First post in years

Hey beautiful people .

I played WOW for years, first lock then Mage. I stopped playing almost a year a go and gave the account to a friend of mine. thanks to him I have 3 level 80 chars :P. Im raiding with my mage currently and Im under the impression that My gear is pretty good and I should do good damage. I raided NAX 25 this week twice and every one was doing more damage than me, hunters, locks, DK. You name it ^^. Can you take a look at the armory profile and the spec and tell me what to do. some advice will help

I wanted to send a link to Armory, but I guess Im so out of date I have no idea how to access it.

Char name is Malakista

Re: First post in years

Love ya mate thanks

Deleted

Get your hit up!

What's your rotation?

Here's my comments...

Talents:
    Get rid of flame throwing, with the FFB spec it doesnt affect FFB, put one of these points in World in flames, the other is up to you.

Stats:
    As already noted, your hit is quite low, you want to get around 290+, this isnt the cap by a long shot yet for raiding you should be able to rely on reaching your cap from this value based on other ppl in your raid.

Your SP seems at a good level, so try to maintain this whilst getting a bit more +hit and perhaps a bit of +haste too.

Gear:
    seems ok to me except for the stats issues, although I would say you have a few items in there with MP5 and +spi which ok mages can benefit slightly from, yet it sacrifices the other important stats.

Other:
    Get an eternal belt buckle on that belt of yours and gem it with +Hit
    Put Icealker enchant on your boots.
    Grind Sons of Hodir rep to get shoulder enchant.

hope this helps

Wrong meta gem as well, you want Chaotic Skyflare Diamond in there.

Thank you Thank you for the info. I will try to update my gear accordingly and chnage the gyms and get some hit.

My rotation is and Im the only MAGE in the guild(Thats why I get all loot which is good):

scorch x5
    LB dot
    FFB

I try to keep LB as much as I can and scorch all the time. And when ever I see the free Pyro I hit it.

Should I be looking at some rotation?

Quote Originally Posted by Tich
    My rotation is and Im the only MAGE in the guild(Thats why I get all loot which is good):

scorch x5
    LB dot
    FFB

I try to keep LB as much as I can and scorch all the time. And when ever I see the free Pyro I hit it.
    Should only need 2 scorches, if you are glyphed.

Glyphs should be FFB, scorch and molten armor. if they arent, fix that.

You should only ever scorch to keep the debuff up, barring padding it on movement fights, you should be scorching as close to the debuff wearing off as you can reliably land it. If you dont have a timer on the debuff, get a mod that shows one.

Otherwise, the rotation is solid.

-Moon

well first, you can't compared how much dps a mage does on trash mobs to over classes. Mages, for the most , suck on trash mobs. Exept if you just spam blizzard, so yea.. Most packs are AoE packs, and having a good gear or a bad gear on AoE packs doesn't change a lot. So it's normal that DK catch you up, and druids.
    Secondly, you're missing some crit for FFB spec.
    Thirdy, FFB is far from being a mages best spec

I would get the badge off hand its 25 badges of heroism and its much more beneficial then what you have on. Also I would get the Kirintor rep head enchant for the extra crit rating. Get the 50 sp and 20 spirit leg enchant. Honestly if I were you with such low hit and haste rating I would get the badge belt and put an eternal buckle in it and stack either 2 hit gems for 16 hit rating or one hit and one haste. The loss of 20 spell power would be made up alot from the hit rating. To be totally honest your lack of dps is all due to your lack of super low hit rating. You need to be sitting at least 10% for raiding. Which is roughly about 250ish if recall correctly. But you really should get Ward of the Violet Citadel for your off hand you lose 13 crit rating but you gain 38 pts in hit rating which means less hit rating gems and you dont lose any spellpower. But these are just my 2cents. I used to be FFB spec but my lack of hit and haste i actually switched to frost arcane for the moment till I get these built up. But thats just me.
    Global warming in Azeroth is serious business. They have melted and seek to flood the world! The Ice Stone has melted!- Kisirani (Blizzard Epic Realm Error "Love is in the Air" Event 2009)

Quote Originally Posted by moongleam
    Should only need 2 scorches, if you are glyphed.

Glyphs should be FFB, scorch and molten armor. if they arent, fix that.

You should only ever scorch to keep the debuff up, barring padding it on movement fights, you should be scorching as close to the debuff wearing off as you can reliably land it. If you dont have a timer on the debuff, get a mod that shows one.

