Is MI working right?

The last few weeks when I pop mirror image my threat keeps climbing. I pop it at the start of a fight with my combustion and Icy viens to get out of the gate hot. I now quickly climb the threat meter, and at times have to pop invis. I thought that MI caused zero gain in threat, and when died you returned to the threat when you popped them
    "Peace is a lie"

Re: Is MI working right?

My understanding is that it drops your threat to 0 while the images are up, but you continue to accrue threat. Once the images die, you regain full threat plus whatever was gained during MI.

I haven't had as much time to play around with it as I would like because my mage is not my main, but that was my understanding of how the threat mechanics work.

hhmmm if that's true, then I wonder if it because I am finally hitting 5.5K DPS now. But I swear it was 30 seconds of free threat. Not a threat wipe, but a threat "Freeze"
    "Peace is a lie"

I am not 100% certain either way, but I knew this was kind of the slow period during the day so I figured I would post my understanding of the situation and then if I was completely wrong...at least the post would be tagged for me so I can come back later and find out

I just remember reading a thread earlier this year about someone looking for a timer to track MI's duration so they could reliably cast invis right at the end of it to completely wipe their threat. That is what I was basing my previous post on so if it is incorrect I would be fascinated to find out

You could be right, but then it makes MI almost completely worthless, as DPS is meh.
    "Peace is a lie"

Blademaster
    15+ Year Old Account

My understanding is that it drops your threat to 0 while the images are up, but you continue to accrue threat. Once the images die, you regain full threat plus whatever was gained during MI.
    That is exactly what it does. Awhile back it was broken to the point that when used the images themselves could actually pull aggro. Each image is suppose to cut your threat by ~33.33% (x3) for 30 secs, basically giving you a free 30 secs of free aggro. After 30 secs is up the images die and you regain your original threat + whatever threat you actually did in that 30 secs.

Essentially it is the Mage version of "Fade", but lasts longer.

It's only useless if you're not producing enough threat to pull aggro. It's also the single highest dps spell per cast time a mage has, as it has no cast time and does not trigger a global cooldown on your spells.

If you're ever worried about pulling aggro (such as doing an IV Blizzard on that extra trash pack your tank accidentally pulled), it's extremely useful.

As several people have posted, it simply makes you the lowest person on the threat list for the duration of the spell, but all threat is tracked and restored once the spell ends.

Having just finished our weekly run of Naxx 25 I can say that it is in fact working fine, If you have Omen you can watch and see that it still tracks your threat, it just goes grey, meaning you are accruing threat but the boss isn't aware of it until MI is completed. As for working right? No, mages still run off and do stupid shit, still use frostbolt for some odd reason and are squishier then a bean bag chair, but that's for another topic I suppose. They work perfectly fine on bosses with no adds, but if you pop them on Gluth, Grand Widow, 3rd phase of KT, be prepared to watch them run around and not attack what your attacking still.

just as Kiliaan wrote they can a pain because you cant control them. Furthermore to the OP - I usually pop them right at beginning as you do and then just before the 30sec finish I pop invis to reset aggro - just watch aoe dmg/DoTs etc. as if you dont have insta invis you can loose it and pull mobs on you.
    World of What?
    Never heard of...

Are you guys serious?

Since I have started playing around with it in beta it's always put your threat to 0 but any threat you accumulated in those 30 seconds would be given back to you at the end of that 30 seconds.

Now unless they've fixed this within the past month then I don't know, because now when I use MI I always make sure there is no way I can generate enough threat in that 30 seconds to pass the tank, and because of that I haven't really paid much attention to it.

And also it's not when the images die that you regain the threat, it's always 30 seconds after even if your MI's die in the first 5 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by kiliaan
    Having just finished our weekly run of Naxx 25 I can say that it is in fact working fine, If you have Omen you can watch and see that it still tracks your threat, it just goes grey, meaning you are accruing threat but the boss isn't aware of it until MI is completed.
    Thanks, that is what I was seeing, the grey bar that kept climbing
    "Peace is a lie"

I really wish mirror images were exact replicas - but they took extra dmg. So they'd have the same hp, mana buffs etc.

This way essentially they drop just as quick as they do now - but its not stupid easy to figure out which one is the real mage.

I call them Mirror Idiots for a reason.