Affliction heroic instances performance

Hello, I'm currently affliction/ruin specced, and I have some questions about heroic instances performance. I basically need a few playstyle tips.
    The problem I'm facing is that basically mobs die too fast, which doesn't let my dots complete their full duration, thus me being low in DPS. I was wondering if someone could enlighten me on which dots to use, or if it would just be best to spam shadowbolt or another spell, or if it's best to dot all the mobs in the group etc.
    Thanks in advance

Re: Affliction heroic instances performance

Quote Originally Posted by Metal_Head
    Hello, I'm currently affliction/ruin specced, and I have some questions about heroic instances performance. I basically need a few playstyle tips.
    The problem I'm facing is that basically mobs die too fast, which doesn't let my dots complete their full duration, thus me being low in DPS. I was wondering if someone could enlighten me on which dots to use, or if it would just be best to spam shadowbolt or another spell, or if it's best to dot all the mobs in the group etc.
    Thanks in advance
    Everything I have heard, seen, read is cast a dot and spam Shadow Bolt on trash. The bosses will allow you to do most of your rotation length.

On trash it's normal to hardly get any dmg in on the mobs, when i was affliction spec i just cast a couple of SoC and RoF and a shadowbolt here and there, drain soul and thats about it. That's if you have a competent tank..bosses are where the magic happens really. Either that or just cast a few dots on each mob (CoA, Corr, Imm etc) couple shadowbolts etc and just do as much dps as you can, after all it's normal for affliction spec locks to not do a huge amount of dmg on trash mobs.

Tenlos - Formerly Xiper

Although affliction in 5-mans feels a lot like pulling teeth there are some things you can do to up your dps on trash.

If there are 3 or more and you are aoeing then Seed, Tab, Seed, Tab, Seed, until there are 1 or 2 left, then shadowbolt spam.

If there are only 2 or the group isn't being aoed, it boils down to how long they stay up. If they're staying up long enough for more than half a corruption duration, put up haunt, corruption, then shadowbolt the focus target, or put corruption on them both then shadowbolt the focus.

Basically, just get a feel for how whether or not its worth dotting. Generally though, in 5-mans, you'll only use corruption on trash as far as dots go.

I wouldn't worry about it though, anyone who comments on an afflic lock not doing much dps in a 5-man hasn't seen what a good afflic lock does in a raid. You'll still get through the heroic fine, your group will finish, so don't worry about your dps. Its just a heroic afterall.

This is usually what I end up with:

Strong tank/strong dps/group of mobs = SoC
    Weak tank/strong dps/group of mobs = single target SB
    Weak tank/weak dps/group of mobs = single target Haunt, Corr, SB
    Strong dps/single medium life mob = Haunt, Corr, SB
    Weak dps/single medium life mob = full rotation

Bosses are full rotation.

This is my typical play style.
    Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Thanks for the advice guys I'll try it out, hopefully I'll be able to do more damage in general now.

Dual spec will be here soon as well my friend, so you can swap out if you feel like it.

If there are more then 3 mobs (or at least 3), I SoC, tab, Soc, tab.... Put CoA or something to proc Molten Core and RoF. Usualy get 3k+ dps on trash packs that I can pull that off.

Ofc a good tank is a must for this. Else just put a dot or 2 up and spam SB.

I am Druid - Play Free Online Games

most of the times i just apply cor, sl and coa on every mob first. then i SB/haunt all the rest down
    All men…are NOT created equal! Some are born smarter, or more beautiful, or with parents of greater status. Some, by contrast, are born weak of body or mind, or with few, if any, talents. All men are different! Yes, the very existence of man is discriminatory! That's why there is war, violence and unrest. Inequality is not evil. Equality is! - Emperor Charles zi Britannia