Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Upcoming changes to Mana Regeneration

I've become quite spoiled (as a healing priest) with the way mana has regenerated since the release of BC. Back in "the day" (it was, indeed, a Wednesday) in 40-man raids, we used to have healing rotations set fom MC, AQ40, and BWL. We KNEW that the main bank of healers would go OOM on a boss fight, and they would rotate out at 25% with the next batch subbing in. Of course, this kind of thing could never work now because of healing meters, dps meters, etc. Back on that Wednesday, we raided to win the battle...there was strategy, teamwork, and no chest-thumping or finger-pointing. Now everyone fights for top of the meter and figures that will get the job done. Sounds alot like a Wall-Street brokerage house to me. To be fair, though, alot of guild leaders and raid leaders use those same meters to determine who is pulling their weight.

I think this will be a great thing for 10 and 25-man raids going forward...but I worry a bit about how it will dramatically slow down heroics while the casters sit and drink after every pull (where there is generally only 1 healer). Can we do something in 5-man content to keep mana regen higher? Maybe more mobs dropping a bit of "loose mana?" Or maybe some powerful instance-specific pots that could drop (like we used to have in TK?)

I'll still probably be burning Divine Plea as often as I am now. With the returns I'm getting on crits and hitting the haste cap I can still be pretty efficient, even at 50% effectiveness for 15 seconds.

Ultimately it'll make us not hit the button immediately when the cooldown is up, but after the boss' particular rage or damage buff expires on its cycle. And it'll just stress the other healers more. No skin off my back.

So I don't play a holy paladin, but did they even need Divine Plea in the first place? It seems that as gear is scaling and they still put +16 intellect in EVERY slot, replenishment was keeping them pretty much fully charged anyway.

Also, great, holy/disc priests are pretty much going to play the replenishment game same as paladins now, if they weren't already.

Quote Originally Posted by LavaDuck
    Wow, but I guess we've seen it coming. Since WOTLK they've been telling us healers have it too easy with mana.
    What I'm not getting is why this is only a problem for healers. DPS isn't supposed to have mana be a factor?

So...let me get this straight. We want our cake and eat it too, right? So is everyone here that doesn't like the changes to healing saying that healing isn't too easy right now? There are forum posts up and down about how "boring" and "easy" healing is right now. How healers never go OOM, etc.

Raids are easy because of the following:

A) Threat generation (for non-idiot tanks) is easy, making watching threat meters almost an afterthought. Blizzard could change this by reducing the threat multipliers for all tanks across the board while slightly increasing TPS for most other classes (forcing other classes to use their threat-reducing abilities - when was the last time a rogue used vanish in PvE?), and listen to the tanks QQ.

B) Due to the QQ about everyone's class not being on top of DPS meters, Blizzard increased DPS damage for most classes across the board. Perhaps Blizzard could make every encounter a DPS race and have enrage meters that stack based on how long the encounter is going (like Widow, but worse).

C) Change healing mechanics (see blue post).

How's this as an idea....we all adapt to the changes, and play. Or we can all QQ and whine and bitch and moan about A VIDEOGAME - which is obviously much more fun.

Blizzard is going to use the nerf bat, and swing too hard, player QQ, buffs come now all the content is too easy (player QQ), cycle continues, etc.,etc. How about we as players give some constructive feedback (not just nerf nerf nerf buff buff buff QQ QQ QQ), and while Blizzard chews on our suggestions, we adapt to the game we love to play?

Lol, i was ready to nerdrage at shamans getting bunched in with pallies/druids/priests for op mana regen, but it looks like shamans have dodged this swing of the nerfbat ^_^
    Miklovan - Nightmares Asylum - Mannoroth - US
    My Shaman - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...oth&n=Miklovan

Most healers are finding the game boring and healing boring. What they should be concetrating on is making healing more fun. IE some kinds of dps = healing, healing certain person increase their spell damage or melee damage anything to make healing more fun and exciting. Healers just want more challenge in a FUN way not in a complicated boring way like watching mana regen.

