Page 1 of 15
... LastLast

The Role DKs Were "Supposed" to Fill

So today, as I once again look for a tank for a heroic pug on my mage alt, I can't help but notice the number of Blood DKs, Fury Warriors, "dps feral" Druids and Ret Paladins.

If you play one of these specs and refuse to spec for tanking, please enlighten me on your reasons. I play a prot pally main and love tanking. After playing a T6 hunter and T6 resto sham in BC, I had to try something new, and I must say, tanking is fun.

Why don't you tank?

Re: The Role DKs Were "Supposed" to Fill

I have a DK and here's why:

1. DK tanking is awkward.
    2. I can instead be top dps of the group.

because they'd rather you do all the hard work on your prot pala, then ninja the tank loot off you for "offspec".

Quote Originally Posted by Bigs
    So today, as I once again look for a tank for a heroic pug on my mage alt, I can't help but notice the number of Blood DKs, Fury Warriors, "dps feral" Druids and Ret Paladins.

If you play one of these specs and refuse to spec for tanking, please enlighten me on your reasons. I play a prot pally main and love tanking. After playing a T6 hunter and T6 resto sham in BC, I had to try something new, and I must say, tanking is fun.

Why don't you tank?
    Same reason why all priests / druids / shamans / pali's don't heal - different playstyles appeal to different people. The class mechanics and how they relate to whatever playstyle they prefer are often what draw a person to a specific job.

While I always have and always will love tanking, I can understand a little bit why certain don't like to tank. 2 reasons. One, they want to top damage meters. Two, it is MUCH easier to solo/grind/farm/quest/etc as a dps spec. I level prot from 1-70, then decided to try ret 70-80. IMO, it was much faster, however I just wasnt a fan of it. Just my 2 cents.

1) Because I PVP as Ret

2) Because my guild already has enough tanks.

3) I respec to heal quite often and respecing to tank as frequently would kill me financially.

Dual Spec will fix this, PERIOD.

Lack of healers and tanks will be ELIMINATED once dual spec is active.

It will also spawn a larget group of people who have always healed trying tanking for the 1st time and sucking and vice versa between all specs.

because I hate tanking?

If you play one of these specs and refuse to spec for tanking, please enlighten me on your reasons.
    Because, unlike you, I don't have an alt for farming/dps'ing. So I'm stuck with 1 char.

And unless you'll pay me to specc prot and back again, I can't and won't specc, because I need my char be able to farm/grind/kill with ease.

For my warrior I'm fury until I have the gear and or dual spec hits. It so much faster than trying to do dailies and quests as prot.

For my druid same as above but actually really waiting for dual spec.

As well, with the aoe zerg in Heroic's frankly I'm tired of getting bitched at for losing agro when I get like .2 seconds of initial agro time.

Quote Originally Posted by sixlocal

How's tanking with DK awkward? I have a DK myself also and I love tanking, and I'm pretty good at it also in my opinion. I don't think it's anything near awkward.

My DK is one of the offtanks in my guild.

Because most of them are DPS fucktards who want to be 1337 and see the big crits. "I don't like tanking" is a pitiful excuse. The fact is tanks are needed, and if you have a class that can tank you should fucking well do it. That way we won't have to waste half an hour in LFG looking for a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by sixlocal

2. I can instead be top dps of the group.
    Yet everything I've experienced with with dps DKs discounts this. Our WWS and those of other top guilds does as well. DK dps is mediocre at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Pafinator

Dual Spec will fix this, PERIOD.

What I see happening is paladins speccing PvE Ret and PvP Ret with the dual spec system, same with most classes.

So as a followup, will you have a tanking spec when dual specs are introduced?

edit:spelling

turkeyspit

Because I pay my $15, and that means I get to choose how I play this game, and DPS'ing is fun.

'course, I'm in a good guild with skilled players, so I haven't used the LFG channel in months.

well,mainly,i dont tank because my dps gear is wayyyy better than my tank gear and it would be a huge waste of dps if i tank in a fight/raid/heroic.I got no problem tanking though when im helping guildies farm some heroics,or helping as off tank in some raid encounters.
    Armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Neptulon&n=Decomposer

Why don't you tank?
    Why didn't you tank? Ohh you want gear on your alt... So people who want to dps should respec so you can get gear... Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Windywoo
    Because most of them are DPS fucktards who want to be 1337 and see the big crits. "I don't like tanking" is a pitiful excuse. The fact is tanks are needed, and if you have a class that can tank you should fucking well do it. That way we won't have to waste half an hour in LFG looking for a tank.
    You tank then.

Why don't you tank?
    Because I am a tank?
    Stop reading my sig, bro!

Quote Originally Posted by Pafinator

I disagree. Hybrids will have their main dps spec and another dps spec as their offspec, those without another dps spec probably won't use this facility.

My warrior used to be prot but went arms for lvling. I won't go back to prot because I don't like tanking as a warrior and I am not good at it. I used to tank on my druid but have respecced my tree to be dps focused. I don't have tank gear for my druid, plus a few bad experiences crushed my tanking confidence. My DK is tank specced and will remain that way as I find multimob tanking easier on a DK than warrior or druid. My paladin is holy and my dual spec will be prot, again because multimob tanking is easier.

I always hated tanking in pugs. Especially as a warrior or druid, since I never managed to completely master multimob tanking on them and because dpsers insist on making pulls/intercepting pulls/nuking instantly/aoe nuking I found tanking many mobs stressful. At times I was good, if the dpsers gave me a few seconds to get them on me, but as you know dpsers must be able to full nuke as soon as you pull a mob, or even before it, else its the tank who sucks for not letting them do their job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by turkeyspit
    Because I pay my $15, and that means I get to choose how I play this game, and DPS'ing is fun.
    [2]

Deleted

I play a protection paladin as well, and I fully agree with you. I wish I had discovered how fun tanking is long ago, before I spent 2 years DPSing and Healing as various classes.

I'd say a lot of people don't like tanking, because it makes you have to focus a lot, and when running tens of instances every week, it can get a bit tiresome, and if you find a bad group, it usually ends up being either the tanks fault, or the healers, and really, no one likes getting the blame. Another problem, at least that I've felt during my time as tank, is that when it comes to raiding is that guilds simply need less tank than any other role, and as a tank, the role you of course want in the raid, is MT, but there can only be one MT in each raid, and most guilds try to keep to have one single person in the guild as MT. No raidspot / the raidspot you want would in the end make you respec to a spec where you do get to raid.