Thread: Post Your UI

  1. #10061
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusk View Post
    What's done so far, think i should add a shadow to each frame like bOOURNS has?
    I suggest not using any shadowing as well.
    In-fact...I don't even like the use of that particular texture on your health and power bars.
    The actual height of your bars is already so short that any shadowing inside the bar makes it appear even smaller.
    Add to that the overlay of the text, you don't get much visual representation of the bars.
    I would rethink the texture choice and go with something a bit more 1 dimensional.

    Side notes: Remove the spacing for the debuff icons so that it mimics the buff auras and remove the shadow on your castbar text

    <3
    Ish

  2. #10062
    I think people need to stop stating their opinion of personal taste as fact. If people want to use a different borders or shadows let them. Just because you prefer a more defined border or different textures doesn't mean it's crap and needs to change, it's their UI and they spent the time to make it, so it's obviously something they like and want it to look that way.

    If everyone just did what someone else prefers then no UI would be unique and they all would look the same. I stopped posting because after a while of using people's suggestions things quickly turn into someone else's UI and not something I created and wanted.

    Now I do support suggestions of placements and overall consistent look to a UI, but suggesting different textures or borders because your own taste is different is just plain stupid.

  3. #10063
    Are you trolling right now???

    He ASKED people for their opinion...

    I didn't tell him WHAT texture to use, I suggested he try a different type of texture in order to make the smaller health bars a bit more prominent.

    I gave him a reason for every suggestion I made other than the side notes, and those don't need a reason b/c they are in reference to design consistency.

    I don't think you're quite grasping the purpose of this thread.

    Tree, sorry in advance for the derailment that is going to ensue.

  4. #10064
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusk View Post
    What's done so far, think i should add a shadow to each frame like bOOURNS has?

    <snip>
    I really like that.
    Keep it up I want to see the whole thing!
    Last edited by Treeston; 2013-02-14 at 06:30 AM.

  5. #10065
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    ellinois
    Posts
    32


    I figured if I'm showing my UI, might as well show off a few other things
    Last edited by Treeston; 2013-02-14 at 06:31 AM.

  6. #10066
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishtara View Post
    In-fact...I don't even like the use of that particular texture on your health and power bars.
    Just to be contrary - that texture is what I think makes your bars 'pop'. It adds a depth to them that is missing in similar 'flat' textured bars. That said, I find that I LOVE a lot of things in screenshots, but once I try them in-game they just don't work out. Should you share these publicly someday, I hope this doesn't turn out to be the case!

  7. #10067
    I think you can make a strong case for simple things like borders or font choices being good or bad. The thing is: it doesn't matter. The game runs a slow enough pace that a UI that's "half as good" as ideal is still is efficient enough to do the job. You can be "sub optimal" in order to serve some aesthetic preference and it doesn't actually matter.

    Think about it like qualifying for a race. You have to do one lap in at most 1 minute. If you're doing it in 30 seconds then you have plenty of time you can trade for "strutting" for the fans, taking it easy so you don't pull a muscle before the race, or just half assing because you're hungover from the per race party. So long as you can hit the qualify time it doesn't matter. Some people want to set a record qualify time, some want to look cool for the press. To each his/her own.

    It's kinda funny to talk to "real nerds" with tweaked out Vim/zsh/etc setups. We can type at 120 words/minute, the editor is optimized to cut any action down to 5 keystrokes or less, but then we write maybe 5000 characters in an 8 hour work day. 95% of your day is waiting on compiles, tests, or thinking about what to do next. Just like wow-UI people super nerds like to justify it in terms of "more efficient" but really it's just fun to tinker and the gains are impossibly small or non existent. I'm guilty of it with my track bike (and I suspect everybody else that goes to secret street just likes to tinker and cant really tell the difference between an eigth turn of adjustment on their rear shocks too).

    I wonder why we find it so hard to admit that this is just fun to play with and sometimes we do dumb things because we think it looks cool?


    I recorded the first of a new UI series today: why my tank UI sucks and what we can learn from it. My new series will probably be a healing UI but I need to find a new guild to play with for 5.2 or it might end up crappy.

  8. #10068
    A good designer wants an interface to be as functionally efficient as possible, regardless of what the minimal requirements are to "do the job" that the interface is created to do.

    Some people are satisfied with mediocrity and having the mindset that something is just "good enough."
    I am not one of those people, I want something to be as good as it can be

    As a side note, you have a nice voice for instructional videos :P

    <3
    Ish

  9. #10069
    Pandaren Monk solvexx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Sydney, Australia.
    Posts
    1,888
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishtara View Post
    A good designer wants an interface to be as functionally efficient as possible, regardless of what the minimal requirements are to "do the job" that the interface is created to do.

    Some people are satisfied with mediocrity and having the mindset that something is just "good enough."
    I am not one of those people, I want something to be as good as it can be

    As a side note, you have a nice voice for instructional videos :P

    <3
    Ish

    You come off very.. Self righteous.
    If UIs were a religion you'd be the head preacher whose opinion is always correct.


    OT: I believe regardless of textures it's not really anyones place to say they don't like their textures to the point of creating paragraphs as to why what they've chosen is wrong.
    Last edited by solvexx; 2013-02-14 at 08:42 AM.

  10. #10070
    Quote Originally Posted by Crummy View Post
    Also, added a GCD bar to the castbar itself. So all creds to him for the dot/castbar
    Ideas? Tips?


    *edit* fixed the link

    How did you do the GCD bar?

