Was he an idiot? or did i miss something

Doing VH hc (as ret pally) looking for a tank and finally get a /w from a pally tank
    all in and is going well although i notice the tanks life is going down quite fast but still

After the first boss i look at him to realise he has a healing mace in his main hand, he was stacking spell power quite a lot wearing SP items and socketing with def gems. I asked him about it and he said he needed SP to increase his agro

I tried to say to him that this was a BC thing and that the mechanics had changed. He just ignored me. We finished the instance ok and went our seperate ways

Now did i miss something or was he just stuck in the past?
    Oh noes! Plz don't perma ban me :-/ *flips the bird* OH NOES I WON'T BE ABLE TO POST!PLXDON'T!!one loldie

Re: Was he an idiot? or did i miss something

He's just stuck in the past.

Deleted

He's a nab

*sniff sniff* I smell an idiot!

Ah well, guess it's true what they say, can't teach an old nab new talents.

*cough*..stuck in the past..*cough*

some paladins still using a spellpower weapon for their main hands. but AP and SP gives same amount of bonus, even consecration. when you use a SP weapon in your main hand you lose main hand damage which effects your SoV, SoR and HoR. they nearly make equal threat but you lose some defensive points when you use SP weapon. but using another items with spell power for other slots as well? that's way stupid for current WoW.

You get a lot more Sp from a SP weap than you do AP from a standard weap, so when you're AoEing a lot of mobs the spelldam mace becomes more threat. In somewhere like VH though, you're not going to have more than 3 or 4 mobs up, and in almost all places spelldam weaps are inferior.

he probably read a tbc paladin gearing guide

First off, you let a tank tank with a healing mace.

good it wasn't just me then, he refused to believe or listen to what i had to say lol was only trying to help. told him in the end to check out his class lol
    Oh noes! Plz don't perma ban me :-/ *flips the bird* OH NOES I WON'T BE ABLE TO POST!PLXDON'T!!one loldie

We finished the instance ok
    Then i don't see the problem, sure he was ignorant but who cares, its pretty standard in pugs and just be glad that you did finish the instance ok, even though his stamina and avoidance was probably shit.

he probably had an epic SP mace and no epic tanking wep and refuses to use a blue
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

It's important to note that AP and SP scale our spells at the same rate. However, several factors make AP the obvious choice.

Str converts into AP at a rate of 1 to 2 before the 15% talent. With the talent, 1 str > 2 SP.
    HotR is based upon weapon dps and is our only physical strike. It's only effected by AP.
    ShoR is based of BV which increases via strength only.

Granted, threat really isn't an issue at all. I'm fairly certain it would be entirely possible to hold threat with a spell damage weapon. He can't escape the fact that all end game tank gear has str on it, even without the 15% talented increase, it's still more than enough threat generation. If he wasn't losing defensive stats by using that weapon or gemming/enchanting for spellpower, then I would say nothing's wrong.

Unfortunately, he is and someone should tell with consecrate scales with AP now.