Spriest Spell Rotation Question

I need some advice from some other Spriests.
    I just, last night, respecced to Shadow from holy. Currently lvl 67. I wanted to lvl a bit faster.
    I haven’t been shadow since lvl 41. Since this is my alt, it has been some length of time from 41-67.
    I know all of my shadow spells fairly well, im just a bit confused on spell rotations.
    I want to be as mana efficient as possible and keep up the mana regen speed so I can grind/quest without much stopping.

Currently, I am opening fights with MB, then dropping VT, Mind Flay, drop PW:Shield, SW:Pain, Devouring Plauge, wand till dead, or maybe drop SWeath for quicker kill.

This current rotation does awesome dmg very quickly, but it seems to be overkill,
    Not very mana efficient. I wonder if I could take out some spells in the rotation to be more efficient.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can tweak my rotations.

I understand one rotation isn’t going to work everytime, but I general idea of what I minimally need to cast for a easy kill. With room to adapt to the situation at hand.

Many Thanks to my fellow Priests,

Touson
    (former-Holy priest – Dalaran – Horde)

Deleted

Re: Spriest Spell Rotation Question

1. VT (it has cast time, so good as an opener)
    2. SW:P
    3. Mind flay
    4. Wanding

you can put in MB at 3,5 if you want to make it faster. Use VE if you lack HP at 3.5. Use SW for speed at 5.

Dont use Devouring Plague, huge Mana cost.

If you use PW:S, use it at the end of a fight, not before fight and not in the middle. You need to get out of the 5-sec rule as long as possible and the shield holds for 30 seconds, enough time to engage new mob.

The rotation that I use is Vampiric touch (read the tooltip needs to be up before you mind blast or its just a dot and you don't get the repleneshment buff), Mind Blast, SWP, devouring plague then you can just wand. Keep up your inner fire and you won't take that much damage and if you are noticing yourself taking too much thrown a VE up somewhere in there as you've got things ticking. It took me a while to get used to having to put inner fire back up as it gets used up with no shield going. PWS is the mana killer, putting it up really made the difference with my rotation.

From EJ (http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t37074-s..._specs_glyphs/)

Mearis writes:

The traditional opening sequence is something like Vampiric Touch, Devouring Plague, Mindblast, Shadow Word: Death, Shadow Word Pain - since at this point all the debuffs should be stacked on the boss.

On use + crit trinkets should be used prior to casting Shadow Word Pain as well.

After you have gotten all your dots on the boss, play as follows:
    1 Refresh VT as priority number 1
    2 Refresh Devouring Plague as priority number 2
    3 Mindblast if 1 and 2 are done
    4 Mindflay is 1, 2 are done and Mindblast is on cool-down
    5 Shadow Word Death iff you need to refresh a dot in ~2 seconds and mindblast is on cooldown. Shadow Word Death is almost never worth using except when opening, since it causes two shadow vulnerabilities when building up your stack.

If you're worried about mana efficiency, don't use Devouring plague. When I quest I use something like VT (Get it up so you can get replenishment from next spell) > MB > MF til dead. VT is going to tick for a lot, then your mind blast will bring the mob's health really low... MF will finish him off. You'll probably find that you'll never have to drink if you get Veiled Shadows and just use your Shadowfiend on cooldown.

For elites, instances, or anything someone else is tanking for you, you should probably do VT>MB>SWP>DP>SWD (Now you have 5/5 Shadow Weaving)>SWP(Yes, again. You have to refresh it to take advantage of shadow weaving)>MB and DP on cooldown>Refresh VT>MF for filler.
    http://insilicoguild.org/
    A community for everything WoW, including a forum, gallery, arcade and more.

Deleted

There really is no need to wand anymore, thats a 3 year old cave man method.

VT - SW: P - MB MF MF MF Then simply recast VT when its off. Dont use devouring plague, its mana hungry.

Mana really isnt an issue when soloing with a priest, spirit tap is very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleDrank
    The traditional opening sequence is something like Vampiric Touch, Devouring Plague, Mindblast, Shadow Word: Death, Shadow Word Pain - since at this point all the debuffs should be stacked on the boss.
    Outdated information. SW don't give two stacks shadow weaving anymore.

Awesome everyone,

thanks for the good ideas.

Just another question, I read in a post that PW:Shield isnt good for mana efficiency, but im casting it on myslef right now mid rotation so Im safe, But if i keep inner shield up, I could let the mob hit me a few times with no issues, since Im taking down normal mobs down with incredible speed. I might take that shield part out.

So , without logging in and testing yet, Im going to try this:

VT, SW:P, MF (perhaps multiple times), then SWeath

is SWeath a mana "shitty" spell, it seems to be a good spell to me, since it lessens the time im in combat, hence more kills in less time.

Im glad to hear that wanding is an old method, since its so mindless haha.

Danke.

Touson

If you're leveling, don't use SW:P or SW. Seriously.

Use VT, Mind Flay once or twice (depending on your gear), and then use Mind Blast for the killing blow to trigger 15 seconds of replenishment along with Spirit Tap.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleDrank
    From EJ (http://elitistjerks.com/f77/t37074-s..._specs_glyphs/)

Mearis writes:

On use + crit trinkets should be used prior to casting Shadow Word Pain as well.

After you have gotten all your dots on the boss, play as follows:
    1 Refresh VT as priority number 1
    2 Refresh Devouring Plague as priority number 2
    3 Mindblast if 1 and 2 are done
    4 Mindflay is 1, 2 are done and Mindblast is on cool-down
    5 Shadow Word Death iff you need to refresh a dot in ~2 seconds and mindblast is on cooldown. Shadow Word Death is almost never worth using except when opening, since it causes two shadow vulnerabilities when building up your stack.
    Good for the raiding priest, but he's talking about leveling :P

What I do as 80 when I'm killing mobs is I'll usually wind up MB -> SW:P -> MF and kill fast enough that I never go OOM. If I get bored, I'll just throw up all my dots, shield and dance like a warlock.

However, for leveling, I would recommend VT -> MB -> MF (until low) -> wand dead. If you find you're never running low on mana, you can change it up to kill faster with an extra dot(SW:P glyph is nice too!) VT -> MB -> SW:P -> MF -> SW(once in range).

Honestly though pretty much anything you do as a shadow priest will be fine. You've got plenty of abilities to regen mana in combat(Imp. Spirit Tap, Replenishment) and post-combat(Spirit Tap). Make sure you've got enough spirit on your gear to regen.

The only things I can think of if you're running out of mana would be:
    1) Not enough spirit, so Spirit Tap is useless.
    2) Constantly using PW:S, DP, Holy spells.
    3) No replenishment(forgetting to put up VT or MBing).

Don't use heavy mana spells if it is a normal creature. (non-elite, normal health, your level range).

Vamp Touch, Flays and Mind Blasts. Make sure you always get a mind blast off with touch on. Always.

With dispersion and veiled shadows, you will hardly ever have to drink unless you're doing multiple mobs.