Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to have a madman like that in my instance/raid group And it looks like he saw Full Metal Jacket too much :P

When I applied to my current guild, I just talked about how awesome Starship Troopers is. Accepted.

Of course I was in their GDKP run and was easily and by far top dps.
    Nom Nom Nom [NNF] (2 points) - When you Ferocious Bite a target at or below 25% health, you have a 50/100% chance to instantly refresh the duration of your Rip on the target.

There was once this guy:

-Why do you want to join? well i like to be funny and people will like me and i think thats improtant in tha game.

-Are you good at your role, and why do you think so? i am good and u will like me. i once got into voa 10 once but we wiped lol.

-What hours are you available? i am when my mom doesnt biiitch at me to not play then i can play haha XD
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortis Darkskull View Post
    1st south park garots... now happy garots... next one must be overdramatic seinen manga garots...
    Best of 5 years!

How is this whole thread not a troll fest ? So some ignorant people applied to your guild why make it public ?

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    How is this whole thread not a troll fest ? So some ignorant people applied to your guild why make it public ?
    Because this is a discussion on his, and your worst guild applicants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mortis Darkskull View Post
    1st south park garots... now happy garots... next one must be overdramatic seinen manga garots...
    Best of 5 years!

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a guild named "Rejected from Risen" or soemthing like that, in Karazhan_EU. Imagine why they named it like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proxydruid View Post
    this is a video game, and a guild application no less, to a guild in a video game. If I asked to join a guild and was told to apply online that does what exactly? Unless your paragon or something I can tell you relevent info in-game, or what does a load of text on your bought forum-blog determine skill ingame? Answer: No, WoW isn't a job.
    Raiding is about as close to a job as it can get, to be honest. You need reliable and well-educated colleagues in order to run your 'business' efficiently.

You don't want people who don't know what they're doing, so you ask them about their experience. You ask them about their expectations. You don't want to invite them and then find out that their expectations do not fit with those of your leadership.

People need to fit in. And the best way to get a general idea of what someone is like is a simple application. It is an important means of making a first impression. Of course, a little talk on Vent or TS will help too. I myself had either or both already.

Way back when I didn't even understand the concept of raiding yet, I was asked to leave a note in an application forum of a raid whose raid leader I had met while doing a couple of heroics in early BC. He had liked the playstyle that I had with my warlock and thought I looked promising. That written application only consisted of a few sentences, just to confirm that I was interested in raiding with that guy. And it was accepted within the blink of an eye. I raided there until I found that, while I was an excellent warlock, I would much rather reroll to a healing class. At that time, this raid didn't need any more healers though, so I took my leave. I still have a couple of the in-game good-bye letters saved. I loved those guys, but chaining yourself to a raid when you're only getting more and more unhappy every day because you cannot play what you want isn't the way.

So, when I had left that raid, rerolling to my shamy, I wrote an application to a semi-professional raid that required me to split it up into 3 PMs because I exceeded the allowed amount of characters in a message. It was about 10k characters. I had my MS Word count them. And it wasn't hard to write that much. I figured that I should just be open, honest and communicative with those people to make it easy for them to decide if they want to have me and whether or not they believe that I'll fit it. This raid was progressing on Felmyst at the time that I sent my app to them. My experience in raiding on my warlock had ended with downing Vashj and progress-wiping on Kael, with the one or the other jump into Hyjal and early BT (attunements had just been removed). I had grabbed all the gear for my former alt that I could have possibly got. 485 badges worth of healing heroics. I'm not sure if Kara awarded badges yet at that time. If it did, it hadn't for long yet. But still, jumping straight into Sunwell with practically no hardcore raiding experience and good but slightly insufficient gear... Well, making a good impression is important. And I got a reply really fast. In fact, I sent my app around noon and when I got home from work that day, I immediately received an in-game whisper to come join them on their TS. And after a short talk - there wasn't really much to say anymore after all that I had written - I was to join their guild and raid with them on their next scheduled raid. And I raided with them from Felmyst up until Sindragosa heroic progress; and then the raid finally fell apart.

I don't think they'd have considered me if I hadn't shown such dedication and hadn't provided so much information in my application. Raiding isn't as much about facts as about how you wrap them up. If you lack experience in certain areas of the game, you need to make it clear that you are capable of learning. And it takes more than just writing "I can learn." You need to back it up. It's an effort to do so, yes. Maybe it's too much for a game. I don't know... I can only say that I found it a worthwhile effort. Because that's what counts in raiding. Effort. If your efforts are enough to succeed in this guild, good for you. If they aren't, you'll know where you stand and can apply to a guild that fits you better.

So, after that long-existing raid finally died, many of my friends and I found ourselves horribly homeless. We had been there for such a long time, it was hard to believe that our 'home' should not be there anymore.

So we went to look for new raid, a new home on a different server as ours didn't have any alternatives to offer that we could consider for various reasons. And we found my current raiding guild.

In my current guild, I only had a talk on TS. No need for a written application. Usually, they do take written applications though. It was an exception because we were a group of people applying to them, and I figure that it was just easier and faster that way. They needed more personnell for LK progress after all, and fast. We were squeezed out like lemons though during our individual meetings with the raid lead.

So it's not a question of 'OLOL, this isn't like RL. I don't need to apply in a written form; talking should be enough." It's more of a question of the circumstances.

The care that someone takes when writing their application says a lot about the care they'll issue about raiding, imho. A written application is like a real-life armory link. Your character's armory reflects how you take care of your gear and spec, and shows whether or not you know your class well enough. Your decently written application reflects how important it is to make a good impression, what sort of a person you are, and in consequence, how much you want to raid with exactly those people.

I've seen the applications that we get... and normal members like me only see the ones that our raid leads finds remotely worth looking at. Some of those aren't even very good. I shudder to think about the ones that they decline on first sight already. I mean, how much time does it take to read over your app a second time, write complete sentences that make sense and to use a form of spellchecker? If someone is as careless when raiding as they are when going about applying, then that is surely not beneficial to your raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockmanzero View Post
    Ye yeah very funny and all but can someone not think about joking After he has been accepted in a guild and not with the application process wath would you do if you go to a job interview and first make a ''joke'' application, would you also not think he is a bit clueless in the head?
    First I don't get this guild=job and the application processes.
    Its is all in your head, I know that when a guild reaches certain status it needs to create an application strategy to keep things organized but it ends there.

My feeling is always that this is a game and I'm here to have fun. I like to raid with fun people, also if I saw his application I would accepted it, you can always explain to him that if he is too loony he is out...

People need to chill a little bit and stop this "professional" approach to an awesome video game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oradraffe View Post
    MoP is not happening i can promise that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tric619 View Post
    Been playing since week 1 and still believe Mop is the next expac? >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by Feyrzhuk View Post
    MoP will never be a WoW expansion. Feel free to flame and ridicule me should I be proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Seriss View Post
    Raiding is about as close to a job as it can get, to be honest. You need reliable and well-educated colleagues in order to run your 'business' efficiently.

You don't want people who don't know what they're doing, so you ask them about their experience. You ask them about their expectations. You don't want to invite them and then find out that their expectations do not fit with those of your leadership.

People need to fit in. And the best way to get a general idea of what someone is like is a simple application. It is an important means of making a first impression. Of course, a little talk on Vent or TS will help too. I myself had either or both already.

Way back when I didn't even understand the concept of raiding yet, I was asked to leave a note in an application forum of a raid whose raid leader I had met while doing a couple of heroics in early BC. He had liked the playstyle that I had with my warlock and thought I looked promising. That written application only consisted of a few sentences, just to confirm that I was interested in raiding with that guy. And it was accepted within the blink of an eye. I raided there until I found that, while I was an excellent warlock, I would much rather reroll to a healing class. At that time, this raid didn't need any more healers though, so I took my leave. I still have a couple of the in-game good-bye letters saved. I loved those guys, but chaining yourself to a raid when you're only getting more and more unhappy every day because you cannot play what you want isn't the way.

So, when I had left that raid, rerolling to my shamy, I wrote an application to a semi-professional raid that required me to split it up into 3 PMs because I exceeded the allowed amount of characters in a message. It was about 10k characters. I had my MS Word count them. And it wasn't hard to write that much. I figured that I should just be open, honest and communicative with those people to make it easy for them to decide if they want to have me and whether or not they believe that I'll fit it. This raid was progressing on Felmyst at the time that I sent my app to them. My experience in raiding on my warlock had ended with downing Vashj and progress-wiping on Kael, with the one or the other jump into Hyjal and early BT (attunements had just been removed). I had grabbed all the gear for my former alt that I could have possibly got. 485 badges worth of healing heroics. I'm not sure if Kara awarded badges yet at that time. If it did, it hadn't for long yet. But still, jumping straight into Sunwell with practically no hardcore raiding experience and good but slightly insufficient gear... Well, making a good impression is important. And I got a reply really fast. In fact, I sent my app around noon and when I got home from work that day, I immediately received an in-game whisper to come join them on their TS. And after a short talk - there wasn't really much to say anymore after all that I had written - I was to join their guild and raid with them on their next scheduled raid. And I raided with them from Felmyst up until Sindragosa heroic progress; and then the raid finally fell apart.

I don't think they'd have considered me if I hadn't shown such dedication and hadn't provided so much information in my application. Raiding isn't as much about facts as about how you wrap them up. If you lack experience in certain areas of the game, you need to make it clear that you are capable of learning. And it takes more than just writing "I can learn." You need to back it up. It's an effort to do so, yes. Maybe it's too much for a game. I don't know... I can only say that I found it a worthwhile effort. Because that's what counts in raiding. Effort. If your efforts are enough to succeed in this guild, good for you. If they aren't, you'll know where you stand and can apply to a guild that fits you better.

So, after that long-existing raid finally died, many of my friends and I found ourselves horribly homeless. We had been there for such a long time, it was hard to believe that our 'home' should not be there anymore.

So we went to look for new raid, a new home on a different server as ours didn't have any alternatives to offer that we could consider for various reasons. And we found my current raiding guild.

In my current guild, I only had a talk on TS. No need for a written application. Usually, they do take written applications though. It was an exception because we were a group of people applying to them, and I figure that it was just easier and faster that way. They needed more personnell for LK progress after all, and fast. We were squeezed out like lemons though during our individual meetings with the raid lead.

So it's not a question of 'OLOL, this isn't like RL. I don't need to apply in a written form; talking should be enough." It's more of a question of the circumstances.

The care that someone takes when writing their application says a lot about the care they'll issue about raiding, imho. A written application is like a real-life armory link. Your character's armory reflects how you take care of your gear and spec, and shows whether or not you know your class well enough. Your decently written application reflects how important it is to make a good impression, what sort of a person you are, and in consequence, how much you want to raid with exactly those people.

I've seen the applications that we get... and normal members like me only see the ones that our raid leads finds remotely worth looking at. Some of those aren't even very good. I shudder to think about the ones that they decline on first sight already. I mean, how much time does it take to read over your app a second time, write complete sentences that make sense and to use a form of spellchecker? If someone is as careless when raiding as they are when going about applying, then that is surely not beneficial to your raid.
    That is a fuckton of words, brah

10+ Year Old Account
    All of my old guild apps have been terminated from teh interwebz, but for a bit my guild did personal vent interviews. We always tried to rattle our applicants a bit by starting with "Are you attuned to Hyjal?" (this was during ToC in WotLK)
    and ending with
    "High Overlord Saurfang and Sean Connery do battle. Describe this event in 50 words or more"

"I want to join you because i am to lazy to write a application for a good guild."

Moment of genious
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by esmifra View Post
    Its is all in your head, I know that when a guild reaches certain status it needs to create an application strategy to keep things organized but it ends there.

My feeling is always that this is a game and I'm here to have fun. I like to raid with fun people, also if I saw his application I would accepted it, you can always explain to him that if he is too loony he is out...

People need to chill a little bit and stop this "professional" approach to an awesome video game.
    Do we really have to go through this again? It's not fun playing a multiplayer game where half the people are clueless morons. 50%> clueless morons in raid = no progress = no fun = not point of the game. FMJ is a great movie, but it's not suitable in an application. I know for sure that if some guy that applied for a job walked into my office and started quoting Monty Python I would say that yes, that is funny. Does it actually say how skilled and/or experienced he is at the job he's applying to? No, it doesn't. You don't hire a guy because he's funny (unless it's a social guild, which in case you shouldn't even have to apply at all), you do it because he has experience and know what he's doing. Same applies to the game, believe it or not.

This one is great and was actually accepted to

*Orientation
    Bi-curious

*Status
    Single and looking

* Character name class/level
    Full 80 Rogue

* Any previous guilds? and why are you choosing to leave now?
    <XXXX> - great guild, even better members, but I just don't feel as if the guild is moving in the right direction, and is able to take me to the heights I am longing to reach during my time here in WoW.

* Any previous raiding experience?
    If your mum counts.

* What are you strengths as a player?
    I'm well endowed.

* What are your weaknesses as a player?
    Perhaps a little too well endowed; it is hard to keep the ladies away. There is the possibility of me stopping mid-raid to fend off an oncoming horde of man-hungry women, but I should be able to keep them under control.

* What can you bring to XXXXX as a player and personality?
    I'm well endowed.

* What is your standard rotation in a fight? If you are a healer, please give examples of Main Tank healing rotation and Raid Healing Rotation
    Mash a few buttons, roll a few faces. Rogue dps is easy right?

* Do you stand in fire, and other bad shit?
    If by fire you mean Ranga's hole and by stand in you mean repeatedly thrust, then I think we may have a problem.

* MODS such as Omen Threat meter, BigWigs/Deadly Boss mods and the program Ventrillo are a requirement for <XXXXX> guild membership and would be expected to be installed upon joining, before raiding with us.
    Mods are beneath me.

* Our raid times are 8pm to 12am, mon/wed/thurs/sun. whilst 100% raid attendance is not mandatory, being able to make most of the raids is a must.
    I'm going to turn up whatever night you'll carry me through ToC25, and fuck off for the rest of the week.

Do you understand and agree to this term?
    Absolutely.

* Why do you want to join XXXXX?
    I'm a sucker for biscuit nipples and one-minute wonders.

* A little about yourself, or anything else that you would like to add
    I'm firm.

Quote Originally Posted by Typhus View Post
    This one is great and was actually accepted to

*Orientation
    Bi-curious

*Status
    Single and looking

* Character name class/level
    Full 80 Rogue

* Any previous guilds? and why are you choosing to leave now?
    <XXXX> - great guild, even better members, but I just don't feel as if the guild is moving in the right direction, and is able to take me to the heights I am longing to reach during my time here in WoW.

* Any previous raiding experience?
    If your mum counts.

* What are you strengths as a player?
    I'm well endowed.

* What are your weaknesses as a player?
    Perhaps a little too well endowed; it is hard to keep the ladies away. There is the possibility of me stopping mid-raid to fend off an oncoming horde of man-hungry women, but I should be able to keep them under control.

* What can you bring to XXXXX as a player and personality?
    I'm well endowed.

* What is your standard rotation in a fight? If you are a healer, please give examples of Main Tank healing rotation and Raid Healing Rotation
    Mash a few buttons, roll a few faces. Rogue dps is easy right?

* Do you stand in fire, and other bad shit?
    If by fire you mean Ranga's hole and by stand in you mean repeatedly thrust, then I think we may have a problem.

* MODS such as Omen Threat meter, BigWigs/Deadly Boss mods and the program Ventrillo are a requirement for <XXXXX> guild membership and would be expected to be installed upon joining, before raiding with us.
    Mods are beneath me.

* Our raid times are 8pm to 12am, mon/wed/thurs/sun. whilst 100% raid attendance is not mandatory, being able to make most of the raids is a must.
    I'm going to turn up whatever night you'll carry me through ToC25, and fuck off for the rest of the week.

Do you understand and agree to this term?
    Absolutely.

* Why do you want to join XXXXX?
    I'm a sucker for biscuit nipples and one-minute wonders.

* A little about yourself, or anything else that you would like to add
    I'm firm.
    i love him

Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    Do we really have to go through this again? It's not fun playing a multiplayer game where half the people are clueless morons. 50%> clueless morons in raid = no progress = no fun = not point of the game. FMJ is a great movie, but it's not suitable in an application. I know for sure that if some guy that applied for a job walked into my office and started quoting Monty Python I would say that yes, that is funny. Does it actually say how skilled and/or experienced he is at the job he's applying to? No, it doesn't. You don't hire a guy because he's funny (unless it's a social guild, which in case you shouldn't even have to apply at all), you do it because he has experience and know what he's doing. Same applies to the game, believe it or not.
    Clearly you have not read what I've wrote... Very professional of you. Those skills must be handy when reading guild applications...
    I said that because of organization needs I understand why guilds need to manage applications and have hierarchy, among other things.

But you seem to be divided among the reasons why you play WoW...
    You play for cash? Do you play for what? You are a professional player that get some reward out of this game other then enjoyment or hobby?
    When you talk to friends do you say I work WoW or I play WoW?

People seem to have the same attitude towards gear as they do with dollars (or euros) and that is what screws up the guild=company; WoW=job mentality...

You can have a better understanding of how good a player is from his/her wow armory profile than any interview you make with generic questions on a web forum anyway..
    Those interviews are more to understand the personality of a player in order to see if he will fit into the guild, plus you don't have any psychologist or a human resources professional in order to correctly analyse their answers so i don't really see what the fuzz is about.
    Unless of course you want to hire some for your guild, and some marketing staff, a sales department might come in handy too..
    Last edited by esmifra; 2010-12-30 at 12:59 PM. Reason: typos
    MoP will never be a WoW expansion. Feel free to flame and ridicule me should I be proven wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by esmifra View Post

This was more a What If from my part, do you really want the village lunatic that is always drunk in your guild altho you already know he is a ninja steals all loot doesn't know any fights etc.

Well Rockmanzero, he gave his wow armory link, plus if he was a ninja and all that crap he would just lie in the application instead of making a joke, there's not really a way of avoiding those with just a web forum application now a days.
    I really only see it as a way of showing your interest nothing more.

In vanilla there wasn't a wow armory, so we had to apply; i.e.: say what we have done in the past, link our gear and spec etc. Now there's not a real use for the questionary we have to fill so I get that people start to joke a little around it.

If it was my decision you would only have to put your character name, wow armory link, some bland personal information and if you had friends within the guild, that would be it.

I was just qqing I guess about how people like to play "real life bosses" when within a guild.. And I already have enough of that at work.

WoW mirrors real life. Just like there are people who take their hobbies and pastimes very seriously in real life, there are those who take their online presence in WoW very seriously too. Usually, those people will want to form into guilds of like-minded people in order to get a task done as quickly and efficiently as possible, progression for example, so they want to make absolutely sure that anyone joining them is not a complete tool and a waste of time. A rigorous interrogation is not out of the question here. Now, this may not be your cup of tea, you may enjoy your online presence laid back and with humorous company, and that's fine too, to each his own and you're free to play however you want. Therefore, you can't pass judgment on the way others conduct their recruitment policy just because it's not to your liking, they may have very valid reasons to screen people properly.
    - Schizophrenics have alts irl -
    "World of Warcraft is actually a very politically themed game, it's an indictment of European colonialism and American imperialism where you run around different lands killing people and looting all their shit"

Quote Originally Posted by Abstract View Post
    hahahah!

It's another one with a russian guy.. He had applied to a guild, and someone from his old guild replied on the new guilds forum.. He asked him why he dc'ed the day before.. Then he comes up with this sick story about some burglars who broke in to his house, and he killed both of them, and now theres blood on the ground.. If someone could find this, I would be very grateful
    Cant post links yet, but what you are looking for is an application to the guild "Rising". The applicant's name is "mobydick".
    The thread is epic. Just google "How not to make an application warlock 70 mobydic"

Deleted
    I can't really link the applications, since it's in Swedish (we're a Swedish guild) but essentially, almost every answer had the word "lol" added to it.

Also, half the questions were unanswered.

Let's just say we didn't spend very long thinking about the application.