Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: any new information on unbreakable armor?

Quote Originally Posted by taek
    Maybe i don't understand UBA mechanics, but i'm not getting anywhere close to those damage reduction #s.

Assuming (just for sake of example) a DK with 29k armor, damage reduction is 63.5% vs L83 mob.

29000 / (29000 + 16635) = .63547

With glyphed UBA on, i assume armor is (29000 * 1.4) = 40600

So the post UBA damage reduction is 70.9%.

40600 / (40600 + 16635) = .70935

Or an increase of + 7.4%. And in reality, you don't get that much because you'll hit the armor cap because of Inspiration from a priest. And as mentioned, it's 100% useless vs magic.

UBA is fairly weak compared to bone shield or vampiric blood. I still use it every CD, but i wish it would be on par with its sister talents in the other trees. Hopefully the 3.1 version will get it in the ballpark.
    At 63.5% mitigation the enemy is doing 36.5% of his maximum damage, at 70.9% mitigation the enemy is now doing 29.1% of his maximum damage. 29.1/36.5= .7972. This means he's doing 79.72% of the damage he was doing before you popped UBA, aka a 21.3% reduction in damage.

clicky for armory

yes but that also ignores any magical effects said enemy might do, a weakness bone shield does not share, and VB bypasses. BA simply effects magical damage and VB effects health and healing
    all hail king frost strike

umm i'm well aware UBA is only physical damage currently, dunno why that's a point you need to clarify.

clicky for armory

Quote Originally Posted by Gamehenge
    At 63.5% mitigation the enemy is doing 36.5% of his maximum damage, at 70.9% mitigation the enemy is now doing 29.1% of his maximum damage. 29.1/36.5= .7972. This means he's doing 79.72% of the damage he was doing before you popped UBA, aka a 21.3% reduction in damage.
    This. Against physical damage, while under armor cap, UBA will mitigate slightly more than BS.

Quote Originally Posted by superflystud
    This. Against physical damage, while under armor cap, UBA will mitigate slightly more than BS.
    But, as has been pointed out by you, it only works on physical damage.

While this is the most damage you will encounter.. There are still a lot of sources that pierce through UBA.

well, maybe i misread your post, and if so, you have my humblest apologies, but when i read it i was seeing a very real under current of, well see with this equation, UBA isnt at all behind BS, it stands strong at 20% (ish) mitigation so it doesnt need to be changed, its equal. but even if you ignore the, in my humble opinion, very valid point of proc armor increases such as inspiration or the shaman equivalent, which name escapes me, the fact remains that UBA has a glaring weakness in magical mitigation.

again, if that was not the thrust of your argument, i apologize

I see where you're getting the 20% figure, expressing UBA's final effect as damage reduction, i was expressing it simply as additional armor mitigation.

Quote Originally Posted by taek
    I see where you're getting the 20% figure, expressing UBA's final effect as damage reduction, i was expressing it simply as additional armor mitigation.
    I know but i was just pointing that out because if you want to compare UBA to BS it's unfair to say that BS mitigates 20% of damage while UBA only adds 7% or so mitigation. The 20% from BS is a mitigation on incoming damage as well, just like how UBA is at about 20% mitigation on incoming physical damage.

@psi haha relax a bit i wasn't mortally offended, i won't smite you . I wasn't trying to say the total mitigation is equal to BS as like you said magical damage comes into affect. My points were more along the lines of: currently UBA can mitigate an infinite amount of damage in that 20 second time frame, depending on how many times you get hit. If they cap the amount of damage it can mitigate while keeping the timer on it, even if it mitigates magic damage as well, it will be a huge huge nerf to it since it would make it a shittier BS clone that penalizes you for having avoidance while BS rewards you for having good avoidance. Putting a timer on a "mitigate X amount" ability means that if you have good avoidance you'll never get to use that ability to it's full potential, as more often than not UBA will end before you've hit the mitigation limit. BS on the other hand without it's timer rewards having avoidance since it extends the length of time it's up for. The 20% mitigation thing was more in response to the "UBA only adds 7% mitigation while BS gives 20%" which is a misguided argument to make and paints UBA in a worse light than it really is.

clicky for armory

I can't seem to find the blue post now, but in the 3.1 class change preview, it was also said that the Frost tree would be "shuffled". So, who knows, this might not even be in the same position as before. Possibly, there might even be a new frost tanking ability- I don't think so though.

@psi haha relax a bit i wasn't mortally offended, i won't smite you .
    heh, i find being overly and obviously polite is a good way to stop threads i am interested in from devolving into pointless flamewars.

and on an unrelated note, any idea when the PTR is coming in so we can get some some more solid numbers?

bumping this thread now that 3.1 is out