Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Upcoming changes to Mana Regeneration

As a resto Shaman, i doubt this will impact me much, but i would really like to see numbers. I know it's still early tho...

Out of my 350 out-of-5s Mp5, 134 is from Spirit. I'm wondering how much of a drop i can expect... maybe what.. 20mp5 at worse?

im kinda confused about the spirit thingy do we need it anymore after this?

Good thing I have been working on a tank off-set for my holydin...

Quote Originally Posted by Ramuh
    i bet on replenishment for mages! other than that, yeah, agree, never being oom is kinda boring.
    Perhaps they will make the Water Elemental give Replenishment, but I doubt it. The Warlock notes indicate Destruction brings it now, so we have:

Shadow Priest
    Destruction Warlock
    Survival Hunter
    Ret Paladin

I tend to doubt they would give Fire or Arcane mages Replenishment, it would just be overboard. Perhaps they will throw it into a shaman totem or something, but 4 classes with Replenish seems reasonable.

As to Paladins, if they intended for Divine Plea to be a Ret/Prot ability, make it the 11 point talent in Prot and give Holy a new way to regen mana.

Clever use of clearcasting procs and surge of light for good mana regen added a lot of skill to healing as a holy priest, and let good priests have a big surge of mana.

While they say they want to make regen more important and that we use our spells wiser, I can help but feel my ability to control my own regen and mana gain during combat has now DECREASED and we all have the same baseline regen while casting whether we use good tactics or not.

I will reserve final judgement till I see more, but at the moment, it doesn't seem very good.

Also "healers have an easy time with regen" is a bit subjective, in fights such as Malygos and Sapphiron, a lot of healers struggle to last till the end of the fight already.

I wonder if the they are upping the difficulty of being a healer too much, relative to how hard it is to be a dps in a similar encounter.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account

Bliz in typical fashion will take it too far and in a few months 3.2 will have changes aimed at buffing mana regen because it's too low. Typical seesaw they do with all nerfs/buffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajaxthegreat
    Perhaps they will make the Water Elemental give Replenishment, but I doubt it. The Warlock notes indicate Destruction brings it now, so we have:

Shadow Priest
    Destruction Warlock
    Survival Hunter
    Ret Paladin

I tend to doubt they would give Fire or Arcane mages Replenishment, it would just be overboard. Perhaps they will throw it into a shaman totem or something, but 4 classes with Replenish seems reasonable.

As to Paladins, if they intended for Divine Plea to be a Ret/Prot ability, make it the 11 point talent in Prot and give Holy a new way to regen mana.
    3 of those 4 classes/spec are some of the most under represented classes, on my server at least. it seems now that the only readily available class with replenish is Pallies. Sure adding it to warlocks is fine, but how many times have you gone to heroic arch and had lock gear drop only to realize there is no lock in the group.

Id like to see it come from *gasp* a healing class, or a tank class

Quote Originally Posted by Elektrik
    Yeah, this is exactly right. What's the problem?
    Some people don't want to do things the hard way like big, bad boys. Some people just want to have fun.

Making healing more stressful will make many people respec or reroll, and well, these days healers are like female dwarves. =/
    \(~.^)/ - Lorsty the Snowman - \(^.~)/

Anyone else think the 50% reduction on divine plea is kinda harsh? I'm thinking more like 35% or 40%

15+ Year Old Account

Ok, so we're left with stacking one stat heavily over our other needed stats just to maximize benefit from a group buff that a 5 man heroic (and leveling instances) could quite possibly not have.

I don't know about you, but I've had quite a few heroics where I was the only one with a mana bar.
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Faithshield
    Clever use of clearcasting procs and surge of light for good mana regen added a lot of skill to healing as a holy priest, and let good priests have a big surge of mana.

While they say they want to make regen more important and that we use our spells wiser, I can help but feel my ability to control my own regen and mana gain during combat has now DECREASED and we all have the same baseline regen while casting whether we use good tactics or not.

I will reserve final judgement till I see more, but at the moment, it doesn't seem very good.

Also "healers have an easy time with regen" is a bit subjective, in fights such as Malygos and Sapphiron, a lot of healers struggle to last till the end of the fight already.

I wonder if the they are upping the difficulty of being a healer too much, relative to how hard it is to be a dps in a similar encounter.

Seems to go against the, take the player not the class. If you need ore more skill for mana regen and everyone just gets what ever they get, then it nerfs the skilled and buffs the unskilled. Double edged sword. Increases the bad healer population for lower level instances but decreases the skilled population as they look for other classes to play because it's become too stressful.

Quote Originally Posted by majko53
    ye and holy cant spend 11 points in prot....
    11 points in prot means giving up all those crit talents in the Ret tree; seems like a fair tradeoff to me as someone with a holy pally. And I meant include the 50% MS effect on the talent if you did this.

