New to Priests =]

Hi,

I thinking about leveling a Disc-priest; with herbalism+inscriptions as my profs (i have mining on my main) - just wondering if u had any tips/ideas about profs + spec - while leveling ... are there any priest addons ?

Re: New to Priests =]

For levelling, go shadow. Discipline isn't hopeless, but if you want to get to lvl 80 before the summer holiday, do it as shadow.

Get improved spirit tap, then aim for meditation, then go further down the shadow tree. Get a good wand. Upgrade the wand often. And find a mage friend that can send you water. Also find a levelling mate. As a priest you can heal instances up to outland just nicely regardless of specc.

---

As far as professions go, they're all pretty mediocre right now, so pick the one you like

Herbalism gives you a free heal. It's not great, but it works like a slightly weaker version of Desperate Prayer. Tauren herbalists get the most out of this one. As a healing priest, the extra heal is mostly superfluous to be honest. But herbalists make good money!

Inscription gives scroll of recall, early shoulder enchants and that's about it. It's not really a moneymaker unless you work very hard for it. It's also fairly expensive to level.

Tailoring is a choice many priests are regretting these days. You get a flying carpet mount and a decent back enchant, but it's an extremely expensive profession to level. All the crafted cloth is hopelessly useless, except for the two rare recipes which basically require you to clear all northrend quests and all heroics to get.

Enchanting is a profession many priests pick - and it's not too shabby. A very decent moneymaker if you farm a lot - but also very expensive to level. Also get two decent ring enchants. Levelling priests will also like enchanting for the wands you can create, but these are just as easily bought on the AH.

Alchemy is a very good profession if you are raiding. You get the very nice alchemy stones, double duration flasks and can create your own raid consumables.

Engineering is useful in PVP (nitro boots), but mostly it's a toy profession. If you like doing honky stuff, engineering isn't a bad pick. But it's not a moneymaker.

Mining is a good source of income. The extra stamina will complement you nicely.

Jewelcrafting is a good moneymaker too. You also get some very nice trinkets, and access to some insane gems. But very expensive to level.

Skinning gives you some extra crit. Not a very good source of income.

Leatherworking and Blacksmithing is not really your first pick as you can't wear the produce. Then again, tailoring is equally useless in that aspect. Leatherworkers get some enchants. Blacksmiths get the extra gemsocket. It's not bad, but it's not really jawdropping.

If you aim to max out, enchanting and jewelcrafting is probably the strongest choice right now, but not by a large margin. It's also insanely expensive to level.

---

Addons:

Powerauras
    Some better healing bars. The Blizzard ones are horrible. Pitbull is my recommendation.
    Some raidframes if you ever need to heal more than 5 people, f.ex Grid or Pitbull.
    If you want to raid, some raid addon. Bigwigs or Deadly Boss Mods.
    Omen if you want to see who fails on threat. It won't be you.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

and stack spirit while leveling so you reducing your downtime

with meditation and half decent gear you should be able to heal any instance aslong as the tank isn't a spaz

Quote Originally Posted by Danner
    For levelling, go shadow. Discipline isn't hopeless, but if you want to get to lvl 80 before the summer holiday, do it as shadow.

Get improved spirit tap, then aim for meditation, then go further down the shadow tree. Get a good wand. Upgrade the wand often. And find a mage friend that can send you water. Also find a levelling mate. As a priest you can heal instances up to outland just nicely regardless of specc.

---

As far as professions go, they're all pretty mediocre right now, so pick the one you like

Herbalism gives you a free heal. It's not great, but it works like a slightly weaker version of Desperate Prayer. Tauren herbalists get the most out of this one. As a healing priest, the extra heal is mostly superfluous to be honest. But herbalists make good money!

Inscription gives scroll of recall, early shoulder enchants and that's about it. It's not really a moneymaker unless you work very hard for it. It's also fairly expensive to level.

Tailoring is a choice many priests are regretting these days. You get a flying carpet mount and a decent back enchant, but it's an extremely expensive profession to level. All the crafted cloth is hopelessly useless, except for the two rare recipes which basically require you to clear all northrend quests and all heroics to get.

Enchanting is a profession many priests pick - and it's not too shabby. A very decent moneymaker if you farm a lot - but also very expensive to level. Also get two decent ring enchants. Levelling priests will also like enchanting for the wands you can create, but these are just as easily bought on the AH.

Alchemy is a very good profession if you are raiding. You get the very nice alchemy stones, double duration flasks and can create your own raid consumables.

Engineering is useful in PVP (nitro boots), but mostly it's a toy profession. If you like doing honky stuff, engineering isn't a bad pick. But it's not a moneymaker.

Mining is a good source of income. The extra stamina will complement you nicely.

Jewelcrafting is a good moneymaker too. You also get some very nice trinkets, and access to some insane gems. But very expensive to level.

Skinning gives you some extra crit. Not a very good source of income.

Leatherworking and Blacksmithing is not really your first pick as you can't wear the produce. Then again, tailoring is equally useless in that aspect. Leatherworkers get some enchants. Blacksmiths get the extra gemsocket. It's not bad, but it's not really jawdropping.

If you aim to max out, enchanting and jewelcrafting is probably the strongest choice right now, but not by a large margin. It's also insanely expensive to level.

---

Addons:

Powerauras
    Some better healing bars. The Blizzard ones are horrible. Pitbull is my recommendation.
    Some raidframes if you ever need to heal more than 5 people, f.ex Grid or Pitbull.
    thx for the advice /saved

i forgot to mention - i'll be leveling with my friend (warrior)

is it rly possible to heal lvling instances as shadow - i heard differently on that one..

Yes you can heal instances as shadow. It will get difficult at high level but only if the tank is poorly geared and dps-specced and/or the dps is poor. You can still pull it off, but I admit that I struggled some when I levelled 70-80 during the worst DK-boom and kept getting into instances with 3-4 DKs, none of whom of course had any tank-gear to speak of...

Agreed with the above about healing instances, at least until mid 60s you don't need to be a healing spec to heal instances, but it helps make life easier. You could also just dps the instances if you are so inclined

Other than that, I'd like to hijack this threat for a quick question:
    Improved Shadowform, does that offer a passive 70% spell pushback mitigation, or is the spell pushback only given to me when i fade? The tooltip on the talent is a bit hazy, but searching these forums seems to imply its a passive 70% less pushback. I just wanted confirmation if anyone knows for a fact. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Danner

---

Addons:

Powerauras
    I agree with pretty much everything mentioned. 80 Priest... Went from Mining/Engineering > Min/Ench > Ench/Tailoring > Ench/JC... very happy with it. Since you have a miner, I'd pick up a "1-450 JC Guide" And save up mats if you decide that route. I only spent a few hundred G to level JC after getting my own mats via my miner.

PowerAuras, Deadly Boss Mods (Over BigWigs IMO), Omen = Great Addons...

I'd also like to add ClassTimers, Event Alert, Bartender4, BEQL (upgraded quest log), QBar (Automatically built bar with quest related items... dam mess of a bag and quest items), TipTacTalent (Save talent specs, auto-apply specs, etc), XPerl (Self/Target/Group/Raid bars), ZOMGBuffs (Customizable auto buffing)
    [color=blue]This thread has lived beyond its life expectancy. ... It's also met the forum quota for posters insulting the intelligence of their peers to grasp the age-old upper hand in argumentation, I believe officially coined by Plato: "Ur, like, dumb and that's why I'm right." Zarhym

Quote Originally Posted by Saurus
    thx for the advice /saved

i forgot to mention - i'll be leveling with my friend (warrior)

is it rly possible to heal lvling instances as shadow - i heard differently on that one..
    I've healed every instance and heroic instance from rfc to northrend as shadow. As long as your tank isn't worthless or your group is horribly under-leveled you should be fine. Actually I found that healing as shadow turned me into a better healer when I finally hit 70 or 80 and went back to a true healing spec since I was forced to use all my spells correctly and really work on managing my mana. If you can heal well as shadow, you'll probably top meters when you are holy/disc.

I've also healed alot of Northrend heroics as shadow, it's perfectly doable.

I'll make this short and simple:

If you plan to heal, good for you. If you plan to DPS as Shadow, reroll a pure DPS class like Mage now. :-*

1. Mage & spriest dps is very similar for people with equal gear and skill... in current content where fights are quick and dominated by a high BL/heroism up time, sure the mage looks better. But in true content where fights take that bit longer the dps output is very similar.

2. Spriests bring one of the best forms of replenishment to the raid and they bring the best form of 3% hit

3. Spriests are very hardy in raids, they hardly die due to the fact they heal for 25% of their dps + DP heals + dispersion + innate 15% damage reduction to both physical and magic (comming in the new patch).

