DW tanking worth it?

So, because everyone and their mom wants 2handers, ppl in guild suggested me to DW tank naxx25. I remember before last patch DW tanking was lacking threat and parry haste was pain in ass.

I dont have shitloads of expertise gear, but I guess I can pick some +exp onehanders and resocket my 7 gems with expertise as well. Question is, does it really worth it? Is DW tanking still worse than 2h or at some point of gear difference is minor? Share your experience please.

Re: DW tanking worth it?

Not really. It's definitely possible to main tank as a dual wield dk, but stacking expertise to avoid parry haste isn't worth it and picking weapons specifically for expertise will probably lead you away from other desirable stats. I personally would rather bray it up with the sheep and go 2h tank, but there really isn't an incredible difference in damage taken from what I've seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengura
    So 10 posts and no definitive answer...

TO ELITEST JERKS!
    Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    People really will find anything to complain about. Too bad I don't care because I quit the game because they made the hunter class color lime green and I think it would be SO much better had it been a grass-colored green.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitcher
    Not really. It's definitely possible to main tank as a dual wield dk, but stacking expertise to avoid parry haste isn't worth it and picking weapons specifically for expertise will probably lead you away from other desirable stats. I personally would rather bray it up with the sheep and go 2h tank, but there really isn't an incredible difference in damage taken from what I've seen.
    Well, as far as I know 2h tanking does more threat -_- . Which is far more important than damage taken for me, not like Im dying on every pack you know

Deleted

2H all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyciphur
    Well, as far as I know 2h tanking does more threat -_- . Which is far more important than damage taken for me, not like Im dying on every pack you know
    Dual wield threat comes from non-weapon based abilities like dnd, howling blast, coil, and disease ticks, so a hybrid spec would be the way to go for a dw tank.

TO ELITEST JERKS!
    People really will find anything to complain about. Too bad I don't care because I quit the game because they made the hunter class color lime green and I think it would be SO much better had it been a grass-colored green.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitcher
    Dual wield threat comes from non-weapon based abilities like dnd, howling blast, coil, and disease ticks, so a hybrid spec would be the way to go for a dw tank.
    But does that threat comes close to 2h one?

According to theory crafting, the parry hasting issue is a nonfactor when deciding between dw and 2h. Just get what you'd get what you'd get if you where using 2h. (There is a difference, but it's so small that it should be neglected unless persuing "the best of the best no matter by how small amount")

Another issue that people tend to go at is the hit cap for DW which is ludacris to reach. Just go with spellhit cap as everyone else. You just scale slightly better with hit/expertise and are slightly worse off futher away from (2h)capped you are.

Then there is thread generation. In the thread I'm linking below, one of the posts is a guy posting a threat report on 4.2k tps on patchwerk in heroic gear. Generally Frost seem to be the build that generally create the most thread(that be as 2h at least. But DW should definately be "up there") I don't think you'd have problems in nontopend guilds assuming appropriate gear/skill etc.

And the link:
    http://elitistjerks.com/f72/t40739-dw_tanking_builds/

I'm currently persuing "The Dream" of dw tanking myself and all I can say is "good luck" there is a lot of naysayers and clueless people to give the likes of us a bad name.
    "He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool." — Brigham Young

Thanks for useful link, I will ofc browse it.

Tbh as far as I remember, Hatefuls add you some aggro, so tps from pach only means that guy took alot of hatefuls, which, in turn, means his avoidance was not that great.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyciphur
    But does that threat comes close to 2h one?
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...h=000000000000

I'm not much for building tank specs, but here's my best shot at it for a dw tank. It should provide some pretty good snap aoe threat and competitive single target threat gen. I would probably get a second opinion though.

TO ELITEST JERKS!

I'd go with 10/54/7 or a variation of that, but I'm in love with frost so I might be slightly biased.
    "He who takes offense when no offense is intended is a fool, and he who takes offense when offense is intended is a greater fool." — Brigham Young

Bananero

Isnt Stoneskin Gargyole 2h only? i would go for dw tanking if i could put SG on both weapons, that could free some gemming slots for more hit/expertise

Quote Originally Posted by Bananero
    Isnt Stoneskin Gargyole 2h only? i would go for dw tanking if i could put SG on both weapons, that could free some gemming slots for more hit/expertise
    Gargoyle is 2h only, but a dw tank that went down to HB can go with cinderglacier/razorice and pump out extra tps.

TO ELITEST JERKS!

Like the above poster said, its 2h only. But the thing is, if you're DW'ing tank weapons, capping defense shouldn't be an issue. You can get a quite nice amount of defense from it.

As for me, i'll most likely give DW a shot once Ulduar comes, more hit/xpertise on gear, making it much more attractive.

Atm i just slap on 2 x 1hers for 3drake Sarth(10) when i have to max out my hp as much as possible, the extra stats are AMAZING. Once the adds are down, back to 2h'er with swordshattering due to the "enraging" effect after each add dies.

Even with a 2h tank build, i did do like 4k tps while DW'ing, which surprised me a bit, was nice to see its not "that" bad in terms of threat, can only imagine how viable DW tanking can become once the amount of hit/xpertise on gear supports it.

Quote Originally Posted by bujaberry
    Even with a 2h tank build, i did do like 4k tps while DW'ing, which surprised me a bit, was nice to see its not "that" bad in terms of threat, can only imagine how viable DW tanking can become once the amount of hit/xpertise on gear supports it.
    Huh? Is it from theorycrafting or "personal experience" or something 3rd that you find it noteworthy subpar currently?

(edit: Current theorycrafting and examples suggest that it is on par as it is, which is why I'm wondering. Haven't tested myself yet)