need some advice

ok i am having some issues, i re-rolled DK tank on request of my guild, however i am not getting the TPS i would like to get, i am currently unholy 2h spec, cant link armoury atm because site is down GRR... i seem to be getting between 3-5k tps depending on boss, and honestly thats bad considering our frostfire mages are pushing 5k tps themselves. can anyone who is currently producing over 5k tps+ constantly could give me some advice on how to improve, if you could link your specs & rotations i would be very greatful. Vincenor

Re: need some advice

im not a tank, but, Some questions are you in frost pressence? are you useing D&D? and Are you using Pestilence?

yea, we are very much talking single target threat here & pestilance does not help that, but i am using D&D, keeping diseases up & basically spamming bloodstrike, scourge strike & rune strike whenever its up.

Well because the amoury is down i cant see your spec but you probably have somthing in there that is lowering your threat? But in my experience i have found Unholy to be lowest producing threat spec out of all three, but it is totaly elegable for tanking. Aslong as you hold aggro it really doesnt matter TPS its inportant but :P

Unholy tanking is heavy +hit and expertise...you may just be missing and or getting dodged and parried alot on your BS and SS spams.

If your mage is pulling 5k+ tps he may want to think about speccing for threat reduction...if that still does not help...tell his ass to invis once in a while lol.

Macro Rune Strike to all your attacks and keep your diseases running while spamming SS and BS. Stay in frost pres and keep bone shield running. That should keep your single target TPS up.

AHH yes max cap your hit rating that should help you out.

I'm trying to figure out exactly HOW that mage would be pulling a reported 5k tps. Unless they're standing in melee range that's 6.5kdps sustained, which is... wow. You sure about that number?

I'm going to assume that you don't need the standard "lolnoob" advice.

I'm pulling 7-8.5ktps at present but I'm not sure how helpful the advice would be. I'm deep frost. My gear, glyphs, and spec are built around a simple and frankly kind of system-abusing tactic: I have extremely high avoidance and my OT is a paladin giving me BoSanc. This means it is almost impossible for me to spend rune power as fast as I generate it, so.... a Haste elixer, fast 1-handers, and I'm throwing Rune Strikes every 0.8 seconds. I just don't run out of RP. I've got RS bound to "V" and I'm literally keeping time with my thumb, tapping other abilities (all also macro'd with RS in case I miss a beat) with fingers, and I wind up hovering around 20-30 RP.
    Build:
    http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=jbEZGxet0e0ohoVscx0x
    Rotations are tricky to show. K, these next two lines are happening simultaneously:
    IT>---IT>---BT>---HB>---PS>---BS>---BS>---
    no rp till..now*rs*rs*rs*rs*rs*rs*rs*rs*rs*rs*rs*rs*---
    This is what happens when the tanks get bored ;-)

This isn't all that helpful because A) Everything that makes it work is getting removed in 3.1, and B) It might involve substantial regearing.

If you're bottoming out at 3k TPS something is wrong. Hard to say with Armory down, but I'd put my first guess on gear. One round of IT>PS>SS>DC>BS>BS>BT>DC>SS should give you a whopping lead to start out.
    Wow Forum accomplishment: autobanned for using the following phrase:
    My therapist notes my intrapersonal skills suffer from love of the grape.

ty for the help so far, will try the 2h spec see if that works, but we dont normally have a protadin what glyphs are you using with it?

armoury is back up now http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...row&n=Vincenor is my build. anyone that is using a 2 handed build and currently pulling over 5k+ tps?

A 2h build should technically be able to pull just as good if not better TPS than DW just because of hit differential. I like doing my tank variation of a IT/FS spam knight. I got all the tank talents, but also made sure I death rune mastery and BotN so on certain rotations (for single target TPS of course) I can dump 5-6 IT's and 3-4 FS's (depending on rune strikes).

If you are dropping DnD then that's good, if you keep UB up then that's good, if you glyph SS then that could help, and just make sure you never sit on RP (or try to never sit on too much RP).

Jezz a mage with 5k TPS i just read that. Anyone that pulls that much is like Jezz slow down.
    He probably didnt play Pre BC. You would be black listed for that one :P

what major glyphs should i be using for max threat as 2h unholy? should i keep glyph of D&D? and get glyph of icy touch for the extra RP? what about glyph on rune strike?

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo
    what major glyphs should i be using for max threat as 2h unholy? should i keep glyph of D&D? and get glyph of icy touch for the extra RP? what about glyph on rune strike?
    For threat I would keep DnD because that is amazing for unholy. Look at glyph of SS, I know it doesn't add to damage SS does but being able to have it refresh diseases is nice. Outside of that... well I'm out of my element because I don't know unholy as well. I primarily switch between frost and blood.

its kinda starting to sawn on me a possibility why threat is kinda low, i think i have gimped myself too much on avoidance and therefore am not getting the ability to use runestrike as much as i should be able to, so if i increace my avoidance & keep enough RP to basically spam RS in between my other abilitys this should increace my threat a lot?

QQhunter im gonna post on my knowlage about tanking. You will need 540 Defence before you go to some heroic azjul nerob being one his smash move kills you unless you have 540 defence. So 24k HP is the unbuffed requirment for Off tank for raiding, for myguild. your Dodge and parry chance is pretty good for tanking. Just make sure you cap your defence cause no one will want a DK tank without 540.

Rizzo dont worry about bringing down Aviodence for threat. As long as you have all targets agroed Who cares?. if the mage pulls off you tell him wtf is he doing because they shouldnt be generating that much tps. I generate like 1k i think as a DPS Dk

Your mage is just not spec'd for threat reduction...there's just no other way around it.

Arcane Subtlety in Arcane Tree = 40% reduction to Arcane spells.
    Burning Soul in Fire Tree= 10% reduction on Fire Spells.
    Frost Channeling in Frost Tree= 10% reduction on Frost Spells.

He should have one of them...

Beyond that all he would have to do is dps his face off till he catches up to you...pop invis...wait the 3 seconds...then go all out nuts from 0 threat. Chances are pretty high he would not catch you again.

Beyond all of that...was this against Loatheb...and you got the spore buff but the mage did not? lol it could happen I guess but you aer probably talking about in general.

5k TpS as non-arcane mage... what's wrong with him doing 5.5k+ DpS?
    You do realise that most casters only get 10% threat reduction, right?

Yell at your paladins to salv the top dps and let your def warr put vigilance on them.

And to the dps themselves, if they can't get their own threat reduce in line, they are not worth to mention anyway.

4-5k TpS as tank in late Naxx content should be normal. And with DpS aiming at 5-7k DpS it should be nowhere near any problem to sustain aggro.

yea the mages in question are capible of doing 6k dps on bosses such as patchwerk and others where you dont need to move much, however a sustained 4-5k tps is not enough to keep ahead of them.

well i have changed my spec around a bit but i am still feeling like there is a brick wall in my way, can some DK tank who knows they currently produce 6k+ tps on bossfights please post their spec and rotation so i can have a look and see if it help me, ty.