  11. #10071
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishtara View Post
    I suggest not using any shadowing as well.
    In-fact...I don't even like the use of that particular texture on your health and power bars.
    The actual height of your bars is already so short that any shadowing inside the bar makes it appear even smaller.
    Add to that the overlay of the text, you don't get much visual representation of the bars.
    I would rethink the texture choice and go with something a bit more 1 dimensional.

    Side notes: Remove the spacing for the debuff icons so that it mimics the buff auras and remove the shadow on your castbar text

    <3
    Ish
    The texture will remain, i love that one (fer 34) but thanks for noticing the spacing between the weakauras and the enemy castbar text, will get right on it
    And with the background im using on my unitframes the visual representation is not a problem, here's a pic ->



    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    I really like that.
    Keep it up I want to see the whole thing!
    Thanks, should be done in 1-2 days, just raidframes and bossframes left, will post a pic when it's done.
    Im also thinking about uploading this UI on wowinterface for those who are interested.
    Last edited by Rusk; 2013-02-14 at 10:13 AM.

  12. #10072
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,633
    Quote Originally Posted by bOOURNS View Post
    Now I do support suggestions of placements and overall consistent look to a UI, but suggesting different textures or borders because your own taste is different is just plain stupid.
    But that's the way these threads work. The whole point of a thread like this is for people to suggest things and those things are going to be anything and everything. You can't post in a post your UI thread and expect everybody to think it's the best and that there's nothing wrong with it. Everybody has their own personal taste and will suggest them to a user because they do think it's better than the one that is used and they also believe that it will improve the UI. It's usually the little things that make the biggest difference to some, so they'll suggest all the little things.

    It's down to the person creating and posting the UI to change what's suggested or keep it the way it is. You say you've stopped posting because you used too many peoples suggestions and the UI was no longer yours. That means you're the one responsible for the changes made. You don't have to use peoples suggestions because you can't please everybody. I've been told endlessly that the 3D portraits on my frames don't look right and the plain black texture looks better. I don't agree with it and I think the portrait adds a nice texture to the frame so I have kept them.

    It's still my UI and it's still my decision on how I do things, I don't have to follow every suggestion posted, I just like to know what people think as I am sure most people who post their UI do.
    Random stuff WoW UI Enthusiast BNet
    Youtube Some old UIs Hulari#21213(EU)
    Stream (updated, usually wow.) Lastest UI (Roth's Diablo inspired) Go ahead, add me!

  13. #10073
    Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    You come off very.. Self righteous.
    If UIs were a religion you'd be the head preacher whose opinion is always correct.

    OT: I believe regardless of textures it's not really anyones place to say they don't like their textures to the point of creating paragraphs as to why what they've chosen is wrong.
    That's rather rude, I'm sorry you feel that way. Plenty of people in Ui forums have strong opinions, not sure why I am the one being singled out for just trying to help others. And I don't feel like my opinion is always right (as you will see below when I respond to Rusk)
    And I assume your OT comment is directed at evn, as I don't create "paragraphs" in posts telling people they are wrong.
    As my own OT: I like your accent
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusk View Post
    The texture will remain, i love that one (fer 34) but thanks for noticing the spacing between the weakauras and the enemy castbar text, will get right on it
    And with the background im using on my unitframes the visual representation is not a problem, here's a pic ->
    I love fer's texture pack as well, we were good friends back in the day.
    Seeing this new picture with the hp background showing, I def agree that the texture you currently have looks great! I wasn't expecting the contrast to be so high, I like it
    This is why people should post combat screenshots, we could have avoided this whole texture mess all together hehe

    Can't wait to see the rest!

    <3
    Ish

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-14 at 10:51 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by carebear View Post
    But that's the way these threads work.
    Jesus, so much QFT in care's entire post!

    I don't know how many times I (and others *looks at Led*) have told care to lose the portraits, but he keeps them because he likes them and if it works for him then great, it doesn't make me like his Ui any less.

    ps. care, lose the portraits :P

    mucho <3
    Ish

  14. #10074
    Stood in the Fire Xenlol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    402
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusk View Post
    The texture will remain, i love that one (fer 34) but thanks for noticing the spacing between the weakauras and the enemy castbar text, will get right on it
    And with the background im using on my unitframes the visual representation is not a problem, here's a pic ->





    Thanks, should be done in 1-2 days, just raidframes and bossframes left, will post a pic when it's done.
    Im also thinking about uploading this UI on wowinterface for those who are interested.
    Yes! Do it!

  15. #10075

  16. #10076


    Tried to make a good pic yesterday during progress, best shot I got

    AddOns:

    ElvUI
    Big Wigs
    Vuhdoo
    HolyTrinity
    TellMeWhen
    Skada
    MicScrollingBattleText (MSBT)

    Oops could someone fix the size of the pic, didnt know it would bug like that.
    Last edited by Treeston; 2013-02-15 at 03:25 PM.

  17. #10077
    I really REALLY want to redo this layout

    http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/5...2910110118.jpg

    Any suggestion to make it actually usable?? I need to find the textures/fonta again (it's and old project of mine, with an edited oUF_Caellian). Need halp in finding teh resources


  18. #10078
    Last edited by Ishtara; 2013-02-15 at 06:28 PM.

  19. #10079
    I know the texture is from another oUF layout, and probably also the big font - need to do some deeper search; i was thinking to mix some things up with my ui (probably not fonts)


  20. #10080
    Epic!
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    I know the texture is from another oUF layout, and probably also the big font - need to do some deeper search; i was thinking to mix some things up with my ui (probably not fonts)
    Go non-pixel like I did!
    Random stuff WoW UI Enthusiast BNet
    Youtube Some old UIs Hulari#21213(EU)
    Stream (updated, usually wow.) Lastest UI (Roth's Diablo inspired) Go ahead, add me!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •