d4rcr3st

Important Frost question! Please help. :)

I am trying to improve my gear, gems, enchants, talents and playstyle continuesly to get a better TPS and mitigation.

So far I am full epic and doing pretty well. But now it's time to change my talents spec a bit. I have been tanking as Blood, Frost and Unholy. They're all great to tank with. But since we don't need an AOE tank in our guild, I have to choose between Blood or Frost. I know what each spec does and how the mechanics work, but one piece of information could be very vital for my final decision.

Blood is physical damage, that is loud and clear.

But here comes the question:

Is Frost physical Frost damage or magical Frost damage?

Why is this so important? Well if it would be magical Frost damage, my damage would go straight trough the boss his armor. Thus increasing my damage and ergo increasing my TPS. I have been checking diffrent websites, but I didn't find any clear answer to my question. So I decided to ask the pro's. Please answer quickly cause it's reset day and I would like to be ready for tonight.

Thanks a lot!

;D

Re: Important Frost question! Please help. :)

magical. the frost abilities like frost strike and howling blast bypass armor
    all hail king frost strike

Frost does mostly magical damage, with only OB and Blood strike doing physical damage from the attacks you use. My sig links to my armory so you can click it to check out my spec. My tps is crazy high atm, average 4.5k+ in heroics, usually over 5k if i am getting a decent amount of KM procs. My gear isn't amazing either, but rather standard.

Also with my level of gear it's good to remember that HB is way better than OB (especially because of km!). The rotations i use on bosses usually goes as:

IT-Death chill-HB-PS-BS-BS-FS
    HB-OB-OB-FS

So i'm casting 6 hb's a minute and 6 ob's a minute. With KM if i am able to get every proc used for HB it means i'm critting on average 5 out of every 6 HB's which is just nuts tbh. OB also has a crit rate of about 23% for me as well so i get good numbers from that. Sometimes i have to use a KM proc on FS due to rune cd's or hb's cd, but it still hits really hard as well.

clicky for armory

HB/FS is magical, but one of your main sources of threat is still Runestrike, like it is for every DK.

IMO what makes Frost the top single target TPS spec isn't the damage type as much as Killing Machine.

Quote Originally Posted by taek
    HB/FS is magical, but one of your main sources of threat is still Runestrike, like it is for every DK.

IMO what makes Frost the top single target TPS spec isn't the damage type as much as Killing Machine.
    ^Exactly

Free crits as a tank are awesome...especially when those free crits are tied to abilities that bypass armor like HB/FS/IT.

d4rcr3st

Ok, thanks a lot guys. Just what I needed to hear. We've just started the raid invites and within 15 minutes it's time to shine.

No further posts are needed.

<3