Trash tanking as bear

I have a newly 80 feral druid alt, and I find myself having trouble holding instance trash when there are more than 3 mobs at a time(3 gives me some trouble sometimes, too). I'm looking for some tips on how to keep those mobs stuck on me and not on the rest of my group.

Re: Trash tanking as bear

Quote Originally Posted by Hollaback
    I have a newly 80 feral druid alt, and I find myself having trouble holding instance trash when there are more than 3 mobs at a time(3 gives me some trouble sometimes, too). I'm looking for some tips on how to keep those mobs stuck on me and not on the rest of my group.
    just spam swipe and maul...make sure you have the 30% dmg in talents...and buy glyph of maul (hitting 2 targets) once in a while just change targets....thats my way

Yeah thats really all there is too it... Swipe + Maul every cooldown... if thats still not working and you are sure you are hitting everyone then you should work on your hit and expertise... cause if you are not hitting then you are not gaining aggro.

Small tip. Its obvious to most but can be easily overlooked by people just learning to tank.
    Swipe only hits a cone in front of you. Larger groups of mobs tend to spread more around you. I like to very slowly back up, strafe around to keep everything in that frontal cone.
    Just make sure you don't move so much that you pull the mobs out of the AoE that your DPS'ers are dumping on them.

Also, bring smart dps with you.(not always easy) Especially when your holding a number of mobs that need to be aoe'd they need to give you time to grab aggro. If your unsure of a pull and how long it will take you to grab aggro, tell your group that, its not like you'll die from having 2 or 3 seconds to grab aggro while the dps hold. If you ff to pull, u can always demo roar to gain slight aggro when in range and then start your swipe maul spam.

Quote Originally Posted by vayron
    Small tip. Its obvious to most but can be easily overlooked by people just learning to tank.
    Swipe only hits a cone in front of you. Larger groups of mobs tend to spread more around you. I like to very slowly back up, strafe around to keep everything in that frontal cone.
    Just make sure you don't move so much that you pull the mobs out of the AoE that your DPS'ers are dumping on them.

True but swipe also chains so you may be hitting more than you think.

3 mobs:

Mob 1 - Gets a FF, initial pull
    Mob 2 - Gets a taunt
    Mob 3 - Gets the first dmg'ing attack, maul or mangle

Then demo rawr, swipe, maul, TAB, swipe, maul, TAB, swipe, maul, etc......(insert extra swipes when possible)

When 3+, then I make sure I get at least the melee's attention, then a nice feral charge to the ranged/casters, melee will follow. All the moving hinders the AoE and thats just what I want, they gotta wait till I got aggro.

Same rotation as above.

I generally don't use mangle or lacerate on trash/group pulls.

The main problem is getting initial aggro. Once they are on you they will stay on you.

Hurricane

Quote Originally Posted by Lilkirby
    Hurricane
    Bah boring, chain pulling is fun did 14 minute utgarde keep run few minutes ago without switching out of bear