Deleted

Disc Priest - Pain Suppression

Having played a Holy Priest for 2 years as my main but for the last year had my main as an Enhancement Shammy my priest knowledge is a bit rusty. I understand that the Disc tree has become viable as a raiding tree although more in the role of damage mitigation than out and out healing.

What I would like to know is what role Pain Suppression plays in a Disc Priests raid arsenal? From the tooltip the 40% damage reduction sounds good however the 5% threat reduction sounds bad if used on the tank. Our disc priest seems to suggest that using it on the MT is fine as he emphasises the role of the 40% damage reduction as a melee dps class these days the 5% threat off the MT can cause issues in some fights of threat capping. Yeah I know WTB better tanks.

Question is : Should a Disc Priest ever be using Pain Suppression on the MT? Or should it only be on others?

Re: Disc Priest - Pain Suppression

Quote Originally Posted by Levva
    Having played a Holy Priest for 2 years as my main but for the last year had my main as an Enhancement Shammy my priest knowledge is a bit rusty. I understand that the Disc tree has become viable as a raiding tree although more in the role of damage mitigation than out and out healing.

What I would like to know is what role Pain Suppression plays in a Disc Priests raid arsenal? From the tooltip the 40% damage reduction sounds good however the 5% threat reduction sounds bad if used on the tank. Our disc priest seems to suggest that using it on the MT is fine as he emphasises the role of the 40% damage reduction as a melee dps class these days the 5% threat off the MT can cause issues in some fights of threat capping. Yeah I know WTB better tanks.

Question is : Should a Disc Priest ever be using Pain Suppression on the MT? Or should it only be on others?
    Tanks have a lot of threat tools at their disposal right now, (Vigilance and Hand of Salvation come to mind) let alone having any Holy/Ret's HoS or the new and improved misdirect/shadow games on a 30 second cooldown.

The threat drop might make your dps cringe for a second but realistically, it's pretty negligible and can be overcome. Don't be afraid to use it.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Deleted

Really, use it on tank. I haven't ever seen tank losing enough threat to lose mob because of Pain suppression. Only place you might want to be careful is Malygos. Great extra shieldwall, altough bit worse for a tank, on less than 3 min cd. Very good.

If I understand this correctly, then the more threat the tank has done, the bigger of an issue using this would be.

If we assume 1000000 threat done, then using [spell=33206] on the tank would drop his threat by 50000, which might cause problems. However, at 100000 threat done, the drop in threat would only be 5000, or around one seconds worth of TPS.

Still, even if the tank would lose aggro because of this, I guess one dead DPS would be better than a dead tank.

You generally don't use Pain Suppression on tanks who is tanking something OTHER people are attacking.

But for Sartharion, or Kel'thuzad, it's a excellent tool. On Kel'thuzad you can put it on the add-offtank to avoid him dying to unlucky frost bolts.

And on Sartharion, you can use it on the Sartharion tank to mitigate damage of the breaths. Nobody is attacking him anyway, so a little aggro drop will mean nothing.

15+ Year Old Account

if knocking 5% threat off your tank causes a problem except on malygos he is doing something wrong.

otherwise it is normally just used for sarth+3 during breaths
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right