Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #21

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Correct me if I'm wrong but as we get better gear....T8, T9 and so on, I don't care how good your tank is, dps classes will cause more threat and shadow affinity will need to be used...Imp VE doesn't increase the healing all that much anyways. KEEP SHADOW AFFINITY!!!

  2. #22

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldlayne
    Don't use Imp Shadowform for pve please.
    This is such a fail advice, I actually tried to find words to describe it but I couldn't. Please, don't give such WRONG advices. Also, OP, do not listen to this guy.
    Advising one not to take Imp. Shadowform is borderline retarded. Shadow Affinity? You.. pull aggro? Ever heard of preemptive fade before going all out with Mind Sear? If you play in a scrub guild with clicker tanks who have never played wow before wotlk then I understand the need for it, but any person who considers themselves a mediocre or higher level raider will NEVER advise for Shadow Affinity against Imp. Shadowform.

    You don't stand in aoe? How about Loatheb? How about frost damage dealt at Sapphiron? How about getting hit by Frostbolts at KT? How about Lava Cyclones at Sartharion (just don't tell me you're so good you avoid them all easily) or Twilight Torment where you damage yourself while, omg, CHANNELING. Naturally, you can go without ISF at mentioned encounters, but advising against it and mentioning Shadow Affinity is plain dumb because SA is useless talent at the current level. I'd really love to see your dps at Sarth 3D without ISF, can you please post your guild's wws?

    Also, for the guy who went with http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?priest=050320013000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000320023241223110325152301351& glyph=111719030601]this build[/url] - it's not PvE build, you do want 5/5 MB for maximum dps output. First off, silence is useless for pve, entirely. So why do you suggest your build for the guy who asked for pve builds? Comprehension problems?

    @OP - your build is just perfect, just use that 1 point in Inner Focus than in SA (as suggested already) and you're fine.

  3. #23

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Sigh, so much hate over some of this crap. Spec how you want and play how you want but I personally use - http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...h=000000000000

    No Imp VE for me because like the guy that said his tanks don't suck well guess what nor do my healers. Having 2/3 SA is enough for me to open up fast AoE on Sarth3D and many other places.

  4. #24

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    There's no hate involved, it's my way of talking. Also, why would one deliberately leave out dps talents (such as Imp. Mind Blast) to get Silence? Or why would one choose to suffer spell cast penalty because they don't want Imp. Shadowform? That affects DPS, which is what you don't want to.

    That makes no sense if you go for pve dps. You want every single dps talent, even if it means 0.5% dps upgrade - it matters. Leaving out Imp. VE to take something else is perfectly fine in my book, you feel your healers are good and you want reduced threat. Your dps won't suffer, which is what matters IMO.

  5. #25

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    i love imp vE.

    On fights like sarth 3D even more, while other dps'er have to watch their healthbar during twillight torment I can keep myself up. And even with 0/3 Shadow affinity i can directly begin to mind sear... if i pull aggro ... fade.. so no need for SA.


  6. #26

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Or you fade + mind sear, thus making no threat whatsoever. When fade ends, your threat begins to build up, and by that time tank will have enough of it to keep mobs on himself.

  7. #27

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    There's no hate involved, it's my way of talking. Also, why would one deliberately leave out dps talents (such as Imp. Mind Blast) to get Silence? Or why would one choose to suffer spell cast penalty because they don't want Imp. Shadowform? That affects DPS, which is what you don't want to.

    That makes no sense if you go for pve dps. You want every single dps talent, even if it means 0.5% dps upgrade - it matters. Leaving out Imp. VE to take something else is perfectly fine in my book, you feel your healers are good and you want reduced threat. Your dps won't suffer, which is what matters IMO.
    Maybe i use 4/5 Imp. Mind Blast cuz it works better with my haste rating?
    or maybe it just works better with my rotation
    tbh its a remainder of bc where 4/5 just worked better.. since u would happily cancel ur mindflay for mindblast which I don't do anymore
    and i would have to cancel mindflay and lose at least 1 tick for mindblast getting out 0.5 sec faster
    but no idea if its my rotation/haste or whatever thats causing this
    and like i said i just love to have the silence
    its not like i just posted some post and said something like "spec this"

  8. #28

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Quote Originally Posted by fl4shi
    Maybe i use 4/5 Imp. Mind Blast cuz it works better with my haste rating?
    or maybe it just works better with my rotation
    tbh its a remainder of bc where 4/5 just worked better.. since u would happily cancel ur mindflay for mindblast which I don't do anymore
    and i would have to cancel mindflay and lose at least 1 tick for mindblast getting out 0.5 sec faster
    but no idea if its my rotation/haste or whatever thats causing this
    and like i said i just love to have the silence
    its not like i just posted some post and said something like "spec this"
    It's not BC anymore.

