Poll: Are you happy with paladins over all?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Are you happy with paladins over all?

very simple question.

All together are you happy with paladins so far?

I am. When i was protection it was incredibly fun and i could definitely hold my own. As ret well.. im new to dps and getting used to rotations.. but it's still alot of fun (i'm hearing it's far too easy though).

Balance wise i like to think we're great borderline OP but not really there when everyone has gear (PvP).

My only criticism is ret gear.. it's kinda awkward with a small amount of armor penetration and haste thrown onto our gear to make us unique.. i'm excited to see how Ulduar goes hopefully with a more functional set and we can see how our DPS goes without Undead bosses.

Re: Are you happy with paladins over all?

Yes.

Itemization is good atm. Holy is better than ever and a lot of fun to play, and prot is WAY more interactive and fun than it used to be while offering plenty of tools. Ret is something I don't generally do, but it is also in a very good state.

Paladins are in much better shape than we have been in years.

All paladin classes have had a huge improvement since BC which i'm happy for. The only problematic aspect i can see is ret which is very difficult to tackle. The PvE dps is currently far lower than pure, which i dont find too much of a problem but it is also lower than hybrids especially in the raids which aren't nax. Those of you who play ret in competitive guilds realize this.

In nax are dps is best and fairly close to par BUT this includes abilities such as Divine storm, Concentrate, exorcism, AND Holy wrath. If ulduar is as difficult as blizzard suggests, CC will be required pretty much making ret useless as AoE abilities are required for dps, Not to mention nothing in there will be undead(my guess)

Problem with just buffing other abilities would make PvP dps for ret out of control once again, so i can see the difficulty.

Overall paladins are pretty good right now and wanted with ret just needing a few tweaks.

From kara - sunwell I was in love with paladin, but as time went on I really got burnt out on it and thus quit for quite a while. Tried other classes and couldn't stick with them. Came back to my pally a month or so after wotlk release and I'm in love again. Defiantly different. And I like that.
    sig
    Your signature is in violation of the signature guidelines, and has been corrected.

Itemizing is very nice for a paladin but I find it that pugging heroics is a disaster. I have both a healing priest (disc) and a healing paladin (dont ask why pls) but as Disc is very new as a healing spec I find it less troubling to get into a party then a paladin healer. Both are good geared (done OS+2drakes heroic on priest, did OS+1drake normal as paladin) but people see holy paladins as less because we dont have aoe healing (loved the 20y range on glyph but hated teh hotfixed to 8y so its now only slightly better).

I healed from kara to BT and it was ok. When SW came i was bored and already gone. Then I comeback a month after WotLK. Have a total blast leveling as ret. Turned holy for easy raiding ..and guess what? I'm actually having a blast healing with the new mechanics. Beacon is insane, sacred shield is very nice, Divine plea is awesome and now i can judge from far away and it benefits me on top of being usefull for the raid.
    They finally fixed paladins, about damn time.

15+ Year Old Account

ive played some instances as holy. its way easier to heal then it was in TBC. i healed loken as offspec easy without any1 dying. its an advantage if you've played holy in TBC(without the bacon) it gives you an advantage.

havent played prot, but you changes as easy to see.

Ret, well thats a different kind story compared to holy/prot. pve OP? no. PVP op? well..kinda easy to do 10k dmg(when SoB is used). but the changes that are made where nessecary. i still expect some changes when 3.1 comes with ulduar.

Quote Originally Posted by Aelegos
    All paladin classes
    btw paladin is one class. yes paladins are much better off than they were in prebc (cleanse bots), bc (healbots/ decent tanks), and now this a viable dps spec which many people still qq over.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how the Paladin turned out in WotLK.

I'm having some issues concerning Ret, mainly because of the bad scaling and the recoil dmg from SoB/M.

But we've come a long way since vanilla and you finally have the feeling to be eye to eye with most of the other classes (those who actually work as they should). Although you can't really be top dps in a competitve raid environment, you still do decent dps apart from bringing significant buffs. And... tbh... who startet a Paladin to be top dps? ...apart from those fotm reroll Paladins ;P

Holy is fun. Not more to say... having been holy throughout TBC and doing a good job (at least that's what everyone told me) with a mainly crippled class after the spirit buff I have to say, that Holy is now so much more interesting to play. If my raid ever runs short on healers I would gladly respec.

Haven't tried Prot yet, but our Tankadin is so happy about it, I guess it has to be good too

If Blizzard manages to balance Ret in PvP and keeps our dps as it is I think my opinion will change from "pretty happy" to "totally happy". And by balancing Ret in PvP I don't say nerf, I say lower the severe burst capability and offer some more tools. I don't like 10sec arena games which are either won if you're lucky or lost if you're unlucky. I like interesting games where the favor changes sides a few times and can be returned by some well timed well targetted actions.

anyone who says no needs to reroll.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Cynic
    Overall, I'm pretty happy with how the Paladin turned out in WotLK.

I'm having some issues concerning Ret, mainly because of the bad scaling and the recoil dmg from SoB/M.
    i agree that recoil dmg is high. happens alot that i get over 3k dmg returned.

im glad RV scales better

Quote Originally Posted by iktankniet
    i agree that recoil dmg is high. happens alot that i get over 3k dmg returned.

im glad RV scales better
    ... I quoted you but I should have quoted others aswell... Retri is fine as it is as a hybrid. I have to go the extra mile to get the best out of my DPS compared to other classes, with same gear and skill level. Compared to BC I finally feel like I'm not just waisting my effort to go the extra mile. Now I do get on top if EVERY thing goes perfect. Lag, Rotation, mana... yes it's alot of factors, but it is highly doable. Topping Thaddius by 1k dps difference is something that is achievable. Heroics I'm second or first. Malygos is not a big issue. No I won't get on top, but it's a fight that requires coordination and skill. Same goes for Satharion+.

And we do have a CC for Ulduar, repentance. If used correctly it functions fine as a CC. I've been around since 2.1 as a retri. Been tanking/healing aswell. And overall Paladins are awesome these days, in all spec. Retri spec just adds to that. I off tank in Retri and I off heal in retri, having all my gear enchanted and with me at all times.

The recoil from SoB/M is neccesary for some fights. It helps with Mana regen. Which you will need...

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by eodem
    ... I quoted you but I should have quoted others aswell... Retri is fine as it is as a hybrid. I have to go the extra mile to get the best out of my DPS compared to other classes, with same gear and skill level. Compared to BC I finally feel like I'm not just waisting my effort to go the extra mile. Now I do get on top if EVERY thing goes perfect. Lag, Rotation, mana... yes it's alot of factors, but it is highly doable. Topping Thaddius by 1k dps difference is something that is achievable. Heroics I'm second or first. Malygos is not a big issue. No I won't get on top, but it's a fight that requires coordination and skill. Same goes for Satharion+.

And we do have a CC for Ulduar, repentance. If used correctly it functions fine as a CC. I've been around since 2.1 as a retri. Been tanking/healing aswell. And overall Paladins are awesome these days, in all spec. Retri spec just adds to that. I off tank in Retri and I off heal in retri, having all my gear enchanted and with me at all times.

The recoil from SoB/M is neccesary for some fights. It helps with Mana regen. Which you will need...
    i know recoil is needed. but the recoil gets really high the better gear you get. imagine ulduar gear. might be able to do over 15k judgements. 30% of 15k dmg is around 5k recoil. atm thats about 20%/25% hp. ofc hp will go up, but it still is alot of recoil dmg taken

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account

Short answer - Yes.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by iktankniet
    i know recoil is needed. but the recoil gets really high the better gear you get. imagine ulduar gear. might be able to do over 15k judgements. 30% of 15k dmg is around 5k recoil. atm thats about 20%/25% hp. ofc hp will go up, but it still is alot of recoil dmg taken
    I agree that the recoil/mana regen for paladins needs a look before ulduar is released. And yes it scales alot the better your gear, thus removing the possibility to fully use it in 5 man. Cut the recoil by 20% and that should give it a nice number. But still, at the moment on live, the recoil is fine. I don't stack to much crit, because I don't want to die off the recoil. (typical recoil dmg for me: 190-200k on Thaddius, without sparking, would be around 90k for normal fights).

As a prot pally i am very happy with most of the changes. It is nice to finally be able to be considered more than a trash/5 man tank. I like how we got a nice boost to single target threat. I do however at least in my opinion feel the mana regen for prot pallies could use a tad bit tweek. When i am doing things like dailies and stuff its find, and even boss fights no problem however on trash pulls i tend to struggle with keeping my mana up, cause either one or two things are happening either i am not taking enough dmg to have heals really giving back any mana or the mobs are being taken down faster than my JoW can replenish. So at least in my opinion i do hope they give prot pallies some better mana regen.

Yes and no. Its obvious to anyone whos been playing a paladin for a long time (like me) that the class is better than it has ever been, overall. All specs are nice and viable, which is the very important for hybrids like us. Itemization is pretty good right now and certainly better than it was in TBC. The most important thing is, no matter what talent tree you go into, you should be having fun and thats the important thing.

Does this mean we are perfect? No. Does this mean we don't need some improvements in certain areas? No. Like an class, balance changes and improvements are an ongoing thing and we (as paladins) shouldn't expect anything less.

Theres still the issue of PvE ret dps. I'll get it out the way, I'm not someone expecting to top meters. I'm not someone who expects to be out doing the pure damage classes. However we should be on par with the other hybrids and its clear we are much lower, even with our Undead spells. Ulduar is going to be extremely interesting if what Blizzard said is true and CC will return. We all know DS breaks it and so does consecration, thats without even taking in the obvious that our 2 Undead spells won't have any use.

Sadly, its probably all a result of our current state in PvP (too much burst) but its a hard thing to balance.
    We are warriors, born from the light
    An army for freedom, defenders of life
    Warriors, euphoria will rise
    Returning from darkness we bury all lies

I had to decide when LK came out to level/gear the pally or druid (love hybrids), and I don't regret in the least going with the pally. Yeah I guess holy healing might be a little harder than the CoH/WG spammers, but I think it was a lot more fun overall. I actually think lacking an AoE heal makes healing much more interesting, we really gotta watch those bars

My only complaint is that after tanking through a good portion of BC as a prot pally, I kinda miss the "infernal machine" that was pally tanking. Pulling off good single target threat was decent challenge if your gear was bad... I didn't really enjoy tanking after they changed the mechanic, it seems a little too easy (druid tanking is even easier right now... so I guess I shouldn't complain).

I haven't tried ret yet, but the guys in the guild playing it seem to be having some huge fun, so yeah... pallies ftw

In my opinion paladins are the best class in the game right now. We aren't too complex, we are the best tanks in the game right now, one of the better dps, and great healers. It might explain the surplus of paladins on my server lately lol.

Looking at over all my vote was no. Looking at just the tanking aspect then my vote would be yes but we still don't scale as well as a warrior or dk. We do scale better than druids still. As a hybrid though I personally can't stand playing ret. It annoys the hell out of me. I love playing my druid as cat, but I hate playing my paladin as ret. As a healer they are still lacking a lot. Beacon is the only reason to go above 41 points in the holy tree if you are main tank healing. There are better "healing" talents in the protection and retribution trees than in holy if you don't value beacon of light and the value of the spell is questionable if you are a single target healer.

All in all, outside of tanking, I much prefer my druid for every single role. I hate tanking on my druid, and I find it better on my paladin. I have never tried tanking on a warrior or dk. My all time biggest complaint about tanking on a paladin though is that I still have mana issues when I spam out all of my abilities with decent avoidance stats and blessing of sanctuary up because the mana return from blessing of sanctuary isn't that much and in many cases I don't need enough healing for spiritual attunement to actually benefit my mana regeneration at all.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.