Otherwise, the rotation is solid.

-Moon
    Rotation wise yes these are the right glyphs but the rotation should go Scorchx2, LB, FFB, FFB, and repeat as needed for LB as well as refresh scorch and cast the instant pyro when it procs. Personally I just refreshed scorch when i redid LB that way niether was ever forgotten.
    Global warming in Azeroth is serious business. They have melted and seek to flood the world! The Ice Stone has melted!- Kisirani (Blizzard Epic Realm Error "Love is in the Air" Event 2009)

Quote Originally Posted by icecold
    Rotation wise yes these are the right glyphs but the rotation should go Scorchx2, LB, FFB, FFB, and repeat as needed for LB as well as refresh scorch and cast the instant pyro when it procs. Personally I just refreshed scorch when i redid LB that way niether was ever forgotten.
    hmm you choice about the rescorch, i personally wouldn't do that
    my rotation is more like LB, 1x scorch, FFB spam en hotstreak in between when procs
    keep scorch and LB applied, mostly we have 2 mages in raid whom both do a scorch, otherwise i take both for my account ofc

and my point of view is dat you have to try as late as possible 2/3 seconds (depends a bit on when your last FFB is finished, as long as you are NOT to late) before wearing off, have to reapply scorch, this to minimize DPS loss, because scorch is less dps, and the less you cast, the less you lose

Quote Originally Posted by Conran
    hmm you choice about the rescorch, i personally wouldn't do that
    my rotation is more like LB, 1x scorch, FFB spam en hotstreak in between when procs
    keep scorch and LB applied, mostly we have 2 mages in raid whom both do a scorch, otherwise i take both for my account ofc

and my point of view is dat you have to try as late as possible 2/3 seconds (depends a bit on when your last FFB is finished, as long as you are NOT to late) before wearing off, have to reapply scorch, this to minimize DPS loss, because scorch is less dps, and the less you cast, the less you lose
    Sorry I miss posted my rotation setup. Being I was usally the only FFB mage in the group when I did raid this spec I had to do the Scorchx2 But I didnt refresh it every LB it was every other LB. That way by the time the cast refreshed it had about 1 to 3 seconds left on the debuff. Sorry for the misinformation.

You didn't mention if you are taking advantage of Hot Streak procs or not I know that it might be common sense but you would be surprised how many mages don't take advantage of the proc every time. Never let a Hot Streak proc fall.

Two addons I use are scorchio2 which tracks Scorch and LB and Mage Fever that notifies you of Mage procs that are very noticeable. Makes a box in the middle of your screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Nut
    You didn't mention if you are taking advantage of Hot Streak procs or not I know that it might be common sense but you would be surprised how many mages don't take advantage of the proc every time. Never let a Hot Streak proc fall.

Two addons I use are scorchio2 which tracks Scorch and LB and Mage Fever that notifies you of Mage procs that are very noticeable. Makes a box in the middle of your screen.
    i mentioned hotstreak i believe, altho true you can let it fall, it's a huge dps burts, but that doesn't mean you need to cast it right when it procs, you can wait 1 or 2 cast and use it after second and with some luck get a new proc off it 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Conran
    i mentioned hotstreak i believe, altho true you can let it fall, it's a huge dps burts, but that doesn't mean you need to cast it right when it procs, you can wait 1 or 2 cast and use it after second and with some luck get a new proc off it 8)
    Of course you dont want to break a cast just to take advantage of a Hot Streak proc since you have plenty of time to take advantage of it. I always wait until I can fit it in my rotation and I do the same with LB. I wait until I finish a cast and throw it in at the end. but my comment was towards Tich but since I have a bad habit of scanning and when I seen what he posted of his rotation I didn't finish reading the rest of the comment where he did mention HS and made my comment.

@Tich since you may have an issue of missing a HS proc I would suggest going with the addon I mentioned. (Mage Fever)

MageAlert is also a really nice addon for announcing Hot Streaks.

Thanks Nut. I will download the addons today. And yes I do take advantage of HS when it procs, or at least try 2 every time .

Malice83,

I played the mage form 0 to 80 as I was the one who kept lvling it when every expansion came . But I di dnot raid in such a long time and WOW has chnaged a lot since I raided. That's why I asked. back in the old days it was fireball . And the specs and gear database has increased so much it makes it hard to keep track of it unless you you actually changed the gear yourself