Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ulduar PTR Testing, Arena Tournament, Blue posts

[EU PTRs] Auriaya testing cancelled
    European players were supposed to test Auriaya in Ulduar tonight but it looks like Blizzard ... wasn't prepared.

[US PTRs] Mimiron testing postponed
    According to the schedule, Mimiron testing was postponed to Friday Night, March 13, starting at 7pm EDT/4pm PDT.

Blessing of Wisdom & Mana Spring Totem change
    [blizzquote="Eyonix;http://blue.mmo-champion.com/1/15659707835-blessing-of-wisdom-and-mana-spring-totem-chan.html]We are making a change to these spells so that their benefits are exclusive in patch 3.1.0. The buffs will be equivalent, but will no longer stack. Mana Spring will affect the entire raid instead of just the shaman’s party. We felt that both paladins and shamans brought too many unique buffs to a group. Additionally, we have been trying to tone down mana regeneration in large groups, and were concerned raids would feel the need to stack paladins or especially shaman to have enough Mana Spring totems. We have also been trying to get more benefits out of the party and into the raid, and Mana Spring previously was still a party only buff. With this change, if there is only one paladin, he or she can bring Blessing of Kings while the shaman offers Mana Spring. If there are two paladins and the second offers Blessing of Wisdom, then the shaman can offer healing or cleansing with their water totem instead. [/blizzquote"]

2009 Arena Tournament Phase 2 Has Begun
    [blizzquote="Aratil;http://blue.mmo-champion.com/17/15668067599-2009-arena-tournament-phase-2-has-begun.html]Phase 2 of the 2009 World of Warcraft Arena Tournament has begun. Tournament participants have had ample time during the practice phase to hone their strategies, try various team compositions, and get familiar with playing with their team. It’s now time to play for keeps. To track the progress of your team and competition, please visit the World of Warcraft Armory at [url=http://www.wowarmory.com/][color=orange]http://www.wowarmory.com/[/color][/url] and select the Coliseum 1 battlegroup. Top teams will earn a chance to participate in live events, including the global finals being held at the recently announced BlizzCon. If you have not yet registered for the tournament, you can still do so until March, 24 when Phase 3 begins. For more information on the tournament please visit our Arena Tournament information page at [url=http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/pvp/tournament/index.xml][color=orange]http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/pvp/tournament/index.xml[/color][/url] . Good luck and may the best teams be left standing. [/blizzquote"]

Blue posts
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    All player or pet-generated taunts now have a shared diminish category
    This was an Ulduar issue. Previously, many bosses were taunt immune and taunt had a short range. With both of those changes, it was possible to ping pong bosses between multiple tanks in order to avoid anyone taking much damage. This goes beyond clever use of an ability by players (and isn't *that* clever since it has been around forever) and into an exploit that trivializes encounters. With this change, you should be able to taunt when you need to but not keep the boss confused and ineffective.

The diminishing returns do not actually work on the current PTR build despite the patch notes, but will be implemented soon.

[...] I'm not sure this will have major implications on threat management on "normal" boss attempts. This change was really put in just to prevent a situation where tanks would not take damage because the boss could never reach them before being taunted away. We aren't changing our design of letting most mobs be tauntable.

It shouldn't affect the Razuvious fight. The diminishing returns only lasts 15 seconds (not the whole fight) and that encounter is timed more for 30 second taunts. Secondly, we can just make the Understudy taunts not diminish. (Source)

Patching World of Warcraft
    We would patch much more often if that was feasible. It's not, at least at the moment. WoW is a big chunk of software and making a patch involves just a hideous number of people. The consequences for making sloppy changes is severe, and I am talking much worse than your class feeling weak. I mean things like servers crashing or thousands of in-game tickets.

But it drives me nuts when there are bugs in the game that are easy to fix (not all of them are), or balance problems we think would be easy to address (again, not all of them are). I think most designers would love to see any fixes they make go through in real time (with appropriate testing of course). We are improving our process though. We are able to hotfix more issues and get smaller patches turned around faster (like 3.09, the small patch that you have now). (Source)

Death Knight (Skills List / Talent + Glyph Calc.)
    DK Threat and Tanking
    We need to do some more testing on DK threat, and additional feedback in that dept. is useful.

It gets tricky for a number of reasons. Some DKs go for some kind of health or mitigation buff in every possible way and then are surprised their threat is low. Threat is something you are supposed to care about as a tank, and gear accordingly. The question is whether DKs who sacrifice a little bit of mitigation (in the broad sense -- I don't strictly mean armor) for dps then fail at tanking encounters. We don't know that yet because the DK tanking nerfs just hit (and Blade Barrier was broken).

Some DKs blow IBF and Rune Strike every time they can, and then wonder where their runic power went. I don't know that just losing 10% avoidance from Blade Barrier makes the difference between getting Rune Strike procs or not. Again, some DKs use the defense runeforge enchant instead of the avoidance one because of their gear choices (or luck therein) elsewhere.

