Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst

Re: Is Hit Rating Cap a Myth..?!

Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie
    This is a paladin forum, but let's take my warlock as an example here now... The spell hit cap is 19%, I am at 12% (including the talent). During a full Naxx run I get around 10-20 missed spells according to Recount, so it's not much. But it usually is the ones that count the most.

The caster hit cap is 17% , and moonkin/spriest gives you 3% more and a dreanei gives you 1% so thats 16%. and thats why you have that amount of misses.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenark
    only thing important is not getting "over" the hitcap, like the thread autor did with his 8,someting% hit
    hitcap is at 8%.
    being under the hitcap doesn't necessarily mean that you will see the misses flying around on your screen.
    actually most times in a raid you most likely won't even see a miss since 50% of the time you figth against non-boss-level mobs.

and hitcap is definatly not a myth. just grab your jawbone and go hit a dummy for 2-3h. you will see somewhere around 0.5% misses on auto hits. equip your titansteel destroyer and do the same again. no misses...
    I believe that you got a deep point there.. but the sad fact is that I had to DE my Titansteel Destroy and DE'd some of my Dignity to get Berserking Enchant on my Jawbone..

I sold my soul :<

Made by myself while I'm bored..

When it comes to miss, it's very easy to not notice any when you're in the 1% range. &#160;Especially because against trash, the cap is more in the 5% range (not sure if/how this changed when the boss cap went from 9% to 8%).

So you'd never see a miss against anything but a 83 or a skull boss. &#160;On top of that, you're only going to see a miss every 80-100 swings, it might have happened just as you got mutigen injected and weren't paying attention to your damage, maybe it happened just as your cat knocked over your beer can, they're few and far between, but they do happen. &#160;The only way you can put forth proof that you "didn't miss any" is if you post a combat log: WWS, WMO, even a recount screenshot, and having it show no misses at all, even then it would probably still just be luck.

It is a myth that you cannot DPS until you are hit capped. &#160;No matter what your class is, you can get DPS from many different stats, there is always a theoretical amount of AP that could make up for lost hit, or even a bad stat like haste that could make up for hit. &#160;The thing is, the DPS you get from hit pre-cap in naxx gear would require much higher quality gear to give you the same boost from other stats. &#160;The result is hit is almost always the right answer until you're capped, however, anyone would trade all 8% of their hit if they could pick up 100,000 AP, so there exists some amount of AP that will overshadow hit, it just is unrealistically high to replace all your hit, however, sometimes you'll proportionally be able to replace 1-2 or 10-20 rating with a big upgrade. &#160;There's nothing magical about "8% hit" or "close to 8% hit" or "at least 5% hit" &#160;It's just that point for point on equal level gear, hit will usually win.

Think of it like this. &#160;I'll give you $10 for every % to hit you have, $10 for every % to crit you have and $1 for every 8 AP you have. &#160;However, if you go over the hit cap you don't get any more for hit.

Now, you could get 32 crit rating, for 0.7% crit, and get $7, or you could get 32 hit rating for 1% hit and get $10 dollars, or you could get 32 AP for $4. &#160;Obviously you'd take the hit every time, it's the most dollars. &#160;so you get 263 hit rating, 8% hit, and get $80. &#160;Then proceed to fill out the rest of your gear with crit to get the $7 per slot. &#160;Lets say you get 3 of these so you're at $101

Now, what if someone is selling an item with 88 AP but no hit, you're going to have to drop to 7% hit, it's going to cost you $10 to pick up that item. &#160;So now you're at $91, you equip the item and get $11 for the AP and you have $102, you're doing more DPS below the hit cap. &#160;But now the fun part starts, what if you go back and trade out one of those crit pieces for a hit one, you lose $7 for dropping the crit, pick up 32 hit for $10 and now you're at $105.

It gets more complicated than that in reality (er..non-reality), but that's the concept, nothing magic about the cap, it's usually in your best interest to be there, but don't be afraid to step below it for a huge upgrade, just consider trying to get back there from other pieces.
    Main: Enhance Shaman
    Current alt status:
    80 Unholy DK - 80 Feral Druid - 80 Disc Priest
    80 Ret Paladin - 80 Arcane Mage - 80 Prot Warrior
    77 Warlock - 80 Marks Hunter - 75 Rogue

I participated in the legendary Bacon thread.

The chances of you noticing the 2-3 attacks that miss by watching for them is a lot less than if they simply didn't happen. Check your recount, out of the 2000 or so attacks you did in the few bosss fights, I'm guessing you had 20-30 misses.

Don't discount hit rating cap tho, every miss you have is losing a ton of dps.
    When you shoop da whoop, you feel powerful and don't want to lose it, and then a guy in plate armor comes and turns your woop against the shoop, hence, making you got laz0red.

Guild No Quarter - www.nqguild.org

Very simple response. Are you or a group member a spacegoat? Also, do you have a shadow priest in your raid?

If the answer to the above is yes, you're actually still hit capped and you've been wasting ipoints this whole time on hit you don't need anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by mortehl
    Also, do you have a shadow priest in your raid?
    Spriests only increase your chance to hit with spells.

For every class, every spec, hit is always point per point the best DPS stat (by a good margin most of the time). That's why if you want to increase your DPS, hit is the best thing you can have. Of course after hit cap, you start stacking your second best DPS stat (SP most of the times for casters for example). There is no point in stacking the 3rd or 4th best DPS stat if there is no cap on your second best stat.

On the other hand, strengh is so amazingly good for ret paladins that point for point, strengh is worth more DPS than hit even BEFORE hit cap. So the idea would be to stack strengh no matter what. But if you're unlucky with a few missed judgements, you can go oom fast, and won't do any DPS. So in the end, even if hit is not the best DPS stat for us, we need it for mana management. So gem/enchant for hit cap and then for strengh.

And never gem for something else than hit or strengh. Crit is just bad compared to strengh.

15+ Year Old Account

I don't get any misses with my hit, but what should i do against glancing blows? sry, i'm clueless.

There is nothing to do with glancing blows besides upping your weapon skill (which should be already maxed out, right? :-))

15+ Year Old Account

ofcourse

okay testet, after 224 hits i finally got a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Luthius
    Hit rating was 276 now with the new mace http://armory.wow-europe.com/charact...mmer&n=Luthius it's 222. Dropped from 8.30% ish to 6.77% more than 1% drop, still no misses.
    8% is the hit cap, so you have a 1.23% chance to miss. If you have any hit food buffs, or other classes that buff you with hit, then you'll easily go above hit cap without being at it. You're horde, so you wouldn't have a draenei with you, but they'd give you only a .23% chance to miss, which is somewhat small, and if you have a moonkin or whatever with you then you'll wind up never missing, as they'll bump you well above hit cap.

So I guess all agreed that Hit Cap isn't a Myth.. which makes sense to me more than ever. I still remember when I was hit capped and a pvp geared ret paladin who is surely not hit capped since all of his gear is gemmed with crit+str.. yet he managed to compete with a hitcapped person like me it really shaked my faith in hit rating. But still, things can work out if I regemmed some of my equipped gems atm.

So yes, I believe it's Luck.

Thanks for your participations guys, feels so refreshing to have a Troll-Free thread

Made by myself while I'm bored..

In before RNG.

on an additional point:
    the test set of a 5min figth against a boss level mob is not representativ at all.

when i tested the hit-assumption myself on a dummy, there were all kinds of up-and-down trends during the first half hour of testing (from 0.2% to 0.8% when it should have been 0.4% by the math).
    just think of yourself as lucky if you don't miss, and keep in mind to never gem for hit (unless you need by some strange happenstance a yellow socket or yellow socket bonus) it is never worth it because the str-gem you could have put in is always the better option

on my pally i went from like 9.2% hit with pre-naxx gear down to 5.7% hit with realy a lot of haste and crit gear back again to 7.3% atm, always just exchanging gear parts for others with better stats, never hit alone, and always increasing my overall dps
    Greetings Undead. Wonderful day to be alive, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Deralte
    ofcourse

okay testet, after 224 hits i finally got a miss.
    as myth busters would say myth confirmed, but with bigger sample sizes you get close to your actual miss chance.
    i did as hunter a test to see if 8% was the cap, with no hit (naked) i scored about 8% miss, on a sample of 3000 auto shots and with the same sample with hit cap i scored 0 misses.

as paladin little overcap is no problem so far i know as you gain then on you spell miss chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuhnel
    Lets leave this to... Mythbusters!
    And at the end they can blow up the paladin?
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.