15+ Year Old Account

New to the Healer game Need help

Ok i just recently leveled my priest to 76 and I'm am still rather new to the Heal business.. I have tried holy, tried Disc. Love disc. Up until Outlands healing was an easy spam flash, Outlands got a little more in depth adding in renew and penance. Once i got to Northrend healing starts to take a little more like shield, mend, and keeping the tank closer to 99% health. I hardly ever go oom as it is but with nearing 80, Heroics, Arena, Raid, and the regen nerf coming in 3.1. I just have a three questions i would like to take care of. First, What is cast dancing? Second, What is the 5second rule? And third, what else to i need to know as Disc healer for primarily Heroics and Raid. Also any other comments, suggestions, hints, or tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You

Re: New to the Healer game Need help

the "keeping the tank topped" is mostly about new tanks with little to no defence
    taking incredible amounts of spike dmg is why my shaman went enhance so fast >.>
    PlayStation suporter.
    fb_Scud / RPG-HAD

im not quite sure what you mean by cast dancing but you could be reffering to cast a large heal like greater heal and if tank didn't take anny dmg you just move to stop casting and save mana. Then you can begin to cast again and if he is hit then you can just let the heal land.

5second rule is mana regen. You got mana regen while casting and mana regen while not casting. When you cast a spell and finish it you will go to mana regen while casting. It will take 5 seconds to go back to while not casting.

As disc priest you shouldn't worry about meters like how much you healed. Because Disc priest heal less than other healers. That doesn't mean they are worse it's rather the oposite, because disc priest is about absorbing dmg and reducing dmg. when you are a flat out healer you only got the tanks hp pool to go on. As Disc you can exstend the tanks hp pool by placing shields.

You shouldn't worry to much about mana in 3.1 because disc priest doesn't need so much spirit and its only spirit thats getting a nerf
    Behind every great man there is a surprised lady.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Hallex
    You shouldn't worry to much about mana in 3.1 because disc priest doesn't need so much spirit and its only spirit thats getting a nerf
    Um, Rapture, what gives Disc priests on live basically limitless mana, is getting nerfed TO THE GROUND.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

Rapture doesn't give mana back form actual heals anymore indeed, instead it gives 2.5% mana about every 15 seconds, if you shield smartly.

Next, rapture is implemented in most spells that the disc priest uses: PW:Shield 30% cost reduction, Fheal 15% cost reduction.

Only Penance gets a nerf because it won't be "free" anymore. The CD can be lowered to 6 seconds now though.

I believe there is the total balance and Gheal has been completely removed from the disc priest's actionbars now Divine Aegis stacks.

With 50% mana regen and replenishment, you will have a hard time getting OOM, but you can't just mindlessly spamheal.

Quote Originally Posted by Nesco
    Rapture doesn't give mana back form actual heals anymore indeed, instead it gives 2.5% mana about every 15 seconds, if you shield smartly.

Next, rapture is implemented in most spells that the disc priest uses: PW:Shield 30% cost reduction, Fheal 15% cost reduction.

Only Penance gets a nerf because it won't be "free" anymore. The CD can be lowered to 6 seconds now though.

I believe there is the total balance and Gheal has been completely removed from the disc priest's actionbars now Divine Aegis stacks.

With 50% mana regen and replenishment, you will have a hard time getting OOM, but you can't just mindlessly spamheal.
    I liked being the only healer who didn't need Replenishment, because I can guarantee you one thing:

In some fights, there will be multiple tanks. In these multi-tank fights, at least one of them will have to be by himself off in a corner, and chances are it's going to be me healing him, where I don't get all the group buffs etc.

We gained more mana from Rapture than we did from Replenishment, and now if I'm all by my lonesome, I don't have anything to stand on.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Fryr
    Ok i just recently leveled my priest to 76 and I'm am still rather new to the Heal business.. I have tried holy, tried Disc. Love disc. Up until Outlands healing was an easy spam flash, Outlands got a little more in depth adding in renew and penance. Once i got to Northrend healing starts to take a little more like shield, mend, and keeping the tank closer to 99% health. I hardly ever go oom as it is but with nearing 80, Heroics, Arena, Raid, and the regen nerf coming in 3.1. I just have a three questions i would like to take care of. First, What is cast dancing? Second, What is the 5second rule? And third, what else to i need to know as Disc healer for primarily Heroics and Raid. Also any other comments, suggestions, hints, or tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You
    A few things to remember as Disc:

1.Keep PW:Shield up at all time.
    2.Power Infusion should never be up for too long. Use it! Whether you cast it on yourself or on a caster dps, use it!
    3.Penance, in his current state, is basicly a free cast, making it one of the most powerful healing spell in-game. Use it as much as possible.
    4.Glyph accordingly: Glyph of Flash Heal and PW:Shield are no brainers. Make a personal choice on the third one.
    5.Intellect is the stat to go, followed closely by SP and Crit.
    6.If you still have Gheal on ur actionbar, get rid of it.

It's already been mentioned but I just want to emphasize it - don't look at healing meters to measure your effectiveness as Disc.

Holy priests will look at total healing minus overhealing, but Disc is more complicated cuz it's more about damage prevention (which isn't trackable as far as I know).

So if some moron gives you hard time about not healing enough b/c his meter says so, just ignore it. Your job isn't to heal the most possible, it's to ensure the survivability of the group.

Also, you may want to try Holy once you're 80 (but not before b/c lvling is ungodly horrible). I've enjoyed Disc healing a lot, but there's something really satisfying about dropping 15k+ greater heal crits. Good to have experience as both Disc and Holy.

I'm full time Shadow, but as raiding/heroic drudgery have begun to set in, and I hate leveling alts alone, I've found myself respec'ing Disc a couple times. I've kinda got a hold on it, but figured I'd read this to see if I was doing any basics wrong.

Seems I have the right of most of it... except I use GHeal. A lot. I have what tanks have referred to as a "scary" method of healing, in that I let them drop to 50ish percent, toss up a shield, then GHeal. Usually crits (tend to have 30% holy crit unbuffed, plus some extra chance from them having Weakened Soul), and they get a good 13k health back, plus a big ol' Aegis. But several in this thread have said not to GHeal. Any reason why? I never have mana issues, so mana efficiency hardly seems a good reason.

I would guess, as I've never played disc. That the reason to avoid GH, is that it's slow, and with the bonuses to Flash heal and your shields. You should not have to rely on it. Also, waiting for tanks to get to around 50% before starting a heal, is asking for trouble in raids There will be encounters where you want to start healing the tank or shield the tank before they even take the hit (for holy priests and quick disc priests, stop cast is a great thing to bind to your keyboard).

Sarth 3D is a great example of a fight where you want the tank health capped at all times.
    Science started out as a form of Magic.
    When Science is advanced enough Magic is dispelled.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from Magic.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...istract/simple

Clearly its not a good idea in higher end raiding. The most I've done as Disc is healing Naxx 10 and Heroics. No big deal there, and when the tank started taking real damage, I would shield him around 80% and wind up GHeal, knowing he was gonna be lower by the time it went off. If it didn't crit, Penance to high health and GHeal again. Repeat as necessary for fat crit and big shield. =p

Gh is a good spell, and as holy I use it a lot. There are many times though where it is not fast enough and you know the tank is going to die if you try to finish the spell. Times like this I wish I had the improved shields of Disc. Best I can do is stopcast, shield, POM if I think the tank can take another hit. Or GS if I think he wont Many times I'll waste GS just in case Soo looking forward to the glyph in 3.1
    Science started out as a form of Magic.
    When Science is advanced enough Magic is dispelled.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from Magic.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...istract/simple