Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
  1. #61

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldlayne
    You shouldn't be standing in aoe in the first place.

    2 wasted points. Better spent in Shadow Affinity so you can /lolmindsear more.
    Get a tank that doesn't suck? Seriously, threat reduction abilities are a waste of points. As for not standing in AoE, that is a personal decision, you have to value your chance at survival against the damage lost, and in most cases you should be moving if that damage will kill you and not moving if that damage is a joke (that is even without VE because healers can easily heal you through the joke aoe).
    I used to be hardcore, then I discovered how fun it is to get laid on an almost daily basis. I'll take sex over WoW any day, so now I'm casual.

  2. #62

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldlayne
    Shit tanks has nothing to do with it because our tanks are anything but. The point is, I can start casting mind sear before the mobs are even in the tanks aoe and won't pull aggro. (Naxx skitters, firemen, welps).
    You can start casting your aoe before the tank has even done anything to the mob and still not pull aggro because you have a 30% reduction to your aggro is what you are seriously trying to sell? 70% is still greater than ZERO. The second a tank gets aggro you won't pull it off them if they are any good. However, I don't buy that you can just pull with your aoe and never get aggro before the tank has done anything.
    I used to be hardcore, then I discovered how fun it is to get laid on an almost daily basis. I'll take sex over WoW any day, so now I'm casual.

  3. #63

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldlayne
    I take 0 net damage because I don't get hit with aoe (...and also use imp ve). There's a giant blizzard coming your way? Move out of the way. Imp SF does not affect fire walls, void zones (I think you mean fissures) or poison clouds.

    My statement stands, Imp SF is for those who don't pay attention.
    You need to learn when moving and losing dps is worth it and when it isn't. ISF keeps you from getting interrupted when you stand in AoE. Every single time you move you lose dps. Its not worth it 75% of the time. Therefore, learn to stay in AoE that you can be healed through instead of letting your dps go to crap simply because you think you should move out of every aoe.
    I used to be hardcore, then I discovered how fun it is to get laid on an almost daily basis. I'll take sex over WoW any day, so now I'm casual.

  4. #64
    Scarab Lord AetherMcLoud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    My own private hell
    Posts
    4,156

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Besides the fact that a 3min shadowfiend is helpful on a few encounters, it still does damage while giving you mana. It may not be much, but even if it does just 1 single DPS then the 2 talent points for -2 min cooldown give you a dps increase. Considering that all the other available talents for those points DO NOT give you a dps increase, spending 2 points for shadowfiend is the best option available.

    Not spending 2 points on Imp. VE I can understand.
    Not spending 2 points on Veiled Shadows I cannot.

    Only if you do not EVER use shadowfiend I can understand not putting 2 points into the corresponding talent.
    I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite signature on the forum.

  5. #65

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldlayne
    GG concentration aura..
    35% =/= 75%
    You also can't be assure to always have concentration aura in the group because if you are running with one holy and one ret the holy will almost always run devotion instead unless it is a fight where they personally will be interrupted.

    There are no movement impairing effects to be removed if you have any common sense in this content.
    Apparently you have never had a Blizzard dropped on top of you right before air phase. You must be lucky then.

    And I didn't realize a threat dump was useless. (firemen, aggro drops)?
    There are very few aggro drops and all bosses that drop threat are no longer immune to taunt. Fire elementals are a joke if your tank doesn't suck. Threat reduction mechanics including fade are pointless in Wrath unless your tanks suck. Hell, I can pop my cool downs and spam out my burst threat abilities on my paladin tank and be above the dps if the boss is at 60% with no misdirects when the main tank dies, so I would have to say that worrying about threat in Wrath as a dps is insane.
    I used to be hardcore, then I discovered how fun it is to get laid on an almost daily basis. I'll take sex over WoW any day, so now I'm casual.