We need to see the effects of losing Bo Sanc on all the tanks. Some never had it before, so all and all, that change is beneficial for the game. (Source)

[...] Death and Decay works fine for group AE. It's not designed to be a great single target threat spell.

Rune Strike isn't the most exciting ability in the world, but it does the job, which is giving DKs a high threat move that doesn't use a global and can't generally be used for dps. Creating a new high threat ability, which is something we might eventually do, is complicated because we would not want it to be used for dps and we would not want it to compete with all the other rune and runic power abilities.

We can understand why you might Rune Strike less with these changes. What you haven't convinced us of is that DKs are doomed if they Rune Strike less. Are dps classes pulling off of you today on live? What is your highest possible threat per second? What will it be after these changes? (I saw one estimate of 5% less threat.) Would it be higher if you made some gear changes? Will you die too ofter with those gear changes? I'm trying to get players to just stop saying "If I Rune Strike less, nobody will let me tank."

Scent for Blood is a reasonable talent for us to look at in order to provide a little more rp per sec to the tanking DK. (Source)

Avoidance nerf effects for blue-geared DKs
    You might not be able to step into Ulduar in blue gear, but you don't need crazy high avoidance numbers for most content in the game including Naxxramas. The intent of Rune Strike isn't that every hit becomes one. This is more true of Heroic Strike for warriors, but even then it's only in high rage situations.

One mistake that new tanks tend to make is to go overboard on defensive stats and ignore threat generation. For example, I know some older warrior guides would sometimes suggest going with a high threat weapon for that one slot. DKs do struggle a little to reach the defense "cap" but beyond that, you can probably tank in a lot less than full T7, especially if your group is not also new to all of their roles. (Source)

Druid (Skills List / Talent + Glyph Calc.)
    Swipe
    We are going to take another look at Swipe. Since we are trying to fix some problems where druids are too good at tanking it seems reasonable to also look at cases where they struggle.

Please don't follow this up a dozen threads that say "My class needs compensation for nerfs too!" We generally don't offer compensation for nerfs since they are supposed to be nerfs. But in this case we are trying to realize our goal of having 4 viable MT classes and druid AE threat generation is cumbersome. (Source)

Swipe vs. other AE Tanking skills
    The benefit of Thunderclap is it does a lot of threat in one application. The downside is that if the warrior needs AE threat while it's on cooldown, he needs to use another ability (Shockwave if talented, or perhaps Challenging Shout.)

Consecrate and DnD have their downsides too. They tick, which is nice from a hands off approach. But it's also really easy for a moving add to make it all the way through the pool without getting a tick on them.

We were okay with Swipe being a little harder to use, since when it was used well it was just as effective as other AEs. But we now wonder if it has gone too far from a test of skill to a liability that makes people not want to group with druid tanks. Nobody wants to hear "Oh, just let the paladin grab the adds. It will be easier." It was humiliating in Karazhan for the Holy paladin to tank the ghosts that the warrior or druid couldn't hold down. (No disrepect to the pallies.) (Source)

Warrior (Skills List / Talent + Glyph Calc.)
    Heroic Throw
    We think Heroic Throw does a fine job for the tank pulling. The issue is that it is an ability given to all warriors and does very little in cases where you aren't tanking.

Take Fan of Knives as a comparison (not that you can always make meaningful comparisons between abilities that two different classes have). FoK is useful on packs, but will never be a go to spell for rogues. There is no risk of them using FoK instead of melee attacks on most targets. Warrior AE is better than rogue AE as a general rule, so Heroic Throw doesn't have to fill that same niche, but it would be nice if it filled a dps niche in addition to its Decapitator-like tanking utility. (Source)

Re: Ulduar PTR Testing, Arena Tournament, Blue posts

No Auriaya

And yet still no rogue changes or fixes in the piece of shit hunger for blood change......

Yeah, Swipe is awesome, but a pain for those adds that end up behind you, or even blink behind you. IMO, not having a 360 degree AoE, is what makes druid tanking the most challenging & busy tanking class anywhere there are adds.

Stacking shamans for mana spring totem.....lolwut?

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Genesys
    And yet still no rogue changes or fixes in the piece of shit hunger for blood change......
    It only shows blue posts regarding 3 classes.. relax. Rogues are really becoming the new mages in terms of QQ.

Deleted

Yay!!! More mana regen nerfs!
    Instead of making harder encounters, they are just making mana regen harder.

YAY!

This making every class the same is really getting out of hand.

Field Marshal
    15+ Year Old Account

boo on mana totem. I was still hoping for the 'promised' combining of mana and healing totem. Oh well. what next?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainArlong
    Getting out of hand? It's been out of hand since WOTLK was released.