Going OOM as a healer doesn't "make your job harder," it just means everyone is going to die and there will be a wipe. There isn't exactly a lot you can do about running OOM, drink your 1 potion maybe, pop Divine Plea and hope you can keep up with the incoming damage...

The end result will be that you won't be able to bring mediocre DPS anywhere, because you have to kill the boss in a very finite amount of time.
    I liked not having to wait for my mana to fill up after every single pull, what's wrong with the game being fun Bliz?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Acid
    So I don't play a holy paladin, but did they even need Divine Plea in the first place? It seems that as gear is scaling and they still put +16 intellect in EVERY slot, replenishment was keeping them pretty much fully charged anyway.
    Divine Plea was directed towards Retribution and Protection Paladins :-)

My question is, why do they nerf pretty much all healing classes when healers is the biggest role WoW is missing at the moment? Can't stand all the "LFM Healers" to guilds, PUG's and such.

<Victory Call> of Trollbane EU - 1/8H 25M

Quote Originally Posted by Caronwyn
    Divine Plea was directed towards Retribution and Protection Paladins :-)
    They keep saying that, but its in the Holy section of my spellbook >_>

"Regeneration while not casting (outside of the “five second rule”) will be decreased. We think that (1) the ability to cast heal over time spells and then sit back and (2) benefitting from a clearcasting proc that also gets you out of the five second rule both provide too much mana regeneration, even over short time periods."

I though that was the whole point of clearcast, to be able to heal efficiently if youre smart and can combine things like that.

Its not the manaregen that is buffed too much, its the current raid content being a complete and total joke when you have full naxx25 and higher gear.

I had insane mana problems when i had full T6 when we started with Naxx 10 man. When I had Heroic(Naxx 10 man and Heroics), I had problems in Naxx25 man, and it wasint until Malygos and Sath 3 drakes that i felt my Naxx25 gear being less and less pressured. But with probly the best optimized gear for regen that i could possilby get: Yeah, i dont have mana problems in the current raids anymore.

If you would just go ahead and release ulduar now, i bet you we woulnt last long even with this "OP" mana regen.

I think this is one of the worst changes I have seen in my life. This is taking mana regen down a level, making mp5 the way to go now or intellect(as priests). I agree there are some bizarre circumstances; for example, there was a priest in a 3D run who could hit 2,100 spirit, with over 700 mp5 while casting. The problem isn't mana regen, people just don't have to heal anymore, and that is the problem.

As a priest who normally tops the so-called "meters" with effective healing, and never reaching zero mana I believe the tanks are the issues in why mana regeneration is so high. During an average fight, the tank needs less heals than the raid does, you just don't heal as much anymore.

I find myself sitting outside the 5SR more time than I am inside the 5SR. People just don't need to heal anymore, bosses don't put the damage out as they should. Fights like Sapphiron who is currently bugged are the only fights you really have to heal on, and even then is paly spamming HL on the tank, priest spamming PoM and binding heals. And shamans with cheatheal on melee. It just isn't even that hard anymore, Frost Resistance wtf is that?

The only way people die now a days is they're too undergeared for the raid, jump into lava waves, or void zones.

In my honest opinion, nerf tanks, and increase the amount of raid damage. It will actually allow healers to heal instead of standing there seeing how much mana they don't have to spend, or how much overhealing they can get.

Besides, look at Prot in pvp, its almost no contest 1v1 unless you're an amazing pvper.

DONT NERF SPIRIT!

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    Originally Posted by Bornakk (Blue Tracker)

• In addition, we are also changing the way Spiritual Attunement works. In situations with a large amount of outgoing raid damage, as well as in PvP, this passive ability was responsible for more mana regeneration than we would like. We want to keep the necessary benefit it grants to tanking Protection paladins, while making it less powerful for Holy paladins in PvP or raid encounters with a lot of group damage.
    If this starts burning on PvE tankadins, there is gonna be so much outcry about it. As if we didn't have enough mana problems as it is....
    Ret as well.

