Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Hit cap for Shadowpriest

Hello all

What is the hitcap of a shadowpriest?? beacause we have 100% of the time our Misery up; 3% more hit
    so what hitcap do we need?

oh and btw I'm also a Draenei, that means I have always have 4% hit on the target: so what hitcap does a normal Spriest need and what hitcap does a Draenei Spriest need??
    Duel me if u dare! I think your chicken, /duel
    http://snoekje. mybrute. com

Re: Hit cap for Shadowpriest

290 for non drae
    264 for drae

as a squid, you want to aim for around 10% hit from gear. 6% will come from your talents and 1% comes from your aura. 17% means your dots never miss.

250-260 is around the range. the key is when you mouse over it, it shows 10%

The above information is correct. For PVP though you only need a maximum of 4% spell hit which seems to be covered by your talents and aura. This is of course if you are PVPing @ 80 VS 80's.

EX - <PIE CHART> US TOP 10 Check 'em out http://piechart-guild.com/

False pvp information. By default, you need 4% hit rating to hit the target of your level every time. However, there's a number of racials and talents that reduces that chance. For example, blood elves have the racial that gives them 2% spell hit resistance. So in order to hit the blood elf every time, you need a minimum of 6% spell hit. There's also spell resistance involved (shadow protection etc). I don't know the exact number, but I vaguely remember someone mentioning a number of 10% spell hit in order to hit with everything every time in PvP.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by syanid
    False pvp information. By default, you need 4% hit rating to hit the target of your level every time. However, there's a number of racials and talents that reduces that chance. For example, blood elves have the racial that gives them 2% spell hit resistance. So in order to hit the blood elf every time, you need a minimum of 6% spell hit. There's also spell resistance involved (shadow protection etc). I don't know the exact number, but I vaguely remember someone mentioning a number of 10% spell hit in order to hit with everything every time in PvP.
    AFAIK at least the racial -hit stuff is going to be changed back to resistance in 3.1
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud
    AFAIK at least the racial -hit stuff is going to be changed back to resistance in 3.1
    Do you have a source on this? I thought it was changed from resistance to % because it didn't scale at all.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Xnzz
    290 for non drae
    264 for drae
    Close enough..

289/263

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon
    Do you have a source on this? I thought it was changed from resistance to % because it didn't scale at all.
    Hmm I can't find it anywhere here on the news or bluetracker... but I vaguely remember reading something about those racials being changed again, but I could have imagined it in a state of highness sometime...

Maybe it was my imagination after all?
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Hit rating will not overcome Shadow Resistance, that's what Spell Penetration is for.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

I wouldn't call my information false, just not 100% complete, thank you very much. Most people (from what I've seen, if you have a thread with people talking about how it's practical to go over the cap, hit me up!) don't waste stat points on over hit % to make up for situational things other classes may or may not have. But I hear what you're saying.

Talking about false info though...

Hit rating will not overcome Shadow Resistance, that's what Spell Penetration is for.
    I'm pretty sure AetherMcLoud is correct with his...correction. I may be wrong though!...I'm very humble!

That should be right, Hit is to avoid Misses, and Penetration is to get through Resistance.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Whister
    Hello all

What is the hitcap of a shadowpriest?? beacause we have 100% of the time our Misery up; 3% more hit
    so what hitcap do we need?

oh and btw I'm also a Draenei, that means I have always have 4% hit on the target: so what hitcap does a normal Spriest need and what hitcap does a Draenei Spriest need??
    1) Go to Shadowpriest.com
    2) Go to Forums
    3) Go to Gear Discussion
    4) Go to WotLK Best Raid Gear

There you can find all the needed information a raiding shadow priest needs to know. From Hit Cap, the amount of +hit you need remove talent points that add +hit, the correct gems and enchants that maximize dps, and a beautiful chart of the top 15-20 items per slot that a shadow priest should follow as a upgrade schedule. Just copy and paste that list to Excel and use it whenever you raid or do heroics. That way you can truly see what gear you have now, and what gear you should be looking for to upgrade.
    Find the gear that has the highest overall dps when you add the +hit stats. Example:

