Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Shadowpriest 3.1

    So we finally got a BLUE POST on the EU forums. This is very rare, so I thought I'd share it here as well.
    As most of us know Shadowpriests have been target dummies in pvp for a while, but it looks like there's changes on their way with patch 3.1.

    http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread....sid=1&pageNo=7

  2. #2

    Re: Shadowpriest 3.1

    As the proverbial goes:

    Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

  3. #3

    Re: Shadowpriest 3.1

    We're so extremely underpowered in pvp that I'm actually kind of surprised they're going to wait till 3.1

  4. #4

    Re: Shadowpriest 3.1

    Quote Originally Posted by heriana
    As the proverbial goes:

    Don't count your chickens before they hatch.
    I usually just count eggs...that gives me a good count.
    L2P or GTFO
    - Gear isn't free, earn it
    - I also have opinions regarding this game, you're not special
    - LFG Heroics.

  5. #5

    Re: Shadowpriest 3.1

    i killed 2 shadowpriests who wanted to gank my dk alt while fighting two mobs

    after that, i logged on my shadow priest main and sat down crying in dalaran for the rest of the day

  6. #6

    Re: Shadowpriest 3.1

    I think blizzard needs to add better and more powerfull abilities for SP use ONLY.

    Yes, i think the best idea is to add abilites / spells / Cds / whatever - that require Shadowform to use. This would stop say, a disp priest from useing powerfull shadow survival and damage abilities.

    Shadowform is classed as a shapshift, so why not give it some abilites that can only be used while in shadowform? ( Yet somehow doesnt make us polly immune, cough druids, cough )


  7. #7

    Re: Shadowpriest 3.1

    I'm a shadow priest. My first pvp experience in wrath was while farming shadows in wintergrasp. A DK came up from behind, silenced me, summoned a bunch of undead and killed me before the silence was up. I never even got to cast a single spell. Not that it would have mattered much because as I understand it they have two immunity to magic bubbles. (Yes, I have PW:S which makes me completely immune to melee because melee only does 3000 damage once every 26 seconds right?... how could I forget my uber spell.) Anyway, I hear DKs are supposed to be that way because they're the "anit caster" class.

    Which one is the anti melee class again? The one that makes melee unable to attack for five seconds without letting them trinket out or break early due to damage? And can then become nearly immune to everything they do? And summons a bunch of minions that cause melee pushback so they can't get an attack off?

    But I digress. My second pvp experience was trying a battleground. After a few seconds of getting spanked I wondered how anyone could be playing a shadow priest in this. A quick tab revealed the obvious answer.

    1 shadow priest(me)
    5 rogues
    14 DKs

    Out of 30 players in the BG.

    /exit
    Drunk toddlers in a dryer

  8. #8

    Re: Shadowpriest 3.1

    thing is, blizz balanced pvp around resilience. the more you have the better your chances are to survive.
    resilience should have been something that is nice to have. not something that is needed to be capped to even stand a chance.

  9. #9

    Re: Shadowpriest 3.1

    Further on that point it is ludicrous that melee classes can pve gear and be competitive while casters have to be in absolute full resilence gear just to be half viable.

    As such the melee classes end up with huge dps/burst advantage while the caster's spell hit for sweet fuck all.

    The entire balance between casters and melee dps is broken... as far as I can see there is just about 0 advantage a caster has against melee... they have less health, less burst, less armor, spell pushback when being attacked...

    One of 2 things needs to occur... 1. Increase the damage ability of casters so their lack of survivability is balanced against their ability to be offensive. 1. Substantially increase the survivability of casters so they get a surviability advantage to compensate for their lack of damage in comparison to melee.

  10. #10

    Re: Shadowpriest 3.1

    What you said applies to every caster, except mages. There are hundrers of arcane mages running around at 2k+ 2v2 rateing, there burst, and survivability is too high. Iv been crit by arcane barrage for 18k. Its just lol at how OP arcane is atm, with frost not far behind it. But all other casters burst, and survivabilty is soooo low.


  11. #11

    Re: Shadowpriest 3.1

    Quote Originally Posted by heriana
    As the proverbial goes:

    Don't count your chickens before they hatch.
    For sure.

    Blizz can "talk" all they want..but im predicting they're going to make 1-2 small changes and it just simply wont be enough. They said they will fix Spriests pvp survivability, but i hope they're going to go a LOT deeper than just that. Otherwise, Spriests will survive for 6 seconds instead of 5 seconds

  12. #12
    Scarab Lord AetherMcLoud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    My own private hell
    Posts
    4,156

    Re: Shadowpriest 3.1

    Quote Originally Posted by redfly
    thing is, blizz balanced pvp around resilience. the more you have the better your chances are to survive.
    resilience should have been something that is nice to have. not something that is needed to be capped to even stand a chance.
    This is bullshit. I have close to 1000 resilience. Yet I still die in a single stun/silencelock.
    Yet on my Death Knight, I don't even wear PVP equip, I just ravage through enemies with my PVE equip.
    I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite signature on the forum.

  13. #13

    Re: Shadowpriest 3.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Chillstream
    What you said applies to every caster, except mages. There are hundrers of arcane mages running around at 2k+ 2v2 rateing, there burst, and survivability is too high. Iv been crit by arcane barrage for 18k. Its just lol at how OP arcane is atm, with frost not far behind it. But all other casters burst, and survivabilty is soooo low.
    I agree... mages are the exception, but when you look at mages they are given tools to deal with melee... blink is an unstoppable ability that allows them to gain range and it an be used while stunned, they get shields or spell armor type abilities to compensate for their lack of health, they get spells which reduce movement speed which can be cast on the move, they get spells that root the target in place...

    The thing with most other casters and i'll use spriests as an example (coz i know them best) is that they dont get enough of these types of abilities. The classes that do well in pvp have a selection of cooldowns or abilities that allow them to counter their weaknesses... spriests get 1 fear on a large cooldown and once it's been countered via a dispel or trinket they have nothing else... dispersion is about the only other abilitiy I can think of that would help and after that they are down to PW:S and healing themselves.

    It's ludicrous that Divine Hymn and Psychic Scream are on the same cooldown... if it's deamed that having 2 cc abilities is OP then why the hell do we have classes that can sap & blind? Repentance & HoJ, chain polymorph, chain cyclone? Please... i have no idea what the thought process is.

  14. #14
    Scarab Lord AetherMcLoud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    My own private hell
    Posts
    4,156

    Re: Shadowpriest 3.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    It's ludicrous that Divine Hymn and Psychic Scream are on the same cooldown... if it's deamed that having 2 cc abilities is OP then why the hell do we have classes that can sap & blind? Repentance & HoJ, chain polymorph, chain cyclone? Please... i have no idea what the thought process is.
    Cheap Shot
    Kidney Shot
    Vanish
    Cheap Shot
    Kidney Shot
    Gauge
    Blind
    Sap
    Sap

    That's like 1 minute of CC which cannot be broken by anything other than the trinket. :/
    I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite signature on the forum.

  15. #15

    Re: Shadowpriest 3.1

    Quote Originally Posted by draticus
    I'm a shadow priest. My first pvp experience in wrath was while farming shadows in wintergrasp. A DK came up from behind, silenced me, summoned a bunch of undead and killed me before the silence was up. I never even got to cast a single spell. Not that it would have mattered much because as I understand it they have two immunity to magic bubbles. (Yes, I have PW:S which makes me completely immune to melee because melee only does 3000 damage once every 26 seconds right?... how could I forget my uber spell.) Anyway, I hear DKs are supposed to be that way because they're the "anit caster" class.

    Which one is the anti melee class again? The one that makes melee unable to attack for five seconds without letting them trinket out or break early due to damage? And can then become nearly immune to everything they do? And summons a bunch of minions that cause melee pushback so they can't get an attack off?

    But I digress. My second pvp experience was trying a battleground. After a few seconds of getting spanked I wondered how anyone could be playing a shadow priest in this. A quick tab revealed the obvious answer.

    1 shadow priest(me)
    5 rogues
    14 DKs

    Out of 30 players in the BG.

    /exit
    Atleast you could have tried, as Strangulate is a 5 second silence, you could aswell use Dispersion in that time, after that, Divine hyhm(for Army of the Dead) and shield.. it's more than 4k and it's every 15 sec, not 26 sec. But it is true... they still kick our ass while we have full PvP gear and they just have some PvE gear..

  16. #16

    Re: Shadowpriest 3.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Rymezz
    Atleast you could have tried, as Strangulate is a 5 second silence, you could aswell use Dispersion in that time, after that, Divine hyhm(for Army of the Dead) and shield.. it's more than 4k and it's every 15 sec, not 26 sec. But it is true... they still kick our ass while we have full PvP gear and they just have some PvE gear..
    Also - engineers use grenades for stun, tailors use nets to keep the DK at range (or make them trinket that not the fear).

    Not sure about other professions - but things like that help.

  17. #17

    Re: Shadowpriest 3.1

    Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    This is bullshit. I have close to 1000 resilience. Yet I still die in a single stun/silencelock.
    Yet on my Death Knight, I don't even wear PVP equip, I just ravage through enemies with my PVE equip.
    wait wait wait. did you just compare the survivability gain a priest gets out of rs with the gain for a deathknight propably pvp specced?
    thats comparing apples with airplanes

    however, burst IS too high. dks and other melees are still insane...

  18. #18
    Scarab Lord AetherMcLoud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    My own private hell
    Posts
    4,156

    Re: Shadowpriest 3.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Rymezz
    Atleast you could have tried, as Strangulate is a 5 second silence, you could aswell use Dispersion in that time, after that, Divine hyhm(for Army of the Dead)
    As if a DK would let you cast a 1.5 second spell...
    I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite signature on the forum.

  19. #19
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,274

    Re: Shadowpriest 3.1

    But as Disciplin, I force a DK to blow almost every single cooldown to burst me down.

    With the change of curing diseases in shadowform, we might be their most fearsome enemy when gear and burst is balanced out.

    A PvP specced and geared Death Knight have even more trouble killing me (as Disciplin), than in PvE / PvE specced.

    So I think there is hope for any spec priest viability against a Death Knight --- Paladins on the other hand, no a chance in hell.

  20. #20

    Re: Shadowpriest 3.1

    Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    I agree... mages are the exception, but when you look at mages they are given tools to deal with melee... blink is an unstoppable ability that allows them to gain range and it an be used while stunned, they get shields or spell armor type abilities to compensate for their lack of health, they get spells which reduce movement speed which can be cast on the move, they get spells that root the target in place...
    Mages come in several shapes. The survival one - frost - is quite powerful because of the pet and survivability. It will be - actually already is - the premier mage PVP spec.

    Arcane is currently the FOTM mage PVP spec, strong on 1v1 (due to the 41 talent point) and the extremely high burst they can put out once in a few minutes (used to be 3, not sure anymore). Bound not to last, and not all that good in group fights.

    On the other hand, fire and FFB mages (later being the most common PVE spec) are probably as much as a free kill as one can become.

    Question is, are you as a priest specced for PVP? Is shadow a PVP spec?


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •