Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst

Re: Unholy DK Raid/Gruop dps spec. Patch 3.1

Quote Originally Posted by Arunaran
    I think that's an old talent calculator you're using there. NotD is in the wrong spot. But basically, you are using Dark Conviction, and not using Reaping or Blood Caked Blades. Both are much more beneficial to dps than Dark Conviction. DC is a very lackluster talent for Unholy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshifter
    So that leaves us with the lowered cooldown on Death and Decay, which is rather lackluster in Ulduar, where the use of Death and Decay seems to be diminishing in scope somewhat.
    What...the...hell?

To quote blizzard, current UH DK AoE damage is OP. Reasons specified are DnD, UB and wandering plague.

And good AoE is necessary/beneficial for DPS in about 2/3 of boss fights in Ulduar (Razorscale P1, XT002 scrap bots, Kologarn arms and ads, Auriaya P1, Hodir flash freeze, Thorim P1, Freya P1, YS).

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_
    What...the...hell?

To quote blizzard, current UH DK AoE damage is OP. Reasons specified are DnD, UB and wandering plague.

And good AoE is necessary/beneficial for DPS in about 2/3 of boss fights in Ulduar (Razorscale P1, XT002 scrap bots, Kologarn arms and ads, Auriaya P1, Hodir flash freeze, Thorim P1, Freya P1, YS).
    Well I never said good AoE isn't necessary or beneficial. I said that the value of the lowered cooldown on DnD from Morbidity is diminished somewhat. Trash dies fast enough that I almost never am able to get more than one off on a particular pull anyways, and it's ready for the next pull. I am only in the first stages of Ulduar, I'll admit, but that has been my experience so far, and seems to be similar to the thinking over at EJ on the Unholy thread as well. Sporting the increasingly popular 0/10/61 build, I find that throwing it down while running in after the tank tends to pull aggro on mobs on an AoE pull, forcing you to stagger it into the end of your opening rotation a lot of the time. Which also means that it's less likely to be up more than once during a pull. I haven't found it to be nearly as useful as in Naxx, where I could continually DnD over and over again during the normal course of a trash pull, until more recently where, again, pulls die fast enough that I'm better off saving the 2nd application for the next pull.

I never said DnD isn't a good spell. Even if you don't take the cooldown reduction, it still does the same damage, you just can't use it more than every 30 secs- which is the real question- It's just becoming harder to "want" to use it more than every 30 secs or so. All 3 points on Morbidity? There's no need to have the cooldown lower than 20 secs- the rotation necessary to use DnD every 15 secs is pretty convoluted, and not worth it. Spending two points to bring it to 20 secs is a good option if you want the cooldown reduction (I frankly never wanted to give it up, but lately it's just not seeming to be worth it).

In the end I believe it's personal preference/how good is your MT. If you can get away with using it that often, then it most assuredly is a dps increase on an aoe pack. If you can't get away with cycling it every 20 seconds, or the encounters don't last long enough for you to get 2 full dnd's in(or at least a fair bit of ticks off on your second one), then it's a waste of talent points, as the single target component (the part that affects DC) is very lackluster.