A very sizable portion of my mana regen come from SA. As a random example I looked at our last Kelthuzad Kill.

Sanctified Judgement : 42 Times ( 27679 Mana)
    Spiritual Attunement : 223 Times ( 22454 Mana)
    Judgement of Wisdom(R1) : 114 Times ( 10017 Mana)
    Mana Spring Totem : 216 Times ( 7344 Mana)
    Replenishment : 363 Times ( 6203 Mana)
    Divine Plea : 12 Times ( 4004 Mana)

Granted I didn't need to use Divine Plea much, but Spiritual attunement makes up about 30% of a Rets mana regen. It restores about 2000 mana per cast, even if I was chain casting it, it still wouldn't make up for what I would lose if they greately reduce SA...and I'm not a healer, my mana isn't a problem.

Just as long as they don't nerf life tap AGAIN then I don't give a damn.

Intresting to say the least... Not good ... just intresting

For holy paladin perspective - those that are not raiding 24/7 - this takes care of all chance of 5 man grouping. Now they will NOT be able to use the extra mana they so despiretly need in the big AOE fights and throwing out heals to 5 ppl at the same time ... Why you might ask? Because nerfing spiritual atunment for them means they no longer get heals back from BOL when it heals themselfs.

For all the other healers. Will this make your 3-7 days playing WOW for 3-5 hours raiding more fun ? Answer - no

For Blizzard. Will this solve the healing shortage ingame? Will this prevent ppl that play healing classes beeing FORCED to play healers and then come whining again that they are not viable as other specs of their class ? Again - answer is no.

Blizzard needs to sit down now and actually totally rethink healing in general. Why for example are 6-8 healers needed for 25 man raid while just one tank in some encounters ?

I stopped playing healer in wow cause I gave up on the buff - nerf cycle they put classes through. It has now started again with the huge buffs to priest class that after dual spec can switch between the two healing specs and whooola - thats all the healing your raid will ever need. 7 priests healers in a guild - and no need for other healing classes since its to hard to rely on 1 pala to show up to all raid - but to much having 2 paladins cause one would ALWAYS be sitting out.

Gratz Blizzard.

And I feel real sorry for holy paladins that have 3 single target button to chose from only - and now their main conserne will be running out of mana while keeping 5 ppl up.

Aghh as if playing a healing class isn't hard enough. We have to take a minimal amount of healers to raids as it is because of the mass healer shortage. There is NEVER a stage where i stop casting unless I am completely oom and i have no other choice but to stand there and cry.

"We think that (1) the ability to cast heal over time spells and then sit back and (2) benefitting from a clearcasting proc that also gets you out of the five second rule both provide too much mana regeneration, even over short time periods."

They make it sound like i cast a few hots and then just stand there and enjoy the scenery and non-casting mana regen!

Way to make healing more appealing, maybe i should just roll an OP death knight instead, like everyone else. No mana, no problem.

Yay Blizz, nerf healing even more. That will make more people want to do it!
    Glad I'm getting my bear tank geared up, time to retire my holy pally.

I'd like to know what developer came up with this idea, because I don't think it's a very good one.

Being an active raider myself, I am well aware that some classes are built to be mana fountains. Others, however, are not designed to be such. The ones who are built to regen mana like mad will be effected and thus become more challenging, sure. But the ones who DO run out of mana will suffer greatly. I'm very skeptical of this.

Leave Spiritual Attunement alone! My prot pally's 5.5k mana pool didn't do nothin' to nobody! It's small and shy and quiet and cute, please don't kill it.

I don't understand the wow community. Wrath is released and there is mass QQ that raid content is too easy. Blizzard examines the situation and decides that mana regen is too high that is trivializing content. They announce changes and people QQ that healing is going to be too tough. I'll be honest, I'm a noob healing priest and can pretty much ignore my mana bar, cast like crazy and still have plenty of mana at the end of the fight. (in naxx 10) sapph has been the only fight that really challenged my mana pool.