Would Pole-arms Be the Tanking wepond of Choice??

Ok So i was thinking about 2 handed Dk Tanking, And i know in the past that Pole-arms have been the Hunter of wepond of choice. Because its usally Stat heavy that helps with attack power. Well when mostly worrying about threat manage ment and needing the Extra Stats would a Pole-arm ever be the first choice for a Dk tank.

Little Side note usally Pole-arms Have alot of Ag, Which would help with dodge And being unholy is mostly avodience( Thinking about going unholy spec to tank) WOuldnt that help as well.

So in short the Question is Would Pole-arms be a good choice for Dk tanking due to their focus on Ag and other stats.

Re: Would Pole-arms Be the Tanking wepond of Choice??

Compared to another 2H of the same level, no.

Polearms are usually AP, and STR is better than AP for DKs.
    Polearms usually have Agility rather than Stam, Stam is obviously important for all tanks.
    Polearms usually have a large amount of Haste, which isn't useful for DKs.

If you have the choice between a level 213 polearm and a level 187 mace, by all means go for the polearm since it's just a higher level. But with even ilevel, the points on polearms usually aren't distributed that well for DKs.

I would use a polearm if it gave greater stamina, hit rating or expertise rating. Overall DPS stats for the weapon do not really matter to be on account of I am a tank.

So it is really up to YOU as the DK tank on whether you want to use a polearm or not. I not Inevitable Defeat gives what, 120 stamina? That is pretty durn good.
    You can't spank like a DK tank!

Kaotaur
    80 (Unholy) Death Knight TANK!
    Darkspear (US)
    10 / 10 / 51

So the number 1 stat im looking for is stam then. Is the order stam> strength> ag > hit. Or is their a different order

Im currently using Black Ice from 10man Malygos. Got it since there was no one that could use it when we downed him.
    And I think that it's quite nice to tank with. It gives me about 2 % dodge or something like that. The stamina could be higher, and it give and nice 70-75 hit rating. (Don't remember exactly) And in my eyes I think it beats the 2h axe from Heroic Halls of Lightning.

And according to me, the second best weapon you can have if you only go 10 man raids like me.
    The best would be Death Bite from Kal'Thuzad in 10 man atleast.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephonim
    Im currently using Black Ice from 10man Malygos. Got it since there was no one that could use it when we downed him.
    And I think that it's quite nice to tank with. It gives me about 2 % dodge or something like that. The stamina could be higher, and it give and nice 70-75 hit rating. (Don't remember exactly) And in my eyes I think it beats the 2h axe from Heroic Halls of Lightning.

And according to me, the second best weapon you can have if you only go 10 man raids like me.
    The best would be Death Bite from Kal'Thuzad in 10 man atleast.
    You should be using Titansteel Destroyer imo. It's the best stats in game till 25 man for tanking.

Lots of stamina, double the AP of the maly polearm (1 str = 2 ap)

After TS Destroyer you're looking at

Jawbone
    Betrayer

and then best in game is Inevitable Defeat from 25 man naxx trash. Destroyer is even better than Deaths Bite and there's a looooad better than the malygos polearm

If you really want a polearm then go for the Saliva Corroded Pike from VH HC. But you're still better off with Titansteel Drestroyer if all you can run is 10 mans

actually this is something i've been looking into because I feel Blizz didn't take the time to think about DK tanks. We need a tanking 2 hander. I'm not gonna ask for tanking stats. What I need is a weapon with more stam, strenght, expertise, crit and hit.

The weapon would be good for all 2 handed classes but amazing for DK tanking.. I'm just hoping that it hasn't dropped yet and that blizz didn't jsut forget.

I used BLack Ice for a long time since I kept passing on Jawbone waiting for Inevitable Defeat to drop. We've been doing naxx since Dec 15th. Inevitable Defeat has yet to drop . It's come to the point where we run Naxx 25 for the sake of 5 guildies waiting for specific items to drop. /sigh

There's plenty of awesome tanking 2 handers in game and using Black ice is seriously gimping yourself!

Strength = Parry. Black Ice has no Str.
    Yes, Agil = dodge but not enough to worry about to take Black Ice over anything else.

Titansteel Destroyer
    Jawbone
    Betrayer
    Inevitable defeat

Are the best weapons in game. They have a shed load of stamina on them.

There isn't enough of an item budget to give you Stam, str, Exp, crit and hit on an item. That's just too many stats to want and you have plenty of other gear to make that up with.

Next to druids we have the highest HP in game. I was pushing 42k hp in 25man nax last night without a warrior or warlock. We also have some of the best avoidance in game. I stand at 63% avoidance self buffed with no cooldowns or trinkets used. Expertise Soft Capped and .5% off being hit capped. Yes Crit would be nice but really I have no need for it, it would only be used for a little extra rng threat but it's very rare that dps gets close to my threat apart from that over-zelous mage that starts overnuking before someone gets to me.

Really, there's nothing that could be put on 2 handers that could really make life better. Pick up any of the 2 handers above, stop getting (current) pole arms and spend the gold on Titansteel destroyer if you can't get anything better and you're fine!

http://armory.wow-europe.com/charact...alas&n=deathet

I'm just curious on the TSD vs Death's Bite for tanking. I'm not a tank, so I really don't know, but it seems like all TSD has over DB is 23 strength. At a sacrifice of 23 strength, Death's Bite would gain you 9 stam, 8 hit, 90 crit rating and +17.2 weapon dps. Is the extra parry from 23 str really that much better than the extra stats provided by DB? It could very well be, but I'm just curious.

Inevitable defeat is the best tanking weapon you can get, currently...

STA/STR plus AGI with the expertise bonus makes it great.

Gotta have more Goatbell.

Hopefully, or at least I wish-
    They would make a nice 2H mace with Parry and Dodge.
    Then Dk's and Druids could use it :/

Quote Originally Posted by Elysium
    actually this is something i've been looking into because I feel Blizz didn't take the time to think about DK tanks. We need a tanking 2 hander. I'm not gonna ask for tanking stats. What I need is a weapon with more stam, strenght, expertise, crit and hit.

The weapon would be good for all 2 handed classes but amazing for DK tanking.. I'm just hoping that it hasn't dropped yet and that blizz didn't jsut forget.
    You want a 2hander with.. basically "more dps stats", + more stam? Are you just asking for something to not be budgeted with haste and arpen?
    I can understand wanting it, but that sounds like a win all-around, since these additional stats would have to come from some imaginary ilvl budget.. IE, it would be the best dps 2her as well.
    *shrug*

Strenght increases my parry. It's not only a dps stat.
    Stam increases my hp. Def not a dps stat
    Expertise is more usefull for me then a DPS since if they have a brain they'd stand behind the boss.
    Hit helps us both.
    Crit was just something I added for personal taste.

I personally could not give 2 shits about the damage output. Does that help?

Hmm 23 str gain = 5.75 parry rating = 0.11 Parry
    9 stam = around 110hp (roughly)

So you'll gain 1 parry in every 1000 hits. I'm not much of a theory crafter but i'd rather have that than the extra 110hp. However if you wanted extra threat then yes Death's Bite would be better than TSD

The difference between the 2 really depends on what you're tanking and how you want to tank. On a pure dmg mitigation TSD works out better than DB. But it's a very close one tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshifter
    I'm just curious on the TSD vs Death's Bite for tanking. I'm not a tank, so I really don't know, but it seems like all TSD has over DB is 23 strength. At a sacrifice of 23 strength, Death's Bite would gain you 9 stam, 8 hit, 90 crit rating and +17.2 weapon dps. Is the extra parry from 23 str really that much better than the extra stats provided by DB? It could very well be, but I'm just curious.
    23 str also equals an extra 46 AP. The parry increase also increases with the 4% from the swordshattering Rune. I'd rather have TD, personally. I'll let my Warrior/Ret Pally/DPS DK take DB. If it drops and everyone passes, I'll roll on it.

So you basically want something like

100-300 damage
    80dps weapon, 3.6 speed

190 Stamina
    150 Strength

90 Expertise
    110 Hit rating
    90 Crit Rating

That what you're after?

Quote Originally Posted by shadet
    So you basically want something like

100-300 damage
    80dps weapon, 3.6 speed

190 Stamina
    150 Strength

90 Expertise
    110 Hit rating
    90 Crit Rating

That what you're after?
    Way to over exagerate it. Here's a weapon I'd personally be happy with (Keep in mind I'm talking Ulduar lvl here):

600-915 Damage
    Speed 3.40
    That's about 220 DPS (same as BoH)

160 Stam
    130 Strenght
    80 Crit
    90 Expertise
    50 Hit

Would this be too much to ask?

Thanks for the insight guys- I mainly asked because one of our guild tanks is a Frost Knight with TSD, and he's dying for a Death's Bite for whatever reason. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshifter
    Thanks for the insight guys- I mainly asked because one of our guild tanks is a Frost Knight with TSD, and he's dying for a Death's Bite for whatever reason. Thanks again.
    Death's Bite is way better, especially since it will last until an ID (rare Naxx25 trash drop) or a Betrayer (threat stick).

Titansteel Destroyer has lower damage ranges, which means lowered threat by a large margin.

Don't just look at the stats. Look at weapon damage.

So you guys answered alot of questiton but their is one other that was looked over. Would the stats im looking for in order of importance be......str>stam>ag>top end/dps. Also take into account im going for avoidance tank cause im going unholy. Thanks in advance.