Lumidar's Opinion about Prot Pally 3.1 in PTR

all and all, half awesome and half disappointment.

the Good: (my comments are in Parentheses)
    • Blessing of Kings is now a baseline ability. Trainable at level 20. (no improved talent needed)
    • Guarded by the Light now reduces spell damage taken by 3% and gives a 50% chance to refresh the duration of your Divine Plea when you hit an enemy. (Infinite Mana regen and bonus with the new glyph which i will mention later)
    • Ardent Defender is now a 3 point talent, reducing damage taken by 10/20/30%. (2 more talent points to play with)
    • One-Handed Weapon Specialization is now a 3 point talent, increasing damage done with 1 handers by 4/7/10%. (2 more talent points to play with)
    • Blessing of Sanctuary now only grants 2% of maximum displayed mana when the target blocks, parries, or dodges a melee attack. (Now a paladin only buff aside from the 3% damage reduction to all)
    • Sacred Duty stamina increased by 2% (1% more stam per Rank for a total of 4/8% stam now)

The Same:

• All bonus damage to Shield of Righteousness, Holy Shield and Avenger's shield are due to the removing of the bonus damage from Shield of the Templar talent. damage should be equivalent although ShoR damage does seem to have been buffed more than it should have.
    • Judgements of the Just now reduces the cooldown of your Hammer of Justice by 10 sec, increases the duration of your Seal of Justice effect by 0.5 sec, in addition to its previous effect. (giving us back our 30sec stun)

The Bad:

• Shield of the Templar no longer increases the damage of your Holy Shield, Avenger's Shield and Shield of Righteousness spells. Instead it gives your Avenger's Shield a 33/66/100% chance to silence targets hit by it for 3 sec. (3 point talent only to give a silence effect to a 30sec Coodldown, and NO silence effect to ShoR like they said in a blue post)

there are also new Glyphs listed on Thottbot which are very nice that I want to talk about:

Divine Plea: (Will definitely use this)
    http://thottbot.com/test/s63223

Hammer of the Righteous: (nice, but very situational)
    http://thottbot.com/test/s63219

Hand of Salvation: (situational but could be used to counter big attacks like during Sarth +3)
    http://thottbot.com/test/s63225

NOTE: I have not posted my build on talent calculator since there is a bug in the Prot tree of the calculator giving some talents pre-requisits when it should not have any. will post my build when it's fixed.

Re: Lumidar's Opinion about Prot Pally 3.1 in PTR

Quote Originally Posted by Lumidar
    • Shield of the Templar no longer increases the damage of your Holy Shield, Avenger's Shield and Shield of Righteousness spells. Instead it gives your Avenger's Shield a 33/66/100% chance to silence targets hit by it for 3 sec. (3 point talent only to give a silence effect to a 30sec Coodldown, and NO silence effect to ShoR like they said in a blue post)
    i'd rather have silencing SHoR instead of improved hammer of justice to interrupt spells. and now if you want to interrupt spells every 20 sec, you need to take Judgements of the Just and IHoJ. Does that really necessary? I think the whole idea of adding stun improvements to Judgements of the Just is unnecessary.

• Guarded by the Light now reduces spell damage taken by 3% and gives a 50% chance to refresh the duration of your Divine Plea when you hit an enemy. (Infinite Mana regen and bonus with the new glyph which i will mention later)
    [list]

Divine Plea: (Will definitely use this)
    http://thottbot.com/test/s63223

2 Things with this. First, I'm a little bit confused by the wording. Does that mean we pop Divine Plea, then pull, and it will stay up all the time provided we are hitting something and considering that as a tank, if you are not hitting something, there is nothing to hit.

Second, with this glyph, we have more damage reduction all the time (provided you have DP up and are smacking things?)?

And finally, while I do not like the fact that they nerfed the threat of ShoR, I can understand not giving it a silence effect but giving Captain America (Avenger's Shield) one. This will allow you to pull an entire group of casters, at least far enough away from another group (though, haven't had problems with this recently) to not proximity pull. Did you actually expect ShoR to have a 3 second silence on a 6 second CD? While I would have loved it, it would've been extremely OP in pvp.

In case you havent noticed, the damage for holy shield and avenger's shield was buffed, though it didnt say by what percentage. We already generate a fucktarded amount of threat so with the exorcism buff I'm not worried in the least. Especially with some of those insane glyphs. To be honest, I'd rather have them make Blessing of Sanctuary a passive type talent for the mana regen effects, and then add the 3% damage reduce into Imp Devotion aura instead of the lame armor increase. This would make it better to have up for the rest of the raid, and we would be able to kings ourselves if we needed to. However, I can't really complain because I feel like all this stuff is a huge buff overall.

Quote Originally Posted by karthaege
    2 Things with this. First, I'm a little bit confused by the wording. Does that mean we pop Divine Plea, then pull, and it will stay up all the time provided we are hitting something and considering that as a tank, if you are not hitting something, there is nothing to hit.
    yes it seems so, pop DP, as long as you hit something, it will be refreshed to 15sec again.