Consider a spec like http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?pala...h=110819040605 where the 11th point in Prot is Divine Plea (at 50% MS). Doesn't seem overpowered to me at all.

Edit: Add link

Quote Originally Posted by Elektrik
    Yeah, this is exactly right.  What's the problem?
    The 'problem' is that DPS got numbed down so a sea pirate with a pet monkey and a hook for a left hand can play.
    Tanking got overhauled (read: simplified just like the DPS role) and given all new sorts of shiny toys up to even a increase in damage output.

So where is Blizzard going to enforce the required benchmarks to make encounters somewhere remotely challenging ? Exactly.

Not only are we working with outdated mechanics in a tedious environment - we haven't received any worthwhile talents, haven't gotten our previous one buffed/altered nor received any new shiny toys or saw any beneficial bone thrown at us - we only got our job made more harder and more tedious.

I have to watch my surroundings, twenty five health bars and cooldowns - I certainly do not intend on having to watch my mana-bar as well.

As a resto shaman who never goes OOM...all I can say is...hahahahahaahhahah! Hope you all can adjust your healing playstyles!

:P

Deleted

Oh yeah, great. First they say, they don't want healers to only watch health bars. My understanding of this was actually that healers would now be able to see a little more of the actual game. But nonono, they want us to look not only at health bars, but also at our mana bar!!

On a more serious note, I think that making mana a scarce resource is a relatively stupid thing to do:

All melees have a resource that actually limits the direct use of an ability (no rage --> no shieldbash or whatever, no energy --> no eviscerate (no clue about rogues ), no runepower or rune available, no <insert something DKs do>, etc. you get my drift).

Making Mana a limiting resource is completely different: You can still go all out on all of your abilities for a minute, 2 maybe 3, depending on how hard they'll nurf it. BUT, then suddenly you're completely out and can't do anything for a rather long while, when your mana is gone. Especially as a healer, I guess that means: Tank dead, wipe.

Whereas I think it is ok to have to longer-term plan a fight, it just even more widens the gap between DPS players who just have to do their (easy) thing and healing players that require skill... Do you really think that will help with the healer shortage that a lot of people here are complaining about?

Just my 2 cents.

Deleted

Oh and by the way, everyone that says that this is a good thing because now their shaman doesn't go oom faster than whatever other healer(s) they have in their raid is just one of those sad, sad persons that WoW is soooo full of that begrudge everyone else for the skill they don't have...

Makes me sad.

15+ Year Old Account

I guess it could be worse, they could change the 5 second rule to be out of combat, like other games.

-knocks on wood-

Anyway, back on topic, I agree with posters above, this does noting to alleviate the healer shortage.

Heck, if my guild looses one healer because of vacation/work or something we've gotta split our 25 man into 10 mans because we only have a small amount of healers.
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest

All the Divine Plea nerf is going to do is stop mid-range/early raiders from being successful in any capacity. Sure, tons of high-end paladins never run out of mana, because the people they raid with take less damage. For mid-level or new raiders, paladins are going to start running out of mana real quick due to the 50% heals they'll have to double-up to heal the same amount. Sure, you could use AW to make up for it, but there goes your bubble that could save you from the stray mob that'll 2-shot you.

I know that this all depends on the players you raid with, but I've healed 10 and 25 man raids recently and it's no walk in the park, even with skilled players. This nerf just serves more to seperate the super-elite players from the merely good ones.

All Blizzard's rhetoric about healers not running out of mana doesn't resonate with my experience at all, and seems to apply only to bleeding-edge raiders; And I can't expect that Blizz is concerned that paladins aren't running out of mana in 5-mans. I have 21k mana and I still run out of mana during tougher raid fights.

If blizzard wants to nerf DP, they should just nerf the regen'ed amount of mana, not this 50% healing reduction bull. If it's "go time", I need my heals to hit at full capacity. Ironically, I'm going to need DP at that time most of all. I'd rather be able to cast a spell just once at full effect, than HAVE to cast it twice for the same.

Holy paladins beware, your job just became f&$%ing stressful.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Galdinar
    I guess it could be worse, they could change the 5 second rule to be out of combat, like other games.

-knocks on wood-

Anyway, back on topic, I agree with posters above, this does noting to alleviate the healer shortage.

Heck, if my guild looses one healer because of vacation/work or something we've gotta split our 25 man into 10 mans because we only have a small amount of healers.
    Pretty typical of many guilds. Healing sucks and is no fun and gets no visibility. Everyone wants to DPS because it gets all the attention.

All I have to say is, YAY more downtime!! Just what I wanted! Better grab some extra strudel, jic.