  6. #66

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Quote Originally Posted by Tmasterg
    Correct me if I'm wrong but as we get better gear....T8, T9 and so on, I don't care how good your tank is, dps classes will cause more threat and shadow affinity will need to be used...Imp VE doesn't increase the healing all that much anyways. KEEP SHADOW AFFINITY!!!
    No it will not. You are wrong. What you didn't take into account is that those tanks will also be getting much better gear and still doing much more threat than you. Imp VE is not an optional talent even if "it doesn't increase the healing that much" (although 67% seems like a crap load to me). Shadow Affinity and other threat reduction talents are left overs from a system that actually required you to manage threat. They should have been taken out when Blessing of Salvation was and replaced with decent talents.
    I used to be hardcore, then I discovered how fun it is to get laid on an almost daily basis. I'll take sex over WoW any day, so now I'm casual.

  7. #67

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    If you play in a scrub guild with clicker tanks who have never played wow before wotlk then I understand the need for it
    Excuse me but I am a clicker tank and I don't lose aggro and I don't die in area of affect and I pay pretty damn decent attention to the things going on around me and I'm one of our guilds best tanks as a clicker. Stop assuming a key masher is better than a clicker they have nothing to do with personal skill. Thanks!

    it's not PvE build, you do want 5/5 MB for maximum dps output. First off, silence is useless for pve, entirely. So why do you suggest your build for the guy who asked for pve builds? Comprehension problems?
    I completely agree here. Then again that was the same scrub that said that VE was just a waste of a gcd and should be playing a warlock not a shadow priest.
    I used to be hardcore, then I discovered how fun it is to get laid on an almost daily basis. I'll take sex over WoW any day, so now I'm casual.

  8. #68

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Quote Originally Posted by Winstoned
    Sigh, so much hate over some of this crap. Spec how you want and play how you want but I personally use
    Sure, but don't expect any good guild to put up with you while you do so.

    No Imp VE for me because like the guy that said his tanks don't suck well guess what nor do my healers. Having 2/3 SA is enough for me to open up fast AoE on Sarth3D and many other places.
    Your healers are already taxed as it is. Especially in 3d. Every little bit of healing you do that they don't have to do is a good thing. Also, I don't know if I can even believe that you are doing 3 drakes because no scrub guild has done it yet and no good guild would take a shadow priest that thinks that improved ve is better than 2/3 shadow affinity.
    I used to be hardcore, then I discovered how fun it is to get laid on an almost daily basis. I'll take sex over WoW any day, so now I'm casual.

  9. #69

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Quote Originally Posted by fl4shi
    Maybe i use 4/5 Imp. Mind Blast cuz it works better with my haste rating?
    Moron say what? Please explain to me how reducing the cool down on your most powerful spell has ANYTHING to do with haste. Haste does not reduce cool downs on spells. You can't be this stupid or maybe you can.

    or maybe it just works better with my rotation
    You have a rotation that keeps you from casting the most powerful spell every time it is off of cool down? Get a new rotation.

    tbh its a remainder of bc where 4/5 just worked better.. since u would happily cancel ur mindflay for mindblast which I don't do anymore
    4/5 didn't work better for over all damage in TBC either. MF should be canceled for MB. Not to mention you were the one just arguing about haste, and I always get a full MF in with IMB 5/5 before MB is back up even with 100 haste.

    and i would have to cancel mindflay and lose at least 1 tick for mindblast getting out 0.5 sec faster
    MF has had a lot of improvement but it is still a filler spell. You should be canceling MF to keep MB on cool down every single time it is up.

    but no idea if its my rotation/haste or whatever thats causing this
    and like i said i just love to have the silence
    its not like i just posted some post and said something like "spec this"
    There are better ways to get the silence and there is no excuse for not fast casting your most powerful spell. If you want silence then take one point from FM and 2 points from SR (get the MF glyph) and put those 3 points into IPS and Silence.
    I used to be hardcore, then I discovered how fun it is to get laid on an almost daily basis. I'll take sex over WoW any day, so now I'm casual.

  10. #70

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Quote Originally Posted by Winstoned
    Or you could not hit fade and already be mind searing.
    Or you could have a decent AoE tank in your guild that allows you to open up all your aoe as soon as they hit the mobs because you simply will not get aggro.
    I used to be hardcore, then I discovered how fun it is to get laid on an almost daily basis. I'll take sex over WoW any day, so now I'm casual.

  11. #71

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    I'm in a guild that is currently working on Sarth 3D. Done 2D etc. I am also a shadow Priest.
    I am specced in Imp VE and have 0 points in Shadow Affinity

    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...halas&n=Shadet

    I like my spec and I can assure you that at no time do I come anywhere near ANY of our tanks on Threat.

