Poll: 51 point balance talent useless for PVE?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...

Re: 51 point balance talent useless for PVE?

My math is based on YOUR own wws link, for YOUR patchwerk fight. Not really theoretical. Added, if your guild is doing things like sarth 3 drakes, you will be like mine, not really caring about the ads on fearlina or maexxna. Which tbh, negates your argument about aoe damage on those fights, as the AE damage really does not matter, and makes no difference to the fight. If anything, it could annoy you ads nuker in 10 man fearlina more than help. So you wait for those lil ads to come on maexxna just to pop starfall? please, the only dps you need to concentrate on in this fight is nuking the boss and occasionally freeing cacoons. The fights mentioned do not have any neccesary need for the AE dps, the only fights that AE dps is IMPERITIVE is sarth 2 and 3 drakes and gluth.....maybe noth, but your other dps should be downing the mobs aswell, so unless your raid fails, you shouldnt have more than say 3/4 ads up at a time.
    Anub'Rekhan.........wtf does AE dmg have to do here from a druid? you swap dps between two ads and rekhan himself....... the occasional scarabs come out, but yout better off spending the point in Typhoon for that situation, as other dps will nuke them down to, giving your Starfall little point in being present for that AE purpose.

In both situations that you linked, Typhoon will still come out ontop, as, over time, you can cast more Typhoons, and as the situations in those fights have multiple times where you can AE (not that it is vital to the killing of the boss) Typhoon is more viable for the situation.

Anyway, we have already figured out that Starfall is only a viable spell for SITUATIONAL fights. and there are only 2/3 where the AE dps from it is needed to aid a boss killing.
    We have already done some math from a fight based on tank and spank (which was part of the argument for single target use) where it had very minimal dps increase.

Conclusion; Starfall in its current form is very minimal in dps help, any 'shining' areas are purely situational. If, like me, you really have no where better to put that last talent point of yours, then shove it in Starfall. If your not so topped up on gear, or your raid composition lacks any mana regen classes, then tbh, your better off spending it in a mana regen talent (if mana does trouble you that much)

Its not totally useless, but until it gets buffed, depending on your gear and raid composition (again situational variables) It lacks what i call 'a decent spell'.

What alot of people are trying to do, it mix in factors where dps doesnt matter....like AE damage to the ads in say maexxna or fearlina. The main focus of you dps in those fights should be the main boss, not the AE ads. So, yes it boosts your dps within the fight itself, but not neccessarily does more damage to where it matters most, which is on the main boss.
    Retards should not be aided. They should just be pointed toward the coldest pole on which to stick their tongue.
    A Balance Druid who has balanced the Balance in his Balance Spec between Crit and Haste is a Balanced Balance Druid.
    80 Druid (exBC toon), 80 Mage (Arcane), 80 DK (lol), 80 Hunter (MM), 80 Pally(prot/ret), 61 Rogue (Ass/Subt), 80 Lock (Demo/Affli), 23 Warr (Prot/fury hybrid).
    Pally - http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thunderhorn&cn=Nikoli.
    Hunter - http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thunderhorn&cn=Grubba

15+ Year Old Account

1. I was talking about medium9's math.

2. Your entire first paragraph is about just straight DPSing a boss down and ignoring the other parts of the fight and that is pretty silly. Of course using starfall when little spiders come out on maex is important, otherwise they start attacking healers and that is not a good thing. If you are doing more damage to mobs you are helping the raid. You continue in this paragraph to argue that I shouldn't even be AEing on Anub...you obviously miss the entire point of the parse so I will explain it again: If I had not used starfall during that time I would have DONE LESS DAMAGE, which means Starfall is an increase which is what this entire thread is about.

3. Typhoon will not come out on top because the adds have to be perfectly grouped to ensure that it hits all of them, while Starfall will hit anything in the room, no matter where which is why it is so useful in certain situations.

The rest of your post is fine, no one has ever said Starfall is the best talent ever, just that it has use on multi-mob and single target DPS if used wisely.

Although you end with this gem:
    What alot of people are trying to do, it mix in factors where dps doesnt matter....like AE damage to the ads in say maexxna or fearlina. The main focus of you dps in those fights should be the main boss, not the AE ads. So, yes it boosts your dps within the fight itself, but not neccessarily does more damage to where it matters most, which is on the main boss.
    Sure, the main goal is to DPS the boss, but there will come a time when you will enter a raid and not be able to laugh through it (at least I hope we will come back to a time like this.) Once you are there you won't be able to ignore 75% of the bosses mechanics and just nuke them down, we will need to kill the adds faster, or you will need to be mobile and use an AE. Just imagine a fight like felmyst where you are killing the skeles tanked by a prot pally, how great is Starfall there while you can AE them and run from gas clouds? If raiding every gets that difficult again we will see how many times you can "just nuke the boss"

Well, its not the worse 51 point talent for PVE, at least yours does something.

Deep Freeze is utterly useless in all of PVE, it only works on mobs that are already frozen and everything in a raid is immune to it.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

15+ Year Old Account

Your analogy is terrible and Starfall is a DPS gain, get over it. We don't HAVE to use terms like "maybe" because right now it is a DPS gain on single targets, I was merely pointing out that ignoring mechanics of a boss fight to try and say an ability is useless does not make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Eilt
    Your analogy is terrible and Starfall is a DPS gain, get over it. We don't HAVE to use terms like "maybe" because right now it is a DPS gain on single targets, I was merely pointing out that ignoring mechanics of a boss fight to try and say an ability is useless does not make any sense.

starfall is a dps gain, but just barely. It won't be long into ulduar that a wrath cast will be more dps on a single target than starfall. 1 point in gale winds is already worth more dps than 1 point in starfall. it may not be a dps loss now. but that does not make it a good talent.