moonkin or elemental?

in raids which usually does more dps?
    and healers which is usually a better raid healer ?

15+ Year Old Account

Re: moonkin or elemental?

I think both elemental and moonkin are capable of decent dps. i'd go with the moonkin though. /dance ;D

as for healers shaman are strong but i haven't really heard anything about other healers being so bad they can't function.

Elemental for DPS and Druid for healing. People are always looking for a druid healer.

in my experience as elemental shaman i can say that.
    moonkin > elemental in overall damage, mainly because of the AoE on the trash groups, and still being able to do proper single target bursts.
    however ive also noticed that (atleast at 4 hourseman) a elemental shaman might be a better choise as a healer then a moonkin.
    thoug that could just be skill based, im not sure.

your question is quite vague, but considering t7+ equivalent gear, hitcap, same buffs, the moonkin should do 200+ dps than a shaman.

Healingwise they are pretty equivalent, but for heavy aoe dmg healing shaman is for shure the best. Druids have incredibly good single target healing and better mana efficency...
    Bud

see replies in every other thread you've posted this topic....

I've yet to have a Moonkin do more than me.

If you have to choose between the two for a raid though, take a Moonkin for the hit and haste.
    I accidentally my signature

Oddly enough, I was going to say the exact opposite because of the spellpower from Totem of Wrath.

Granted, I'm a shadow priest so the hit from imp faerie fire is irrelevant for me due to misery. At that point, it's effectively a question of boomkin aura versus 280 spellpower and I'll take the massive spellpower boost every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangebud
    your question is quite vague, but considering t7+ equivalent gear, hitcap, same buffs, the moonkin should do 200+ dps than a shaman.

Healingwise they are pretty equivalent, but for heavy aoe dmg healing shaman is for shure the best. Druids have incredibly good single target healing and better mana efficency...
    Bud
    200 dps is the difference between a 100 latency and a 130 latency. AKA "almost freaking nothing."

A geared (10+ BIS pieces) and skilled ele sham will do 5k-6k on fights like patch and raszuvious. I can't say how much boomkins should be doing though - I only have experience and knowledge of shammies.

As far as healing... I'm not sure what the OP is asking. Does he want to know if an elemental shaman or a balance druid can heal better in a pinch, or if a resto shaman or resto druid is a better healer? I think balance has some talents that synergize with healing, whereas ele shams get no talents that directly boost their healing. Ele can toss a quick lhw or ch though if need be, in a portal on 3d or something, without having to spend gcd's shifting out of and back into mookin form.

In terms of raid buffs, ele shaman hands down, ESPECIALLY if you don't have another shaman in the group/raid all ready. A moonkin brings 1) 5% spell crit, 2) 3% all haste, 3) improved fairy fire (lesser armor debuff and 3% hit rating).

A raid without a sham, however, is missing 1) 280 spell power, 2) 5% spell haste, 3) stoneskin totem (or maybe talented strength of earth totem - it's better than horn of winter), 4) mana totem. Cleansing totems and tremor totems are also situationally quite useful. Furthermore, if the raid doesn't have another ele sham or a boomkin all ready, it is missing 5% spell crit buff... and people all too often forget that ele shams provide that buff via crits just as well as a moonkin does via his aura.

Quote Originally Posted by Orangebud
    Druids have incredibly good single target healing and better mana efficency...
    Better mana efficiency? Not a chance.

Go look at any WWS, at the energy gains over the course of any given fight. A shaman will have a fraction of the mana gained that a moonkin has, but neither run oom. That indicates the shaman is more efficient (aka uses less mana to do he same amount of damage).

Moonkins manage their mana as well, overall, as an ele sham, perhaps, but it's not because they are more efficienct; it's because they have more regeneration via talents and other abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by wayth
    ...  At that point, it's effectively a question of boomkin aura versus 280 spellpower and I'll take the massive spellpower boost every time.
    Especially because moonkin aura (the 5% crit buff) is DUPLICATED BY ELEMENTAL SHAMANS.

I swear to God, no one but elemental shamans know this.

And, of course, it isn't just a matter of boomkin aura v. totem of wrath.

Shamans: 280 spell power, 5% spell haste, 5% spell crit buff, 3% all crit debuff, and potentially more... but this is the stuff that matters for casters.

Moonkins: 5% spell crit buff, 3% all haste buff, 3% hit buff.

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Einzweidrei
    Especially because moonkin aura (the 5% crit buff) is DUPLICATED BY ELEMENTAL SHAMANS.

haha agreed on that statment

15+ Year Old Account

It's called elemental oath.
    But I suppose he meant the 3% haste you get through the aura.

Quote Originally Posted by Einzweidrei

Mages know, trust me. Given that my guild always has a spriest to give me 3% hit, I couldcareless about a boomkin. An elemental sham makes my day though.

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account

I think it's really mostly personal preference. Both are pretty on par with each other for damage. Not sure why people think moonkins are only bringing crit and haste to the raid though. They provide some nice utility. Hurricane provides a nice debuff along with insect swarm (provided you don't take the glyph). I find lately it's much harder to find an ele shammy though then a moonkin. So if you are just looking for a spot in a raid as DPS I'd probably say go Ele just because they are harder to find.