As far as I can see its pretty hard to argue a mage is eons better than a similar geared and skilled spriest and at least as a priest you have the luxury to spec into a healing role if required.

get Questhelper, a great addon that makes leveling so much easier. Even at 80 it helps me all the time.

I think Inscription is a great profession, it's not very hard to level and you can save yourself from the sons of hodir reputation grind. you can even make some money with darkmoon cards if your're lucky or spam the trading chat with your spellbook.

I just got to 40 and have been leveling holy and have liked it more than leveling as shadow up until now. I just respec'd shadow again now that I can go shadow to see if its starting to pull ahead of holy for leveling speed and if it is, it is just barely. I played around with disc too and liked it least for leveling...although i wasn't bad for when I did some bgs for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    I've also healed alot of Northrend heroics as shadow, it's perfectly doable.
    its a lie!

Spec into a holy-smite build if you're leveling a priest. Grab Spirit Tap too. Shadow relies too much on DoTs to work in a duo so you end up with terrible mana efficiency and your mob dies too fast to make use of the time required to deal damage with DoTs. Your best bet is just to crank direct damage with Smite and Holy Fire.

Trust me on this one, I've leveled two priests now.

Quote Originally Posted by zizfizziks
    Spec into a holy-smite build if you're leveling a priest. Grab Spirit Tap too. Shadow relies too much on DoTs to work in a duo so you end up with terrible mana efficiency and your mob dies too fast to make use of the time required to deal damage with DoTs. Your best bet is just to crank direct damage with Smite and Holy Fire.

Trust me on this one, I've leveled two priests now.
    +1 for sure.
    Ive leveled 2 priests as well, My main to 80 and I have a lvl 64 Priest on a diff server.
    Shadow is the best DPS spec for Instances, Raiding, and leveling above 66-68ish - but below 66ish and DEFINANTLY if you plan on playing with your Warrior friend all the time, Shadow can be a lot of wasted mana applying DoTs instead of Nukeing.
    A HolyFire/MindBlast/Smite toon is your best bet during those lower levels.

I would try going (In this order)

Holy Spec 5/5 (Holy)
    Spirit Tap 3/3 (Shadow)
    Imp Spirit Tap 2/2 (Shadow)
    Divine Fury 5/5 (Holy)
    Desp Prayer 1/1 (Holy)
    Shadow Focus 3/3 (Shadow)
    Imp SW:P 2/2 (Shadow) *Still a useful spell, dont count ur DoTs completely out*
    Imp Mind Blast 5/5 (Shadow)
    Twin Disc 5/5 (Disc)
    Imp Inner Fire 3/3 (Disc)
    Imp PW:Fort 2/2 (Disc)
    Meditation 3/3 (Disc)
    Inner Focus 1/1 (Disc)
    Imp PW:Shield 1/3 (Disc)

Thatll get you to level 50, and kinda grabs all th useful tidbits you can use while leveling.
    Stay away from going Pure anything right now though...theres no reason to become specialized when you kinda have to do everything for urself. Holy Fire and Smite and Mind Blast will prove to be your favorites, but theres a TON of useful spells for every scenario. When you get to 80 you can worry about being Holy or Disc or Shadow, right now you should be Hybriding.

Oh, and Jewelcrafting has got to be the best profession for us at 80 - the Gems are unreal, and "free" for a little work once a day.
    You get a daily quest you can do that will give you a token you can make monster gems for you gear or sell in AH for close to 200g on most servers. Im an Inscriptionist as well, mostly for the Shoulder enchants (million times better than other enchants for shoulders) but -as mentioned- Inscr wont make you must money. You do get Hearthstones for dirt cheap that only have 20min cooldowns, and dont share a timer with your real hearth. Its pretty useful.

Good Luck to ya.

Deleted

Red/yellows = spellpower/haste
    Blues = spirit

I'm more of a output guy so i try to maximize it because let's face it, if you know how to abuse seren~ you wont go oom like a noob.

Quote Originally Posted by enqi
    Red/yellows = spellpower/haste
    Blues = spirit

I'm more of a output guy so i try to maximize it because let's face it, if you know how to abuse seren~ you wont go oom like a noob.
    Imho is a terrible advice: you should enchant yellows with crit, not haste. Crit will make you spend less mana, haste is only useful to sneak heals, unless you have a good mana reg, but this is not really the case for a fresh 80