Thread: Glyph of Smite

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Glyph of Smite

Is this worth a glyph spot ever considering the changes to how pushback works?

Re: Glyph of Smite

If you play on leveling as lolnotshadowlol spec, then yes, as there's currently no pushback resistance on holy damage dealing spells (ie. Smite, Holy Fire, and Penance).

Which is fucked up, and they should really fix Healing Focus to include offensive spells as well.

But for now, yes I'd use it if you're stubborn and refuse to spec shadow for leveling.

I'm level 22 atm...right now, shadow isn't as effective as holy it seems. My wand currently does more damage than mindflay. I imagine I'll spec shadow after I can get to shadowform...although I may be stubborn and level the slow way just to get used to the talents I can get from being either holy or disc on the way up..i haven't figured out which I'd rather do atm...but I'd rather learn to how play my class to its fullest as I level instead of waiting till 80 and then trying to figure it out at 80.

I tend to want to play the tree that I leveled with when I'm done leveling.

Then you should pratice with shadow, as "smite dps" is not part of how you play priest at any point.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Wraiven
    I'm level 22 atm...right now, shadow isn't as effective as holy it seems.
    Mind Flay is the most effective spell from level 20 onwards. Try to use it.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    eh...yes and no the wand from BFD quests is more effective than MF until you reach the new rank at level 36. I found MF is pretty lack luster till then.

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    Maybe if all mobs were ranged and I didn't have to worry about mobs coming up and hitting me and pushing back that spell into oblivion. Sure I could bubble, that's more mana than to cast renew on myself plus it will just give on a melee and i'll still get the pushback on mindflay and will likely use 1/2 of my mana on 1 melee mob....even with mana tap, it just doesn't seem worth it at this level.

15+ Year Old Account

at lvl 20 it should be mind blast, swp, mind flay, wand til dead (maybe another mb depending on health) rinse repeat.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Level 30 and Holy is still superior to shadow.

To all you neighsayers, roll a new priest and try holy and try shadow. At these low levels, I'm way happier as holy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wraiven
    Level 30 and Holy is still superior to shadow.

To all you neighsayers, roll a new priest and try holy and try shadow. At these low levels, I'm way happier as holy.
    First of all, there have been thousands of people before you that have tried every form of leveling and every spec. Stop acting like you're the first person to use X spec and act like you know more than anyone else. We've been doing it longer.

Now that that's out of the way, the point of going shadow to level is that it requires 0 drinking, which means no downtime, which means insanely fast leveling. Yes smite and holy fire hit for a lot, and yes wanding works ok if you aren't shadow. But you'll be out of mana if you use a simple HF, smite, sw rotation on more than 2 mobs.

Up till 30ish, yes mindflay doesn't hit for a whole lot, but I guarantee you a shadow specced priest playing the exact same amount of hours as you with the same skill level will hit the level required for MF to be awesome WAY before a holy specced priest. Besides, there's no point of being holy when you could gain a level in the time it takes to look for an instance group.

But anyway.. I have a feeling you'll ignore all this so anyone else reading, please, shadow for leveling is the best .

I have 3/3 Spirit tap. I'm doing fine on my mana.

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich
    First of all, there have been thousands of people before you that have tried every form of leveling and every spec. Stop acting like you're the first person to use X spec and act like you know more than anyone else. We've been doing it longer.
    Maybe you should think before you post something like this, he is simply saying that he finds leveling as holy easier at lower levels than shadow, and is suggesting that the people bashing it try it before doing so.

You say "Stop acting like you're the first person to use X spec and act like you know more than anyone else. We've been doing it longer." but maybe you should follow your own advise and stop acting so cocky... how do you know that you have more experience playing the class than anyone else here? Please don't give out rude remarks on a thread only asking a simple question that lead to what was a reasonably civil discussion.

15+ Year Old Account

blizzard is coming with new patches every month.
    unless u have lvled a holy/shadow pirest recently i sugest u just shut your mouth and listen to this guy's advice.
    if u have lvled a priest, i sugest u give him constructive criticism for why shadow is bether than holy or vice versa.
    reading some stupid guide at the internet 2 years ago doesn't count cause the game updates and so shud u.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

"Since none of you have actually levelled two identically geared priests at the same time since the latest patch none of you know what you're talking about so stfu. I think that is the general gist of it. Even the OP is only switching between specs without ever really using shadow consistantly for enough time to claim authority."

Forget it.

Shadow is faster. It is more efficient. BUT you do need to know how to use it. You'll never drop SF. Never Heal, never eat. Shield + scream + DP will be enough to not be dropping health on mobs. Shield. Start with a cast time spell, say MB. Strafe. Cast SW:P/DP. Stop strafing and flay until the mob is upon you. MB. It should be dead.

Note that even when Mind Flay does poor damage - it is MORE efficient and because it slows the mob, more ticks of DoT goes through meaning more damage by the time the mob reaches you meaning you take less damage... I hope you get the idea by now.