P.S: ShoR is now making 130% block value + 520 dmg. old was 100% block value + 520dmg + some extra threat. So i do NOT think this is a major nerf, this may be better scaled with our gear for a better threat generation, but we will see.

yes divine plea will constantly refresh as long as you're attacking something.

xdwbx:

the damage from holy shield and avenger's shield being raised is to compensate for Shield of the Templar not giving you the bonus damage anymore.

Looks like the divine plea buff will be incredibly nice for those long boss fights with exorcism now a part in every rotation for threat reasons, and the HoR glyph looks to slightly increase aoe threat too. Some interesting changes i will be happy to ck out.

If you didnt have time to do it right the first time, where are you going to find time to do it a second?

I know that they buffed the damage but they removed the extra threat from ShoR. So basicallly, they gave us equal damage (semi-nerf to talent + damage bonus = equal damage) with less threat.

Quote Originally Posted by xdwbx
    To be honest, I'd rather have them make Blessing of Sanctuary a passive type talent for the mana regen effects, and then add the 3% damage reduce into Imp Devotion aura instead of the lame armor increase.
    I too would love this. There have been many times where I have no had another paladin and had had to choose whether I want kings or Sanc. And 97/100 times, Sanc wins out. Maybe they could make it kind of like they have done with affliction warlocks Siphon Life and just make it a single point that when something else is activated, it will pop up or something. Who knows. Overall, I'm not disappointed, I'll just miss my crit ShoR 30k threat spikes. Oh well.

Did you actually expect ShoR to have a 3 second silence on a 6 second CD? While I would have loved it, it would've been extremely OP in pvp.
    hmm, how about earth shock? too OP in PvP?

I know that they buffed the damage but they removed the extra threat from ShoR. So basicallly, they gave us equal damage (semi-nerf to talent + damage bonus = equal damage) with less threat.
    yes you are right, but my point is, the part of "causes high amount threat" does not really affect i guess. at least i tried a bit with omen with x2.8 multiplier, seems like ShoR 's multiplier is 2.9 or 3 or a flat amount of 200-300 more threat. (this calculation may be not right but at least i relieved that threat won't be nerfed that much :P)

Quote Originally Posted by Chronalis
    Ah, i hadn't noticed the *new* GbtL change. That's even better than the old one which was just Shield spells (I assume). I am a little worried about interrupts though. I'd like to see that ShoR silences for 1 second. 3 sec may be op, but we do need a more viable interrupt. I'm disappointed that ret no longer have one though.

I know we've got a 30 seconds stun-interrupt, and another 30 second daze-silence, but i still feel that's not enough. Once every 15 seconds.... i can do that now. In fact, with the exorcism glyph, i can interrupt more now, than i'll be able to in the future :\. To say that concerns me a little would be an understatement. ShoR could be an interrupt, but either way, prot does need some form of viable interrupt, and by that, i mean once every 10 seconds at the most (15 seconds to wait for an interrupt is just way too long in both PvE and PvP).
    i still vote for the stun removal of GbtL and get a spell interrupt with ShoR or an ability like warriors shield bash. I think blizzard found this solution easier to implement and it is really like a hard-given ability. i am talking about 20 sec HoJ with putting your points in 2 different talents, don't you think they have gone too easy with this?

it's 30sec HoJ if you grab both talents. nothing had changed.

it's 30sec HoJ if you grab both talents. nothing had changed.
    nope it is now 40 sec off from both talents. so it is now 20sec.

Judgements of the Just (Tier 10) now reduces the cooldown of your Hammer of Justice by 10 sec, increases the duration of your Seal of Justice effect by 0.5 sec, in addition to its previous effect.
    x2 from JotJ -20 sec and - 20 sec from imp HoJ x2 = 40 sec off = 20 sec cd HoJ

they need to change BoS to a Hand or a seperate buff because with the new DP change, kings > sanctuary unless they make it so sanc doesn't overwrite other blessings

ah yes. forgot to calculate both ranks of Judgements of the Just. so you're right it's 20sec.

well MMO is taking forever to fix the prot tree so im using WoWhead and using the lower ranks of talents for 1handed and AD.

the last 2 points will either be PoJ for the run speed or Sanctified seals for 2% more crit.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZ0eVAMuMuIIRGots0x

well MMO is taking forever to fix the prot tree so im using WoWhead and using the lower ranks of talents for 1handed and AD.

the last 2 points will either be PoJ for the run speed or Sanctified seals for 2% more crit.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZ0eVAMuMuIIRGots0x
    Erm.. you forgot our new Tier1 Talent.. Divinity.. 5pts to increase healing received by 5%.

there are no problems with people healing me right now... 5 points for only 5% is not worth me taking it.

plus i already have the 6% from imp devo