while moving toward the next pull to maintain your Shadow Weaving stack. All this talk of using it during movement/filler is rubbish and should be ignored.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

we better ignore u .,. O_O .,.

Think of it this way, in between MB's you can MF twice, or if you need to let's say VT you can MF once to full and then either MF and clip it or SW. If you need to VT and DP then you do those in best order with one MF. Whether you SW or MF and clip is a personal decision, personally I use SW (unless low on health/healers struggling) for an extra chance at Imp Spirit Tap since I am just gearing up and don't have the regen of many SPriests.
    Ephemera - Grievance - Thrall [H]
    Sybilfawlty - We Have Cookies - Stormrage [A]

omg omg! why dont use SWD? if u kno rotation combos like "VT+SWP" then why not "MB+SWD" if they crit they give good dps, and u only have to use swd every second CD of mind blast. u're not gonna die from it or smth. if ure a good player ua re not supposed to get extra damage, and +dps is always a bonus! pwned

It's a bit more complex than you make out...

Scenario 1. (assuming enough haste to make MF x 2 = 1 imp 5/5 MB CD)

You decide to MB then SW this leaves you with about 4 seconds of your MB CD to go... so you cast MF which shoudl be hasted to around 2.7 seconds... so now you have about 1.3 seconds b4 you can recast MB and for this scenario you don't have any dots to refresh. You can either stop casting for 1.3 seconds which is an obvious lack of dps or you can choose to cast another MF, but doing so will delay your next MB cast by 1.4 seconds.

In this scenario even if SW crits, you will lose dps because MB isn't being cast every 7 seconds, or you end up not casting a spell for 1.3 seconds.

Scenario 2. (assuming you have best in slot gear or very hig end gear)

SW at very high gear levels does comparable dps to MF and as your gear improves due to SP coeffecients you will find that MF will scale far better than SW from the fact it is a 3 second channel compared to an instant spell... basically MF will get around 87% of your spellpower applied to the spell compared to 15%... in addition MF has talent modifiers associated with it, SW has none... and lastly there are glyphs that increase MF damage, there is 1 SW glyph but it requires the target to be under 35% health and is generally not used by most spriests.

As such in this scenario MF will tend towards being a higher dps spell than SW... perhaps the gear isnt available right now but it's not inconcievable it will be.

Scenario 3 (assuming 2.7sec MF's)

Lets assume you cast MB and then you have to refresh VT... this means there is now roughly 4 seconds left on your MB cooldown, so you choose to cast MF, now you have about 1.3 seconds left... now is a good time to cast SW because the moment your GCD is finished MB will come off cooldown... in this situation SW will increase your dps because casting any other spell would have delayed your MB and of course casting SW does more damage than not casting.

This is why you do not cast SW whenver its off cooldown or deciding to cast it after every 2nd MB... to do so will cost you dps, you need to select wisely when to use it.

rotation: a planned recurrent sequence

Using it randomly is not using it in a rotation. Even if the random use have reasons.

Arguing semantics is what people do when they can't accept defeat...

lets get technical then... spriests don't have any rotations... they have a spell priority and that priority is dependant upon what dots need refreshed and what is or is not on cooldown at any given time.

With that in mind, SW moves to the top of the prioirty when you have about 1.5 sec to fill b4 a MB cooldown with no dots to refresh...

As you can see arguing semantics doesn't actually change anything.

No. Only use it in my opener to stack up SW for SWP.
    http://insilicoguild.org/
    A community for everything WoW, including a forum, gallery, arcade and more.