Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast

Re: Are Protection Paladins viable as MT?

I've MT'd almost all of the progression so far. Our guildmaster is a prot warrior but once I showed up and tripled his dps, tps and out stated him by 3k hp and mitigation, he started offtanking. If your looking to MT, a prot paladin is a great pick. Make sure your guild realizes that a prot paladin can do what a prot warrior can, but better.

As many others have said, any Tanking Class can tank all the content currently available. There are times where you prefer some classes above others, but everyone is capable, as long as the Skills are present.

i love paladin as mt
    atleast while im ot (blood-dk)
    BoS is the best buff ever
    i can spam every ability (rs dc) with every gcd avaible just wont run out of rp.. without the buff i do :/
    and yea their threat etc is good as well

ps: the player is what matters not the class.. everyone can be mt

Sarth 3 drake is the only fight that I prefer not to MT as a paladin.

Chron, I have no idea if it's somthing to do with you being horde, but tankadins pre-3.0 were great MTs where the fight wasn't based around a gimmick that stopped us. I MTed our progression RoS P3 because that is a TPS race for the tank, and my threat blew the warriors out of the water. I MTed Illi until we got to 25%, partly due to better threat, partly due to a rotation that meant no shears whatsoever when mastered, without having to wait until he sheared to hit HS. I know that a good chunk of my threat came from SoV though, although I know many pallies who avoided it I simply grabbed some expertise and it was staying on reliably, and higher TPS (especially when combined with a ruby serent/AW on the pull).

Sarkan - Archi was signifigantly easier with a warr MT, ditto Az, Mother, Council and practically required for RoS P2. KT was easier with a warr, but by no means needed, and good old Al'ar was easier too for warrs as they had more taunts.

I prefer playing my paladin as an off tank instead of a main tank. There is a lot of utility gain to doing so, but any tank can main tank at this point. Paladins have become the ruler of threat. I would personally say that the tanking hierarchy still goes warrior > paladin > death knight > druid though.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Srslikekara
    i run with a prot warrior and a pally, im a dk tank,

now i do not agree with dk's being the most squishy tank. i think you need to l2do your mitigation rotations or get better trinkets either way.. its normally me or the pally who MTs most encounters (except patch becuase the warriors hp is only 35k buffed) vs my 42k and the pallys 40.5k

i have tanked most encounters in the game, (minus 2+ drakes in 10man) with the pally and atm i think we should wait till ulduar to see who really shines
    I'm scared as to how that paladin got to 40.5k raid buffed. The only way you can do that in my experience is to screw the hell out of your mitigation and just gear for pure stamina. I personally could never do that. Warriors should have more hp than paladins unless the paladin simply didn't gear well and stacked the hell out of stamina to become nothing more than a heal sponge.
    "The round, metal cooking utensil referring to the larger, cookware customarily used for, but not limited to, stews, as being of a dark shade or possibly of African descent." ~~ Fixed for now. But keep in mind any one of the words used in that fix may become politically incorrect or offensive at any moment for any reason. Further amendments may be required to prevent frivolous lawsuits in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeper386
    What really needs to be asked is, are you just planning to take some other guy's spot, or are you actually being offered an MT spot for going Protection? You don't get to be the MT just for speccing prot, every MT I've known has put in a lot of time and effort to earn that position.
    Any night our warrior isn't raiding I'm main tank on my paladin, and as a naturally lazy person, I am more than happy to take a back seat on any fight that doesn't require me to do more work as an off tank than as the main tank. Grobulus, for example puts much more strain on the off tank that has to be on top of the adds than the main tank that has to walk backwards in a large circle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkan-ZdC
    No guild in the world will pick you as there maintank instead of there warrior that is tanking for them since 2006 because you can threat 10% better or faster or anything..
    Just because the main tank has main tanked every fight since 2006 doesn't mean he wants to main tank every fight. Most tanks want what is best for the encounter. I personally am the main off tank; however, there are fights where the warrior just realizes I can main tank it better than he can. Most of those are issues with threat wipes and movement. I tank the first boss in plague wing, grobulus, and patchwerk almost exclusively. I refuse to main tank the second boss in plague wing and I normally cheese it out with being a back up healer. I prefer not tanking KT or Saph.

15+ Year Old Account

My guild has two prot pallys, a warrior, and a feral (they respec between cat dps and bear frequently) that regularly MT our 25 mans.

And those + a dk who have MT'd our 10 mans.

