Hunter versus Rogue

Hey guys,

I'm a pretty mediocore hunter, hovering around 1600-1700.
    I've got about 400 Resilience and I play with a holy paladin.

Three times in a row now we've encounter the same holy paladin/rogue team and we just can't beat them.
    each time, I pretty much get the opening by using track hidden + aggresive pet, that's when he just uses sprint to get to me and starts wailing away.

I tried to slow/cc the rogue at first but because the paladin seemed to dispell everything and is pretty much unkillable in the duration the rogue is stunned/cc'd, we tried to cc the paladin instead which worked pretty well. However, with the paladin stunned, the rogue started using cooldowns evasion/dismantle/vanish/blind everything to stop me from dps'ing (often surviving with about 10% left ofcourse)

Anyway, the problem I have with the rogue is that I can't get away, after masters call and a trinket, I can't do shit to keep the rogue away from me, even with scatter shot/concusive shot it feels like I can get 2 maybe 3 shots off before he's back on me.
    and yes I'm strafing, but I'm just constantly slowed.

now I'm not asking for retarded responses in the sense of "zomg I can solo 3 classes at once even if one is a rogue" or "lol zomg how can you lose to a rogue" without posting anything constructive.
    Yes, I have lrn2play issues, I know, which is why I'm asking for help.

Re: Hunter versus Rogue

I can help but you need to be more specific, like who dies first most of the time, you or your paladin. What is your rotation and how do you counter each of the rogues cds. What do u normally do to cc the paladin? Anything else you want to add will help me help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Packapunch7
    I can help but you need to be more specific, like who dies first most of the time, you or your paladin. What is your rotation and how do you counter each of the rogues cds. What do u normally do to cc the paladin? Anything else you want to add will help me help you.
    They focus fully on me, damage wise, paladin receives the cc.
    usually this doesn't kill me, but it does mean my paladin uses more mana then his to keep me up, so we'll lose the oom battle.
    I don't have a rotation in PVP, I priotise shots. 1) aimed shot up 2) explosive shot 3) serpent sting.

if the rogue is on me, I usually try to scatter shot first. (though I'd rather use it on the paladin) drop a frost trap and strafe away, if he gets on me again, I masters call + disengage, third time is usually when he stuns me again and I trinket.

in all this time, I can't get enough damage in to kill him. because during all this I'm also trying to watch for opportunities to cc the paladin.
    though because I'm constantly slowed, he's losing me quite good

Quote Originally Posted by Proz
    400 Resilience
    find more pieces of gear with resilience on them ;p

Your slows are traps, wingclip, concussion shot...
    Rogue's slows are poisons.
    The pala can dispel the poisons, so if you keep up a freeze (or is it frost? the one aoe slow on I mean hehe) trap you should be able to kite him quite well. At least when BoF is on CD.
    Keep your pet on the pala and keep mana drain shot up on the pala too. This way his mana will get drained without him being able to drink.

I play disc priest / rogue and hunter/holydin is a hard combo for us since the hunter kites me so well. We always kill the pet as fast as possible. Because if the pet is on the priest and he can't drink we loose.

keep a frost trap down and kite him around that. your paladin should hand of freedom you out of kidney shots. tranq shot the rogue to no buffs so when he gets hand of freedom you can get it off of him. if you circle kite the rogue correctly, they will never catch you especially since their slow on you is dispellable by your paladin. your paladin should be wearing out his dispel key against any rogue team you play, if he isnt then thats something to look into. also think about training a crab for 2's. the pin ability is incredible if you use it at the right times. when the rogue is getting low, coordinate wyvern sting, scatter trap, and HOJ on the opposing paladin..thats 21 seconds of downtime(factoring diminishing returns from wyvern and the trap) provided he doesnt have trinket or bubble. hope this helps.

My best advice is that you should tell your pally friend that he has two nifty little spells called hand of freedom and clense.
    tokes
    <E V A C>
    80 night elf rogue
    aegwynn - us

I went to sleep and didn't check this again. From what I've seen you need a new paladin. If he does what these guys have suggested and it still doesn't work, if you don't already, start using your focus target and focus target macros to cc the paladin faster than he can cast spells.

My favorite thing to do in a arena is focus the paladin till he goes to bubble/cc me and heal, when he does my paladin and I both start busting the shit out of the other guy while I watch the paladin. As soon as he comes out i throw all my cc on the paladin and the other guy usually goes down.

first of all, get more resilience, most hunters are stacking it due to the fact every combo is going to be on you unless they want to be exploded.

hoj rogue, rogue trinkets if he doesnt kill him. if he does pet stun and shoot him. during this time you should be also trying to sleep the pally as much as possible.

or you can scare the pally by shooting him so he los you and his rogue. kill rogue win. just keep in mind hunters do much much much more burst than rogues.
    i'm a rogue nerf me please.

Curious to know what kind of survival spec you use as well. There are a lot of additional talents that allow you to keep the rogue immobilized and in the traps. So, head to arena junkies or research some better PvP specs if you aren't already using one.

Defenitely get more resil. With that little resil, I wouldn't be surprised if the rogue can burst you in one stun, or make your pally go OOM in the first 20 seconds cause he is healing his balls off.

Get a crab for melee teams. Pin can be the difference between a win/loss at times.

Hunter/Pally has a wide variety of CC to use, but use it on the paladin and keep the rogue in front of you and ranged enough for a kill shot and you'll be golden.

If you can't beat a rogue as a hunter you are pretty bad.

Put down a frost aura trap, kite him through it, have your pally spam cleanse on you, and just kite the hell out of him while blasting him. Rogues are squishy.