    Maximizing Mind Blasts is a solid DPS increase.

  9. #29

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    Or you fade + mind sear, thus making no threat whatsoever. When fade ends, your threat begins to build up, and by that time tank will have enough of it to keep mobs on himself.
    Or you could not hit fade and already be mind searing.

  10. #30

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Or you could Fade 1.5 seconds earlier and lose nothing.

  11. #31

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Quote Originally Posted by Winstoned
    Or you could not hit fade and already be mind searing.
    Yet another one who's born with comprehension problems..

  12. #32

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Someones arguing Imp. Shadowform has no pve use? and someones thinking shadow affinity will be need to be used in the next content patches?!

    There is one shadow priest build for PvE.
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...h=000000000000

    You gonna take something out of Imp VE/Shadowform for what? Shadow Affinity??

    We get new gear, tank gets new gear. Our dps goes up, their TPS goes up. Which meannnnsssss....TANKING IS A JOKE AND IF YOU NEED TO PUT POINTS IN SHADOW AFFINITY, recruit a new a tank because this game is a joke compared to Sunwell tanking.

    And if your not gonna recruit a new tank then guess what your a crappy guild and YOU are the reason this game is getting worse. It still has it's "hard modes" to challenge end game guilds, but it should be hard already.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

  13. #33

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Quote Originally Posted by Seradetbc
    There is one shadow priest build for PvE.
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?prie...h=191817060305
    Fixed.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

  14. #34

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Quote Originally Posted by Sausagefan
    It's not BC anymore.

    Maximizing Mind Blasts is a solid DPS increase.

    just using some numbers to proof my point
    mf non crit (1 tick): 1600 / 1600 dps but for 0.5sec it would mean to have lost 3200dps
    mf crit (1 tick): 3200 / 3200 dps but for 0.5sec it would mean to have lost 6400dps

    mb non crit: 3500 / 2333.33 dps
    mb crit: 7000 / 4666.66 dps

    so mf does more dps in my case (having 0.5sec more cd on mb)
    i just think canceling the last tick just to get the mb out 0.5sec faster is lowering your dps
    but i will get more haste rating.. with my haste rating atm the 0.5sec lowered cd isnt worth it

  15. #35

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    Or you fade + mind sear, thus making no threat whatsoever. When fade ends, your threat begins to build up, and by that time tank will have enough of it to keep mobs on himself.
    Incorrect

    Fade sets your threat to 0, you still generate threat but your threat is set to 0 for the duration of the fade effect. When the effect ends, all the threat you generated is applied to you instantly and this is a massive difference to what you described above.

    It has somewhat of the same effect as you described because tank threat is far above yours, so they will generate enough threat (depending on the number of mobs) to hold aggro after the effect has finished.

  16. #36
    Epic! gaymer77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    1,664

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    http://tinyurl.com/c3ztm8

    That is THE cookie cutter build for pve shadow priests. If you notice it is unfinished leaving you room to fill in as needed. Depending on your gear, your tank's gear, and your problems with mana is how you should spend your talents. What isn't shown is that both Meditation (disc tree) and Inner Focus (disc tree) aren't on there but are part of the cookie cutter build. The reason why they don't show up is because it allows you to pick where the 2 points come from on your own. Nearly every spriest picks up Imp PW:Fort so they don't have to rely on others to fort them for max HP if they die or are out & about but some go with Martydom or Silent Resolve for a little pvp survivability outside of raiding. So essentially you have 10 points to play with after the cookie cutter build (add 2 for the points you need to spend in disc to be able to get to tier 3).

    What the moron who was talking about Imp SF doesn't know is that in pve setting you shouldn't be sitting in fuckin AOE to begin with. Imp SF doesn't reduce the dmg you take but it reduces pushback from casting & channeling spells along with removing movement imparing affects (which is why its a pvp talent not a pve talent). If you're getting pushback (which in a 25 man setting is easily fixed with con aura from a pally) then that means you're taking dmg which means you're a fuckin retard to begin with for sitting there making your healers have to heal you.