Yeah, like the guy before said, instead of making encounters harder, they just figure it's easier to nerf the players. The lazy way out, again, good to know the 165 million dollars a month in subscriptions are being earned by hard work......

Quote Originally Posted by Chopard

YAY!
    They have to. The way mana regen is implemented in this game is actually pretty darned stupid - you either end up with too low mana regen in low-end content or you end up with too high regen in high-end content.
    Why?
    Mana regen and spell power scales with item level, mana cost doesn't. This doesn't make for a need for heavier spells with higher item level, but does make for the heavier spells costing less.

Well, not stupid, but it has major room for modification

I actually enjoy druid tanking as it is right now (Busy tanking), but it would be nice if swipe did a bit more threat at lower gear levels. It's pretty easy for those seeds and blizzards to pop mobs off you when you haven't had time to get a mangle/maul/lacerate in on large packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    [US PTRs] Mimiron testing tonight
    According to the schedule, Mimiron will be tested tonight on US PTR servers, starting at 7pm EDT/4pm PDT.
    But that post says it's Friday, not Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainArlong
    I was trying to read this, but all I saw was years of QQing about how somebody else's class could do something better than somebody else's class.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydius
    Getting out of hand? It's been out of hand since WOTLK was released.

Yeah, like the guy before said, instead of making encounters harder, they just figure it's easier to nerf the players. The lazy way out, again, good to know the 165 million dollars a month in subscriptions are being earned by hard work......
    You realize this is all a video game, right? Nerf the players, buff the mobs, it's all the same.

They're just changing the numbers, if they made everyone hit for 50% less in PVE and lowered all mob HP by 50%, it would be exactly the same as it is now, you wouldn't even have to change enrage timers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopard

YAY!
    Actually it makes a lot of sense. Mana regen is out of hand in PVE atm, no one gives a shit about it. Especially healers.

I guess you're too noob to have been around at the beginning of BC raiding. Mana regen fucking mattered, healers that just stacked spell power went OOM and were worthless for bosses. MP5 was a great stat, you needed like 1k healing (bit more for T5) and then stacked mana regen.

Nowadays you never go oom, I don't even use Aspect of the Viper on a single fight in 25 mans as a Hunter. In fact I sit at 100% mana the whole time with BoW, JoW, Replenishment, and a Mana Spring is just gravy.

This change is fine.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler (Blue Tracker)
    We don't think burst is a problem in PvP right now.

I'm really disappointed that eu servers had no test today...
    Now you can see that blizz doesn't care about eu players.

On swipe, druids are simply as an immense disadvantage for aoe tanking as it is now.
    It's frontal only, and costs a lot. The damage is nice tho.

If, however, they simply made demoralizing roar do Damage as well, and made it on par with thunderclap, they'd have the issue mostly fixed.

But, noooooo..... sigh.

Ouch, this nerf is gona hurt on everybodies mana.

Quote Originally Posted by bbr
    If, however, they simply made demoralizing roar do Damage as well, and made it on par with thunderclap, they'd have the issue mostly fixed.
    this is an elegant solution you are proposing... too bad that they will try (again) to fix swipe (not seeming to realize that they nerfed it a month or so ago...).

I personally have no issue with swipe tanking, but I am obsessed with moving around a lot and positioning mobs the way I want them, it's a large part of the fun for me.

After a couple of weeks of reading this website I have noticed that after every blue post is replies from hundereds of you idiots QQing about your class getting nerfed or not getting buffed. STFU nobody cares.

Hunters: QQ less you are the biggest idiots that play this game. Huntard is an understatement as an insult. Learn to play a class that BRINGS SOMETHING to a raid or group before you cry and whine about how useless you are. You're the one who chose to play the class because its insanely easy to level, and I couldn;t be happier you're getting nerfed again. Go reroll STFU.

Rogues: QQ I'm being left out of all the new changes QQ. Go back to stabbing priests in BGs and leave raiding to real pve classes. I have yet to meet a single one of you that actually kicks when its needed. The only thing thats a "waste of energy" is the effort people use to hear you QQ.

Death Knights: You only rolled your class becaue you were horrible at whatever you played in BC and you're too lazy to level a class from 1 that there aren't already a million of. The only reason people play this class is out of laziness and fail. I hope you get nerfed to all hell. Nobody wants the fail hunter reroll to be main tanking anything when it was their stupid pet pulling every trash mob in BC.

Blizzard is a brilliant company. You people who whine about what the do for this game have NO IDEA what it takes to try to make you babies happy. If you don't like their approach STOP PLAYING. Its very simple, put down the mouse and go outside.

As for mana regen, its good to see the nerfs. I play a holy priest as my main, and I cannot wait to actually have to peek over at my mana bar. Remember 19 Spellpower gems are for mages and locks, not for healers.

Now please, reply to this post telling me I'm bad and I fail and I'm a troll, because it makes my statements and opinions false and invalid.