Holy with spirit tap is a FINE levelling tool. It is not as efficient as shadow, by numbers. Also - the guy who says 'Stop thinking you are a unique and beautiful snowflake, hundreds went there tried that and realised shadow was better' was right.

for 5mans and 10s, smiters are and have always been a fun spec and pretty viable there, too. if (!) your group can sustain your lacking ~15% of damage compared to a shadow, they get a decent emergency-healer extra.

it's not the "perfect" spec in terms of pure damage, and manainefficiency is as big a problem as it's always been. but I'm playing a smiter as sort of my fun toon, and I found my guild and friends pretty grateful for tossing in a HoT once in a while, saving pretty edgy situations, and being the nice hybrid with the shiny spells that just smoothes out any encounter.

regarding the glyph of smite now, the actual question that this thread was about: it's nice but not needed.
    if you get beaten up in an instance, things are out of control anyway, so spell pushback's not your biggest problem then.
    for leveling and questing, shield just does it for the few seconds until the mob's down.

Sorry... people keep telling me that the holy smite spec is fun... can someone explain to me why pushing the same button over and over is more fun than balancing a complex dot/cd rotation that does far superior damage?

Didn't destro locks cry 'boring' when all they did was spam shadowbolt and now the priest community is trying to argue spamming smite is fun?

Here is the truth of why people are talking about holy dps spec's as fun, it's because it's so rare they think they will be 'cool' doing it... it's as if no-one else in the wow community does it but them it makes them unique... here is a tip, rebelling for the sake of rebelling is just another way to conform... don't believe me? Then why do sections of the community (such as emo's) conform to dress the same way, listen to the same music and have the same interests?

Besides it's far easier to rebel than conform, true story.

I think it's not so much about "rebelling" or "coolness" than maybe curiosity. but not the point anyway. when you started talking about "people" and intentions rather than about the spec itself, you left the grounds of constructive discussion.

about the fun part... if you're spamming smite (+ holy fire) all the time, you just missed the opportunities that go with the spec by miles.

fun for me with my priest toon means: doing pretty decent if not uber damage, watching enemies' life bars along with 5/10 of ours at the same time, and using many defensive spells reacting quickly to any needs, all that with a variable rotation and the possibility to even heal heroics if I feel like it.

not the mindnumbing "boom boom mob dead". but that might be a personal preference, as the definition of "fun" always is. I'm much happier getting told "wow, you just saved the raid" than seeing myself on #1 of recount's list.

I think tralal4 is on the right idea here.

The point is to have a spec that can do decent DPS while still being able to heal decently. And being able to switch between the roles at will without the stress of using shadowform. How far can you take it and still heal?

Much of this hangs again from the mindset of patch 2.0 where priests smitecritted for 600 damage, while our shadow brethren closed in on mind blast criting for 3k. It was hell to farm back then, taking down a mob at our own level cost us a manabar, and the water needed to get that mana back was more expensive than whatever the mob dropped. So we looked at hybrid builds. Things that allowed us to still heal while doing decent DPS. The smitespec was one of those builds. Maybe it could open up for us being hybrids in raids as well. Healing when required, dpsing when required, doing both jobs decently. It was a fools dream, but mostly one of being able to farm with the best of them.

Nowadays we do decent damage.

And pf course, now it's mostly about taking it one step further. How close are we to being able to abandon shadow completely?
    The answer is - and has always been - not there, never will be.

That's not to say that you can't chose +10% damage on smite instead of 70% healing pushback resistance.
    Or going deeper into disc and getting those +damage talents. it will cost you as a healer. It won't make shadowpriests fear their spot. But it's still a fun thing to ponder.

Of course, the day smitespec is a viable DPS alternative, shadowpriests are useless. And that's not gonna happen.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

I'm not talking about a holy for dps, I'm talking about holy for leveling (at low levels since that's where I'm at right now.

Analogy: DW is considered to be the dps spec for warriors, however at lower levels, most people will say that arms is the way to go. So in this instance, the endgame dps spec wasn't the best spec to level with (at least at low levels).

The argument that shadow is better than holy for leveling because your health bar stays full is moot. Renew is part of my rotation and I'm pretty much full of health after I kill a mob.

Again, its not my intention to go into an instance and use the same rotation that I'm using while currently leveling. Ranged dps bores the hell out of me. I'm going to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by fishsandwich

Now that that's out of the way, the point of going shadow to level is that it requires 0 drinking, which means no downtime, which means insanely fast leveling. Yes smite and holy fire hit for a lot, and yes wanding works ok if you aren't shadow. But you'll be out of mana if you use a simple HF, smite, sw rotation on more than 2 mobs.

Up till 30ish, yes mindflay doesn't hit for a whole lot, but I guarantee you a shadow specced priest playing the exact same amount of hours as you with the same skill level will hit the level required for MF to be awesome WAY before a holy specced priest. Besides, there's no point of being holy when you could gain a level in the time it takes to look for an instance group.

But anyway.. I have a feeling you'll ignore all this so anyone else reading, please, shadow for leveling is the best .
    Stupid post is extremely stupid.

3/3 in Spirit Tap and then go Holy until 40, maybe 50. The talents are better and Smite is as good as Mind Flay.

If you run both specs you'll see the difference, but you'll probably ignore this post anyways. Holy is better for leveing, at least early on.

And the OP's question, Smite glyph is horrid. PW:S is all the pushback resist you'll ever need while leveling.