Question about my DPS

Hi, I've just been curious if my DPS is matching my gear.

I don't have a WWS handy, and I figure that's not the best thing to go by, since there are a lot of factors that go into the different fights and my AOE inflates my DPS on most fights. So I've just done a bunch of single target timed fights against the Heroic Training Dummy and I'm averaging about 2800 DPS, self-buffed.

My spec is 17/0/54 Cookie Cutter Unholy
    Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...+Hand&n=Melloh

I'd say my gear is pretty good, just not sure if I should be breaking 3k with it. Any advice is appreciated, good or bad.

(I'll try to get a WWS of my training dummy fights)

Re: Question about my DPS

Your gear is pretty good, but 2.8k dps does seem a touch low, you really should be able to break 3k.

can i ask what rotation you are using to get 2.8k?

PS>IT>BS>BS>SS>UB>SS>SS>DC>SS

Using gargoyle on the first DC, that's basically how I open. Besides refreshing dots when SS doesn't refresh them, I'm just keeping UB up all the time and using DC's before or when my runic power gets to 100 between SS cooldowns...

I've always saw a DK's rotation as more of a guide than a set rotation of skills since there are quite a few things effecting your cooldowns.

You should be doing a hell of alot more dps then you are for the gear u have. One thing i noticed about your gear is that your not hit capped, being at 296+ hit will up your dps alot. And i would also pick up Desecration over Unholy Aura and Dirge.

Here's the thing... Test dummies are a terrible way to "check" your dps, especially for Unholy. BcB / Necrosis do not work on the dummies. Your gear is great, you ARE hit capped, the guy above me is wrong, hit cap is 8%, if you don't believe me, read EJ forums. Your spec is right, desecration is a terrible talent on live for raiding. The rotation the posted above is the rotation you should follow. Glyph of the ghoul, glyph of SS, and glyph of IT is probably your best choice glyphs, IT can be replaced with another for preference. Also make sure you are in blood presence which I'm sure you know that.
    Unholy is great for AOE, but not as good as blood or frost on single target. If you want to see big numbers on boss fights, go Blood or Frost, you just won't see it as unholy.

Ah, that explains the random hits for 1 on the dummy. Thanks for the posts, I was pretty sure I had everything down, but really wasn't 100% sure. Well, looks in 3.1 Unholy will be more viable for single targeting, thanks again.

I'm guessing your DPS is low because you are a human female. Maybe try switching to a good race??

Btw 8% is hit cap with a draenei.

Quote Originally Posted by Daamus
    You should be doing a hell of alot more dps then you are for the gear u have. One thing i noticed about your gear is that your not hit capped, being at 296+ hit will up your dps alot. And i would also pick up Desecration over Unholy Aura and Dirge.
    Couple of things, your hit rating is FINE, 8% is all you need to be melee-capped. 9% was debunked a long time ago, get with the times people.

Desecration has also been proven to be a mediocre raiding talent, especially if your SS glyph is refreshing your diseases often. And for movement intensive fights id doubtless take unholy aura and dirge over desecration.

3.1 is another matter, but as i havent been unholy for a loong time, i cant really comment much on the changes due to be implemented for UH.

also to the above post, if you are draenei, the hiit cap is reduced by another 1% making it 7% from gear/gems/enchants. If you arent a draenei, only gear for 7% hit if you can guarantee a draenei in your group of the raid every time. The hit buff is only a group one, it doesnt affect the whole raid (Unless you have draenei in every group ofc)

Quote Originally Posted by btlyger
    I'm guessing your DPS is low because you are a human female. Maybe try switching to a good race??

Btw 8% is hit cap with a draenei.
    Hit cap is 8%, substract 1% with a dranei in your group. Go test for yourself if you don't believe it. 2.8k on a test dummy with your gear/spec looks pretty damn good to me. Aside from what Melloh said, fully raid buffed, sundered mobs, possibility to land some AoE damage and you should be getting much higher numbers.

Another point is do you time your gargoyle religiously to the same part of your rotation every time?

Might be worth waiting for fallen crusader to proc before popping it, as it will take the Str vale snapshot at that point and do significantly better if it has been used before wthout procs.