    Focused Mind is concidered an optional talent based on how well you regen your mana. For people like me, when I had 3 points in the talent I would never go below 90% mana unless replinishment was off me for some reason which never seems to be the case & why I removed it from my build too and still don't go below 75% mana on any boss fight or trash. Its normally a good idea to pick up if you don't have a couple surv hunters and/or ret pallies with you to guarentee an endless supply of mana back to you in addition to your own guarentee of replinishment every 5.5 seconds.

    Shadow Affinity is an optional talent that is normally recommended for spriests so that they can go all out without having to worry at all about threat. Personally I can be top 3 on dmg meters & dps without ever coming close to the tank or ever having to fade at all (infact I've removed fade from my toolbar because I haven't used it since 3.0 came out). There is 1 point put in the cookie cutter build so you can reach the tier 6 talents based soley on this build. If you put points into something before tier 6 you can decide to remove the 1 point or not but its still recommended the 1 point. BTW for the priests talking about preemptive fade or "that's what fade is for", fade only drops a small amount of threat. At 70 it was a whole 2000 threat which was about what 1 mindblast would generate & at 80 is about 2500.

    Veiled Shadows has nothing put in it because the only reason you get it is for the lowered CD on your shadowfiend. The majority of boss fights don't last more than 3 minutes so that's why its concidered a wasted talent since the fade portion is useless.

    Now that leaves a whole lot of stuff open for you to play with depending on what you want to achieve with your priest. Some like the option of silence while others go for Blackout or Imp SF or even Psychic Horror or even dabble in Mental Agility (disc) or Imp Mana Burn (disc) for the pvp aspect they provide.

    In the end, after you get the base talents, the rest is up to you to mess around with how you see fit.

  17. #37
    Epic! gaymer77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    1,664

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    Incorrect

    Fade sets your threat to 0, you still generate threat but your threat is set to 0 for the duration of the fade effect. When the effect ends, all the threat you generated is applied to you instantly and this is a massive difference to what you described above.
    You're a complete moron. Fade stops threat generation while it is active & dumps a small amount of built up threat. It does not reset your threat to 0 while it is active. What this means is that all new spells cast provide 0 threat but all your dots still generate threat because they were cast before you entered the fade state. SW:Pain is different if you cast MF and it renews the dot because then its a new dot with the 0 threat generator on it. Your VT, VE, and DP still generate the same amount of threat which is why if you do happen to pull agro as a spriest, it normally requires a taunt from the tank. We're back end loaded threat (meaning our threat continues to build up even after we stop our dps because our dots are still ticking away whereas a mage or lock can simply stop their dps and see their threat go down almost immediately).

  18. #38
    Epic! gaymer77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    1,664

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    **edited to remove the filler points I had in for something else & removed everything in the disc tree after the 3 points in Improved Inner Fire**

    Had to come back & add the actual link since tinyurl isn't allowed

    http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...12025152301351

  19. #39

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77
    Had to come back & add the actual link since tinyurl isn't allowed

    http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...12025152301351
    Missing a 3 minute shadowfiend and 15% mana cost reduction on most of your spells for MANA BURN? This is a PvE build, not PvP.

    And once you go to Ulduar, fights aren't gonna be the lol3 minute crap we were pulling in High King Maulgar back at 70
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

  20. #40

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77
    You're a complete moron. Fade stops threat generation while it is active & dumps a small amount of built up threat. It does not reset your threat to 0 while it is active. What this means is that all new spells cast provide 0 threat but all your dots still generate threat because they were cast before you entered the fade state. SW:Pain is different if you cast MF and it renews the dot because then its a new dot with the 0 threat generator on it. Your VT, VE, and DP still generate the same amount of threat which is why if you do happen to pull agro as a spriest, it normally requires a taunt from the tank. We're back end loaded threat (meaning our threat continues to build up even after we stop our dps because our dots are still ticking away whereas a mage or lock can simply stop their dps and see their threat go down almost immediately).
    As of 3.0, this was changed so that Fade drops not a small amount, but quite large (90000000), most times pushing you off the bar for that period of time. And so yes, all spells you previously cast are not on the aggro table anymore, and all spells you cast now do cause threat, but when you're probably in the negatives, you're going to stay in the negatives for aggro for that 10 seconds, when fade comes back.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •