How to remain having 540 defence?

Atm, i got 541 defence, mostly crafted and heroics gear, frost tank.
    Now, i got 80 badges, and wanted to buy smth, but i realized if i buy t7 gloves or chest, i will fall bellow 540 def, 530 possibly. So, what should i do, maybe i missed smth? Or maybe i gem for defence i miss? Or maybe dodge and parry on t7 increase defence also?

Thnx

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account

Re: How to remain having 540 defence?

Dodge and Parry isn't considered defense, so if you fall below 540, you gem for it.
    Jeffrey Kaplan: The real goal is throughout the Warcraft games how many times can you kill Mal'Ganis?

Unless you have the +25 def rune on your weapon, you will go under the def cap until you get more naxx gear. I always thought it was very strange that the crafted blue gear had more defense than the naxx gear. Being def capped really isn't that big of a deal. I raided most of naxx in limbo between 525 and 535 defense and had no problems. Now I have 2/5 t7.25 and the rest of my gear is from naxx or sarth and my defense is at 542 with the +25 def rune. You might try gemming and enchanting for defense too.

I had the same problem on my warrior, going from heroics/crafted gear to naxx10 epics leads to a drop in defense (but a large increase in avoidance).. You'll have to live with gemming everything for defense as long as you're in this "grey zone". Once you get naxx25 level gear you can start gemming for other stats again.
    Originally Posted by Eyonix
    We see comments on the difficulty of a raid dungeon every time we've released one since after Blackwing Lair. The complaints never come from the players who actually did any of the content interestingly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Totschlager
    Being def capped really isn't that big of a deal. I raided most of naxx in limbo between 525 and 535 defense and had no problems.
    This is not true. If you are MTing bosses you should be def capped. If you take a crit on a boss like Maex where your healers can't heal you = wipe. Yes at 530 def chance of crit is very small....but it's there. And not being crit capped is simply being a bad tank and not looking out for your raid/guild. One unlucky roll on a boss attack and you owe them all a repair bill for being too lazy to gear properly.

It's advised that you SHOULD have 540 def for raids. It's not a true requirement. I didn't start with 540, it went fine. Your healers have to not be stupid for this to happen however.

If you have the +25def skill rune of your weapon and all the +def enchants ... you gears must be very bad for you to go under 540. Go get the trinket from Loken and search for the best tanking pieces for DK. If you are thinking about DW tanking in blues ... good luck, you will need it.

I hit 540 at LVL 78 and have never dipped below it since that time. Trinkets, gems and enchants are the way to get and stay there until Heroes and Valorous - and I did that long before SSG rune was out. When you get a new piece that loses defense for you, you have to make it up with gems and enchants. I spent my first Emblems of Heroism on the available neck (Chained Military Gorget) and belt (Waistguard of Living Iron) which conveniently comes with a yellow slot (perfect for +16 DEF gem). Also, I took BS, which gave me a total of 3 extra gemslots which, when filled with +16 DEF gems, gave me +48 more defense rating - not shabby.

Trinkets:
    Seal of the Pantheon: +65 defense (drops from Loken in Halls of Lightning, NORMAL Mode only!)
    Repelling Charge: +85 defense (drops from Thaddius in Naxx10, uncommon drop rate)

Enchants and Gems:

Enchants:
    +12 or +16 to cloak (steelweave/titanweave respectively)
    +22 def to chest (better than any other enchant for a tank anyway)
    +12 def to bracers
    SSG rune on weapon
    +37 stam / +20 defense enchant / arcanum on head - Revered with Argent Crusade
    +20 dodge / +15 defense - enchant / arcanum for Exalted with Sons of Hodir (or get BC version/honored with Hodir version - 15 dodge / 10 def)

Gems:
    Thick Autumn's Glow = +16 to defense
    Champion's Monarch Topaz = +8 Str, +8 Def
    Enduring Forest Emerald = +8 Def, +12 Stam
    Glimmering Monarch Topaz = +8 Parry, +8 Def
    Resolute Monarch Topaz = +8 Expertise, +8 Def
    Stalwart Monarch Topaz = +8 Dodge, +8 Def

Since the advent of SSG rune, it is a cinch to stay at 540 no matter what. Do a little research (or use this).

Best of luck to ya.
    <==== B Team Raider: probably not welcome in your group.