    At this point in time, Shadow Affinity is NOT required even if you wish to go all out from the start with VE on. In the future as gear gets better, it MAY become necessary to take Shadow Affinity again, If this is the case then I will move points from Imp VE into this. But until that point Imp VE makes dealing with Twighlight Torment much easier!

    In Reference to Mind Sear, you could always use the optimal AoE method, where you Put Devouring Plague on the Main target (Where the Deathknights can the spread it to the other mobs), select another target, VT, SW:P and them Mind Sear that target for optimal AoE Dps. You won't find any aggro problems here where you will even need fade!

  12. #72

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77
    I would really love to see the armory for many of these people giving advice on how they don't pull threat & they don't have even 1 point in SA.
    There is not a single dps that even comes to close to my Naxx25 tank. She is missing one bis (from my stand point maybe more if you actually value t7.5 for the 4 set). I blow the dps out of the water threat wise and we have very geared dps. I even blow the melee away on threat. A completely geared dps will have no threat problems if the tank has decent gear and knows how to tank.
    I used to be hardcore, then I discovered how fun it is to get laid on an almost daily basis. I'll take sex over WoW any day, so now I'm casual.

  13. #73

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Quote Originally Posted by shadet
    you could always use the optimal AoE method, where you Put Devouring Plague on the Main target (Where the Deathknights can the spread it to the other mobs),
    This is a known bug and Blizzard has a fix for it coming soon. DKs are not supposed to spread your dp. It would be nice if they were supposed to, but they are not. For some reason their ability that spread diseases considers this as one of their diseases and that will be fixed.
    I used to be hardcore, then I discovered how fun it is to get laid on an almost daily basis. I'll take sex over WoW any day, so now I'm casual.

  14. #74

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Quote Originally Posted by Daez
    This is a known bug and Blizzard has a fix for it coming soon. DKs are not supposed to spread your dp. It would be nice if they were supposed to, but they are not. For some reason their ability that spread diseases considers this as one of their diseases and that will be fixed.
    Source?

    The tooltip says:

    Causes 65 to 79 Shadow damage to the target and all targets within 0 yards and spreads any diseases on the target to the additional targets.
    So I'd like to see the source of your "known bug".

  15. #75
    Herald of the Titans Ave07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    2,945

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Saphiron aoe anyone?

  16. #76
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,274

    Re: Shadow priest PVE build

    Quote Originally Posted by Daez
    Improved shadow form is actually a very useful pve talent. You are assuming you will never take damage on any fight and that is simply not the case. A good deal of our damage is channeled so we feel aoe damage a lot more than any other class. ISF helps us to avoid those losses in damage.
    I think the removal of snares with Fade is much much more important than the pushback resistance in today's content.

    Fade is also (specially when glyphed) alot cheaper than a dispel. Surely we will see things as frost nova in PvE raiding again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daez
    Therefore, learn to stay in AoE that you can be healed through instead of letting your dps go to crap simply because you think you should move out of every aoe.
    To extend this, only stay in the AoE if Devouring Plague, Seal of Light and VE can keep you up.

    I use improved VE because it allows me to ignore Twilight Torment on Sartharion+3, and on Sapphiron I do over 100k self-healing, I'd say that saves the healers *some* casts on me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Daez
    Stop assuming a key masher is better than a clicker they have nothing to do with personal skill. Thanks!
    You can't abuse the spellqueue as a clicker, so while being a clicker don't make you a retard, it's definitive not efficient.

    Also, using the mouse is bad for your hand.

    Quote Originally Posted by shadet
    I'm in a guild that is currently working on Sarth 3D. Done 2D etc. I am also a shadow Priest. I am specced in Imp VE and have 0 points in Shadow Affinity
    Yeah, that's a really good build for that fight especially. There is some pushback on Sartharion (adds all over the place), and VE is godly for Twilight Torment as mentioned before.

    Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    So I'd like to see the source of your "known bug".
    It's not classified as a bug, it's classified as a feature. Nobody said anything about it being unintended, and it's really really nice for Sartharion.

    But they are changing Pestilence to do less damage, but still spread the diseases which is thumbs up for us and the deekays.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •