Haloo

Sarth + Drakes tanking. T7 set bonuses.

Hey people,

My guild have been trying Sartharion with two drakes up recently and myself along with a DK have had the task of picking up the Whelps and the Elemental Fires. Im looking for some tips on how to pick up say 10+ mobs and keep them ;p

Basicly when vesperon dies the AoE starts on the adds to kill them off, being 1 of the MT's in my guild i say when were have a sustainable ammount of agro for them to be AoE'd down. But as im checking most of the add's i see the DK has threat on a massive number of them compaired to me? I mean i have no trouble what so ever collecting them up, its just keeping the overall threat. He always seems to over take me..

Basicly im tabbing / selecting adds have using HoR / Conceration / Frisbee and the odd SotR for singles.. any tips on improvements? and ofc Holy sheild is always up.

Haló - Doomhammer is my char.

Any tips / hints you've found usefull would help

Also the 4-price set bonus on Tier 7. Increases the duration of your divine sheild and Divine protection by 3seconds.
    Im rattleing my brain on when this could be usefull.. i mean i darnt actually try it during a boss encounter, but has anybody? Does it release you from the treat list? or does it just give you immunity and the boss smack the bubble to peices?

Im new to Paladin due to re-roll for wotlk so i appriciate all help

Thanks in advance, Haló

Re: Sarth + Drakes tanking. T7 set bonuses.

Dk tanks, depending on spec, actually put out very high levels of AoE threat with Death and Decay and howling blast/unholy blight (frost/unholy respectively). If however you aren't tanking the mobs inside the DK's aoe then he shouldn't be pulling aggro off you as paladin aoe threat is also very high.

The set bonus is actually amazing if you consider the fact that divine protection is your shieldwall... a 25% increase to the duration of a 50% damage reduction is certainly nothing to scoff at.

Quote Originally Posted by orakio

The set bonus is actually amazing if you consider the fact that divine protection is your shieldwall... a 25% increase to the duration of a 50% damage reduction is certainly nothing to scoff at.
    Usefull on Patch 25m at the 5% Enrage as the Hurtfull Strike tank...
    Conall the Undying - 80 Protection Paladin (WoW Armory not working atm).

Haloo

Quote Originally Posted by orakio
    Dk tanks, depending on spec, actually put out very high levels of AoE threat with Death and Decay and howling blast/unholy blight (frost/unholy respectively). If however you aren't tanking the mobs inside the DK's aoe then he shouldn't be pulling aggro off you as paladin aoe threat is also very high.

We are tanking in eachothers AoE, pure and simply to try and kill of afew of them to make it easyer on ourself and healers.

Oh right, so basicly if i use Divine Protection while MT a boss i wont lose threat and the boss will continue to smash me? Just works same as a warriors Sheild wall?

Cheers guys, great so far =]

Quote Originally Posted by Haloo
    Oh right, so basicly if i use Divine Protection while MT a boss i wont lose threat and the boss will continue to smash me? Just works same as a warriors Sheild wall?
    Yes.
    Conall the Undying - 80 Protection Paladin (WoW Armory not working atm).

Quote Originally Posted by Haloo
    Precisely. Part of the changes to tanks that they made in 3.0.2 was to make sure they all shared a set of very basic abilities. A Shield Wall is one of them.

Divine Shield is still a threat dump though, of course.
    Parietis :: Retribution Paladin
    Størmglory :: Enhancement Shaman
    Caecius :: Arms Warrior

Haloo

Quote Originally Posted by Parietis
    Precisely. Part of the changes to tanks that they made in 3.0.2 was to make sure they all shared a set of very basic abilities. A Shield Wall is one of them.

Divine Shield is still a threat dump though, of course.
    Yeh i guessed that as well Divine Sheild + 15seconds immunity = kinda op..

Thanks for the help guys, really appriciate it =]

I usually tank all of the adds close to the dragon that is currently being DPS's so that the melee's AoE damage can kill off a few of them and make it easier on myself. The new taunt also works wonders.

edit: Also if there are any enraged, the rogues can anesthetic FoN them. Good luck.

just pick up the adds, while standing in the DKs aoe and lethim tank them
    thats what i do atleast :

as I am no expert in tanking with paladins but could be usefull if you use the Libram of Resurgence to increase your overall aoe damage and some points in Reckoning for more addhitting. Last thing I can think off is using a Titanium Shield Spike instead of the normall stamina as an enchant

Quote Originally Posted by Koffie
    as I am no expert in tanking with paladins but could be usefull if you use the Libram of Resurgence to increase your overall aoe damage and some points in Reckoning for more addhitting. Last thing I can think off is using a Titanium Shield Spike instead of the normall stamina as an enchant
    Reckoning's benefit even in AoE SoV is extremely minor tbh, and shield spikes don't work as the adds are elementals iirc, and elemental melee attacks can be dodged/parried but can't be blocked. Resurgence is a good idea though tbh, so it is actually useful for something :P

If your having problems with holding aggro over healers on the adds, Koffie's idea could possibly work. For first timers at multiple drakes, it is rather difficult if your ranged dps tries to spread out over the entire island. Having a designated tanking and casting spot usually helps.

The fact that most mages have aoe built into their dps rotation doesn't help you out a whole lot but the new taunt is pretty nice since it does damage now.