hi fella ret pallies,
    I am having problem killing a mage .
    Can someone provide a good strategy?

Re: How do you kill a mage ??

1) Run up to mage.
    2) Begin hitting.
    3A) Frost Nova -> Blessing of Freedom
    3B) Blink -> Repentance
    3C) Ice Block -> heal yourself and wait.
    4) Once the mage has used both Ice Block and Blink, Stun.

He is made of cloth, burst, and CC. You are made of burst damage and 12 seconds of invincibility. Find a mage friend and duel him for practice.

When i was ret, i owned mages because i loved the counters. BoF and whatnot. I am a Blood elf so Arcane Torrent comes in handy. STUN THEM A LOT and crit like crazy. When you get lose and they are like mid cast and you don't have a stun or whatnot, run behind them. If they are smart then this wont work, but if they're not....

Good luck ;D

Quote Originally Posted by b37x
    1) Run up to mage.
    2) Begin hitting.
    3A) Frost Nova -> Blessing of Freedom
    3B) Blink -> Repentance
    3C) Ice Block -> heal yourself and wait.
    4) Once the mage has used both Ice Block and Blink, Stun.

He is made of cloth, burst, and CC. You are made of burst damage and 12 seconds of invincibility. Find a mage friend and duel him for practice.
    Any smart mage would cancel ice block and counterspell your holy heal (8seconds of no spells) = Dead pally

Quote Originally Posted by Significa
    Any smart mage would cancel ice block and counterspell your holy heal (8seconds of no spells) = Dead pally
    Yea, and spellsteal BoF and trinket out of Repentance.

Edit: Haha, I just noticed the OP was in the mage forums asking about how to kill a ret pally.

Who the hell uses blessing of freedom against a mage early in the fight?

l2cleansespam

Newpally, just out of interest, did you see the topic on the mage forum?

It was made by Newmage, and called "How do you kill a paladin??"
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

15+ Year Old Account

good mages blink before u get to them
    bad mages blink after u hit them

using hand of freedom at all vs a good mage is the same as saying: here is a free win
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Nitroxide

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon

lol xD

I be mage and I lol at this xP
    Global warming in Azeroth is serious business. They have melted and seek to flood the world! The Ice Stone has melted!- Kisirani (Blizzard Epic Realm Error "Love is in the Air" Event 2009)

I face problems with mages all the time, thought I'd come with new ideas from the replies I just read.. all I noticed that people are using Blessing of Freedom instead of Hand. So yeah I'm confident about the steps..

All I can say that Mages are extremely hard 1v1 since they can be cheaper than your bubble.. specially the highly skilled Arcane Barrage spammers who just burn lots of calories and consume their braincells output in order to spam slow/arcane barrage

Thanks Blizzard

Made by myself while I'm bored..

1) Run up to mage. -- Not going to happen, he will be kiting you.
    2) Begin hitting. -- Again, not going to happen. Or if it does, Ice armor will proc and he will get away.
    3A) Frost Nova -> Blessing of Freedom -- Freedom will get stolen, then its GG.
    3B) Blink -> Repentance -- He wont blink until you HoJ him. Then he will trinket Repentance.
    3C) Ice Block -> heal yourself and wait. He won't Iceblock until you've bubbled.
    4) Once the mage has used both Ice Block and Blink, Stun. -- His Blink is on a shorter cooldown than your stun.

He is made of cloth, burst, and CC. -- And you won't lay a hand on him.

You are made of burst damage and 12 seconds of invincibility. -- He is made of better burst and 10 seconds of invincibility.
    Find a mage friend and duel him for practice. -- Find a bad one that does the things you listed.

Dont use freedom on freezes, just cleanse them. Use freedom on deep freeze.

If he is a bad mage, HoJ when he does Arcane Missile... if he is a halfway decent mage, he won't use Arcane Missile.
    Deja Moo - The feeling you've heard this bullshit before.
    It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. Then its fun and games but you can't see.

Quote Originally Posted by Numsu
    Dont use freedom on freezes, just cleanse them. Use freedom on deep freeze.
    If the Mage is Frost, you've already lost.

hey, that rhymed.

has any1 heard of resistance auras?

Quote Originally Posted by MegaPowerNinja
    1) Run up to mage. -- Not going to happen, he will be kiting you.
    2) Begin hitting. -- Again, not going to happen. Or if it does, Ice armor will proc and he will get away.
    3A) Frost Nova -> Blessing of Freedom -- Freedom will get stolen, then its GG.
    3B) Blink -> Repentance -- He wont blink until you HoJ him. Then he will trinket Repentance.
    3C) Ice Block -> heal yourself and wait. He won't Iceblock until you've bubbled.
    4) Once the mage has used both Ice Block and Blink, Stun. -- His Blink is on a shorter cooldown than your stun.

He is made of cloth, burst, and CC. -- And you won't lay a hand on him.

You are made of burst damage and 12 seconds of invincibility. -- He is made of better burst and 10 seconds of invincibility.
    Find a mage friend and duel him for practice. -- Find a bad one that does the things you listed.

1) Mages have one way to snare/root you without casting, that is the pet frost nova. Otherwise use Repentance when he is casting Frostbolt, and he will be forced to trinket it.

2) Erm, how do you think you can beat a mage without hitting him?

3A) You should cleanse the frost novas, and use Hand of Freedom to get out of Deep Freeze. It getting spellstolen is not a big deal. He will have to burn through mana and you have so many trash buffs he will most likely not get it on the first cast.

3B) Yes, he will blink hammer of justice. If you can interrupt an arcane spell he will not be able to blink for 3 seconds though.

4) If you can make him force a blink to get out of melee range, then you can stun him.

His burst as frost requires time to set up. And your invunerability is better than his. You can still attack, interrupt him from casting, move and heal yourself. He can just stand there. Also, fake heal to try and draw a counterspell. It is on a 24 minute cooldown and his only spell interrupt, so if you can manage to get it wasted on a fake cast then you can heal yourself.

If he is frost, switch to frost resistance aura.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

It was made by me Newpally, not Newmage.
    I started both topics. Assuming equal gear, I found ret pally could almost kill any class except for mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Significa
    8 seconds? really? maybe go read some mage spell tooltips. the longest silence in the game is 5 seconds, and it belongs to priests.

Quote Originally Posted by coolcatchris
    8 seconds? really? maybe go read some mage spell tooltips. the longest silence in the game is 5 seconds, and it belongs to priests.
    Retard you just epic failed

"Counterspell
    9% of base mana 30 yd range
    Instant cast 24 sec cooldown
    Counters the enemy's spellcast, preventing any spell from that school of magic from being cast for 8 sec. Generates a high amount of threat."

not sure if that includes it being improved counter spell but if not it would be 10 seconds

"Your Counterspell also silences the target for 2 sec."