Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Best dps cycle for a Shadow priest

assuming u have an insane gear and a pretty good raid setup...whats the best thing to do while dpsing a boss (disregarding moving from shit and stuff) to obtain best dps out?

and how much dps can u do on patchwerk? (please try to say ur dps if u have done the "make quick werk of him"

thanks

Re: Best dps cycle for a Shadow priest

Our SP does around 4-5k.

Touch plague mb pain flay
    something like that

Death is a dps loss.

You will get a lot of diffrent awnsers i find

VE,MB,MF,DP,SW:P

i find that the best

VT > SW:P > MB > MF > MF > you should be at 5 stacks by now, so you go ahead and refresh VT when needed and recast SW:P > MB > DP (after 5 stacks, keep DP up as much as possible)(and pray your hit cap cuz a miss on DP really sets you back)

Start with putting your dots up, then just use everything when it's off CD or needs renewing, there is no cycle. but you should only ever press Sw:P once in one fight. also, no Sw

http://www.shadowpriest.com/ there u will find everything u need to know about SP's.

Quote Originally Posted by Patthepriest
    Start with putting your dots up, then just use everything when it's off CD or needs renewing, there is no cycle. but you should only ever press Sw:P once in one fight. also, no Sw
    Depends, some people use SWP in the initial rotation, then have to recast it at 5 stacks, and SWD has it's place in moving fights. I like to use it while switching sides on Thaddius etc.

both valid points. but in a non-moving fight (i.e. patchwerk, which the OP is talking about...i think) you don't want to be wasting your time with Sw.

^^

so i guess i can see my mistake in making dps now and i think its using shadow word death?

i mean mostly i use it along side with mind blast cds but i guess its better off replacing it with mind flay perhaps?

If your Mind Blast is off cooldown and Vamp Touch is at 1-1.5s (depends on your haste) then cast Vamp Touch.
    If your Mind Blast is off cooldown and Plague is at 0s then cast Plague.

Always, always make sure you have the dots before you cast mind blast or mind flay. Never let a dot expire to cast mind blast or mind flay.

If you are stuck in a position where your dots are fine and mind blast cooldown is at <1.5s, cast SWeath. There's no point to cast mind flay for 1 second just to clip it with a mind blast.

putting SWain up before you have 5 stacks is a total loss of DPS as well. It refreshes with a full value of the original cast. So it is much better to get your max stacks, then apply it with as much burst dps buffs at the first application. Then keep it up the whole fight to get max DPS. SWD only when you cannot get a new MF in the rotation, or on fights that require movement.
    80 Paladin (x2), 80 Shaman (x3), 80 Rogue (x2), 80 Mage, 80 Death Knight, 80 Priest, 80 Warrior, 80 Hunter

SW has its place between some specific cooldowns. For example I sometimes use it after VT refresh when there is just 1.5secs left of the MB cooldown. I have low haste, so I can't always get 2 ticks of MF in there. Depending on your haste during raid situations you can either use SW or MF in gaps like that. The danger with using MF there is that if you don't clip it at the right time you will lose the second tick of MF and thus making SW superior. MF 2 ticks > SW, but MF 1 tick < SW.

As said previously in the thread you should always get those 5 stacks of SW. I can't really recommend any starting rotations, since I personally use many variations. You should check shadowpriest.com for that and other great pieces of information, it is truly a gold mine for everything related to shadow priests.

Im not the best to tell but Ive found this very useful...

MB-MF-MF(5stacks)-VT-SWP-MG-PLAGUE-MF-MF-and it goes on refreshing dots

With this cycle Ive got 3.8k on patch and about 2.8-3.0k on bossess which require moving.
    Mine gear is not uber....hope to catch that 4-5k with better gear

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...n=Darkengelion

My personal Entry setup for boss fights is as follows

VE & SW while getting set where I want to dps from, MB, MF, DP, SW:P. This allows for getting replenishment up on the raid quickly & 5 stacks for SW:P. I use SW as a filler when I have an open global where MB is on cooldown & MF would not be worth casting due to having to clip before the second tick. After that I just keep DoTs up as needed & MB on cooldown. Of course MF is used in between.

I don't usually bother with VE on fights such as patchwerk where no raid damage is being taken.

My personal best I've had on patchwerk was 4938 dps. The highest I have an actual WWS report from is 4859.

In the past few weeks on patch I've done just under 4.9k and just over 4.9k DPS. My rotation is pretty simple:
    VT > DP > SW:P > MB > MF refreshing Pain when shadow weaving is at 5 stacks and trinket is at 10, then just doing the old "Keep DoT's up, use MB when off CD and MF otherwise". Never use DP before Misery is on the boss because if it misses, its a fairly noticeable DPS lose.

Question: Does anyone know if applying SW:P for the first time is TOTALLY dependant on SP and damage at the time it is cast? i.e. if I wait to recast during a trinket proc off of dying curse or sundial or the glyph of shadow...will that make all its subsequent reapplications take the damage it would have been doing when it was initially cast?

If we have to wait till 5 stacks of weaving, then the damage for all the reapplications must be based on the initial spell. What's to say that having a bunch of trinkets proc then casting SWP wouldn't be a huge dps increase. can someone test this out maybe just by watching ticks or something. Thanks.

it depends on how long the fight lasts.

say pain ticks for 300 damage every 3 seconds. if it takes you 15 more seconds to get pain up due to waiting on certain buffs/debuffs, and your SWain ticks for 50 more damage, it will require the fight to last at least another minute for the extra damage to add up enough to be beneficial.

now, obviously the numbers are quite larger in the game, so you'd have to factor in more stuff. just remember, the longer the fight lasts, the more benefit you're going to get from waiting on all the buffs for pain.

there are currently 2 situation where reapplication makes sense. thaddius, after you've got the buff, and maly after you got a spark-buff. its not a huge dps increase though

Loatheb

DP > (VE optional, as you are approaching the boss) > VT > MB > SWD > MF > SWP