Raiding on the PTR for Dummies

So, after attempting to do heroic Iron Council with my guild today, I've concluded that very few people know how to raid on the PTR. So, for your benefit, here is a step-by-step guide.

Step 1. Form the raids two to three hours before the encounter is scheduled to open. Everyone will be able to log on, prepare, and get to Ulduar without massive lag or a huge number of crashes (probably).

Step 2. Form two 10-man raids and one 5 man group. Make the raids split between zoning into Halls of Stone and Halls of Lightning; you can safely see when Ulduar opens from here, and don't have to worry about the ten billion people hovering outside Ulduar or the nasty world server crashes.

Step 3. Wait until you get the message that Ulduar is opened. Do not log off during this time; if you crash or get disconnected, log back on ASAP. If you need to restart WoW for some reason, use alt+F4 and be fast to avoid the queue.

Step 4a. As soon as the message that Ulduar is open is received, leave Halls of Stone/Halls of Lightning and rush for the instance. It may take several tries to reach it. There will be massive lag as soon as you zone out; mount up (do not move until you gain your mount buff) and fly directly into Ulduar. Just keep going past the stairs until you zone in. You may experience world server crashes during this time; spam the log in button as much as possible, as you can get a few lag-free seconds to mount up if you're one of the first back onto the server. If you experience a critical error, you may be screwed, but keep trying.

(or) Step 4b. Send one Warlock and two other members into Ulduar while the rest of the raid stays in their respective instances. The people chosen to go with the Warlock should be the ones with the best computers. Once they successfully enter Ulduar, people in the other raids need to leave their groups one by one for summons, so as not to let anyone get teleported back to Dalaran (which will most likely be fatal).

(optional) Step 5. If you enter Ulduar and are floating in mid air, hit alt+F4 and log back in. It may take multiple tries for it to work, but you'll eventually be standing on the entrance steps.

Re: Raiding on the PTR for Dummies

I'm glad I'm not on the PTR.