#3 Leggings of the Wanton Spellcaster – Malygos (Eye of Eternity 25)
    186.28(278.12) = 132+92*0.19+66*0.56+82*1.12

vs

#1 Leggings of Mortal Arrogance – Kel'Thuzad (Naxx 25) + 2Runed Scarlet Ruby
    219.17 = 115+57*0.61+85*0.19+71*0.21+2*19

They bolded numbers indicate the overall dps of the item. Legs of the Wanton Spellcaster are ranked #3 while the Legs of Mortal Arrogance are ranked #1 on their base dps. BUT, if you are not hit capped, the Wanton Spellcaster legs have the higher overall dps. Therefore, you should check the sheet to find the highest dps items when not hit capped (dps highlighted in orange) and use those items to reach your hit cap, THEN go for the best in slot items for your other gear. That way, you get the highest possible dps. (Each category also shows which gems and enchants to use)

Shadow Priests are lucky in that there is really on 1 accepted spec for maximum dps in PvE, all top end Spriests spec the exact same.
    (See below)

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=bVcbzhZZG0fVRfzfiqfzAo

Hope this helps all shadow priests reach their maximum potential....which is out dps'ing the thrice damned Hunters.

Good luck and happy face melting.

Zerath of Nazgrel
    The Prophecy

You can't make up for -hit talents when i pvp on mage I still see misses against specs that have those talents with 17% hit.

Quote Originally Posted by mennoknight
    as a squid, you want to aim for around 10% hit from gear. 6% will come from your talents and 1% comes from your aura. 17% means your dots never miss.

250-260 is around the range. the key is when you mouse over it, it shows 10%
    Isn't the hit cap 95%? So how can you say "never" miss? >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Myzou
    Isn't the hit cap 95%? So how can you say "never" miss? >_>
    No they changed it so you can reach 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic
    You can't make up for -hit talents when i pvp on mage I still see misses against specs that have those talents with 17% hit.
    I'm pretty sure you can. I just don't think people really do it often as you sacrifice other stats to do so.

Some quotes from wowwiki spell hit article (of course it's a wiki so it could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that article is correct)

On chance to hit being able to reach 100%
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    With patch 3.0.2, spell hit is capped at 100%; with enough spell hit, it is possible to reach a state where it is impossible for your spells to miss.
    On hit percentage over 4% helping against talents and abilities that reduce hit
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For PvP, anything more than +4% chance to hit is typically excessive. Note that some classes (for example Paladins and Rogues) can spec to gain extra chance to have spells miss them. Also, some abilities (e.g. - Cloak of Shadows, and spell resistance for binary spells) give the player using the ability extra chance to have spells miss as well. Extra spell hit does in fact mitigate this extra chance to miss, but is otherwise useless.
    Hope this helps, if anything is incorrect please let me know!

It's all correct. And it's well documentation on wowwiki, elitist jerks, and Blizzard even confirmed it themselves (in regards to the PvE and PvP hit requirements).

Hey, Nezoia(or anyone else really lol)! What about people PVPing with more than 4% hit? Is that done often? I rarely hear people say that it's practical but I'm sure there are people that do it. Do you personally consider it a valid way to gear for PVP? Thanks in advance for your input!

The four percentage is to mitigate base resist chance at a enemy targets.

Now think dispelling. Most classes got 3% dispel resistance, making your efficient needed hit 7% all suddenly.

But with the current itemization, it's very rare to see people get that much hit.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    Now think dispelling. Most classes got 3% dispel resistance, making your efficient needed hit 7% all suddenly.
    Huh? You mean the 30% dispell resistance? I don't think any stat is going to help you lower that. Well maybe spell penetration, but definately not hit.