I personally prefer to heal a pally tank, because of the aforementioned non-spikey damage.
    Mistweaver Monk | Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Daez
    I'm scared as to how that paladin got to 40.5k raid buffed. The only way you can do that in my experience is to screw the hell out of your mitigation and just gear for pure stamina. I personally could never do that. Warriors should have more hp than paladins unless the paladin simply didn't gear well and stacked the hell out of stamina to become nothing more than a heal sponge.
    skilled stamina buff (priest) +214.5 Stamina
    skilled mdw (druid) +51.8 Stamina
    bufffood +40 Stamina
    skilled sdk (paladin) (only for buffs)+10% Stats -> 30.63 Stamina
    sacred duty 2/2+combat expertise 3/3 +10% Stamina -> 30.63 Stamina
    sum ----> 367,56=3675.6HP
    skilled warrior shout (warrior ofc) +2818,75 HP
    flask +650 HP (i think)
    sum ---->7144,35HP

now lets assume you have 30954HP unbuffed means 2420 Stamina (example here)
    --> skilled sdk +10% --> +2420 HP

30954 + 7144,35 + 2420
    Raidbuffed: 40518,35HP

my example Pala still has
    # Dodge: 24.49%
    # Parry: 20.29%
    # Block: 14.4%

just my 2 cents

Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    We didn't have SoV (SoCor) so we were stuck with SoR, which as you know, was an absolute failure for a seal. Offtanking or addtanking wasn't a problem as a paladin, maintanking was. Had we got access to such a potent DoT and Judgement effect, i dare say TPS wouldn't have been such an issue for us. For horde tankadins, T5 was fine. Then in T6, TPS seemed to plummet. I'm guessing this was down to higher avoidance, thus leading to less threat generated by SA (although on Bloodboil, stacking the DoT up to 20+ [i personally hit 31 stacks before the damage overwhelmed me] and then the mana-regain threat from SA was keeping me at 3K+ TPS). I am still curious if BoSanc generates any threat at all from the mana regain (i dare say it does, but i've never really tested or noticed it).

@ Daez: 40.5K HP is fairly attainable. There's times for mitigation gearing, and times for HP gearing. I personally run with HP gearing all the time. It might be because i like to PvP a lot as well, but it helps with Sarth trash adds, as well as Patchwerk. Once 3.1 hits, i'll be speccing back into Deflection as well so my Mitigation/avoidance will rise substantially, and based on the "some stuff's being reduced in ranks" theory, i expect we might see some more talents, possibly mitigation.

It all depends on playstyle really. I prefer the high-hp approach, while other's prefer avoidance gearing. Something else my gearing and talent choice (HotC for example, although that was more the help buff the raid's DPS, rather than buffing my own threat) brings to the table is high threat as well. I've made strength (more AP and BV), hit, and stam (thus translating to SP) a point in my choices, and this generally leads to higher TPS output. If i could find another slot for a 24stam gem, i'd be at 33K unbuffed, so 40.5K raid buffed isn't really that difficult. If you wanna talk about HP, talk about the 80K HP druid i saw in AV a few weeks ago =P he prolly had the av buff as well :> and no i wont start to present the calculations (which prolly arent fully correct anyway) for this one

Quote Originally Posted by frankster
    if you have to ask this question then no, you're not viable as MT
    ^^^^ This.

Yes, prot pally's do fine. Inexperienced people fail no matter the role.
    Expecting to walk into the MT job either means all the other tanks quit, or you're just so awesome you can buy an account on ebay and be fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abolishment
    Eclipsicolossamegatonational? There. I've captured the essence of your penis in one, perfect, 28-letter word.

I don't recall what I sit at raid buffed, I believe it's somewhere around 41k and my friend sits at about 43k buffed as a DK. (This is of course raid buffed/flasked etc.)

Unbuffed currently I sit at 27.6k health. With raid buffs, flask, and buff food It's around 35k health. I main tank for our guild when we need high threat, if not I off-tank because that's the role I prefer to play (more exciting in my opinion). I'm also just shy of Hit capped, currently soft-capped for Expertise, and I'm avoidance capped over 102.4% with Holy Shield. With my block value over 1300 without libram or trinket this basically acts as active health. But I'm an avoidance tank and prefer to the survivability without dropping my avoidance. Luckily I'm now to the point that I can start dropping avoidance gems for +24 stam gems.

the Main reason most raids choose an MT is usually the person with the most health (USUALLY). and that Person USUALLY ends up being Tauren Warriors >_>

I have 28k+ unbuffed HP on my pally. and still sometimes don't MT cus the warrior has more.

Quote Originally Posted by Holyana
    I've always been comfortable the most when there is a prot pally tanking, no matter what type of content it is.
    I've always felt the same.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Gevlad
    ^^^^ This.

Yes, prot pally's do fine. Inexperienced people fail no matter the role.
    Expecting to walk into the MT job either means all the other tanks quit, or you're just so awesome you can buy an account on ebay and be fantastic.
    wow, very constructive!

/trollalert

Our MT is our RL and GM, feral drood. Since tbc, i dont know why, but i just prefer drood tanks for single target than anyone else. As a paladin large amounts of damage to even larger hp pool fits me best, as a holy paladin healer.

If i would be drood healer, i would propablz pick a warror holy pallz due to big migitation. Hots can cover this as nice as can pala big heals cover drood hp pool.

hope you get that point.