Nub Pally question halps please

I will start by saying i have only played wow a lil over 2 years. The majority of that time i was main healer for my guild (old guild not current ) For a change i decided to lvl my pally and try tanking for a n00b i do pretty well as i am not exceptionally geared...yet :-*. My question is this i notice in alot of pally sigs that people are really over capped in def etc. I was told this is not a good thing something along the line i will get less from the stat the more i over cap it. Seeing the sigs on this site made me wonder was i told wrong and wonder what the benifit is to having over capped def dodge/parry ETC. Or even is there is such a thing :P

Thanks in advance for your feed back!
    <3
    Make the most of your self, for that's all there is of you.

Re: Nub Pally question halps please

There is no cap per say... You need to be 540 to be uncrittable, and having more than 540 isnt bad as it gives avoidance in all stats... In BC, the avoidance gained from defense was awful, in wrath its a lot better. Dont be afraid to go over in defense at all, but don't socket or enchant for it when you dont have to

Thanks! i was just reading the post about trinkets and noticed someone said avoidence cap is 102% Which if true means 2 things 1. I have a ways to go yet and 2. i was told wrong from the get go :

if you have examiner or something or another /inspect addon then keep in mind that those values of defense rating are raw defense rating, because for example + 10 def rating when you are at 530 defense rating (in your C-screen) wont bring you 10 540, people while probably have 691+ defense rating on their gear, this is the number that those gearcheck addons display.

Tigluena, you might be closer than you think. Make sure you have Holy Shield up when you calculate your block %.

Yep, the block cap(formerly uncrushable) is 102.4% combined avoidance, but that includes miss(you should have ~10%), parry, dodge, and block with holy shield up, which you should have at least around 45% chance to block with holy shield up.

Adding onto what Ashmadai said,

102.4% combined avoidance is something that paladins refer to as "Block Capped". After you reach 102.4 combined avoidance, any block rating would be a wasted stat as Block completely pushes Hit off of the table. Meaning that any unavoided attack from the Boss will be a block. Paladins are the only class that can reach this "block cap" now that we can keep Holy shield up 100% of the time. It's very beneficial to be block capped because any unavoided hit will be reduced by the amount of block value that you have.

Again Thanks everyone for the very helpful feedback <3