Thread: Staves vs 1H/OH

Staves vs 1H/OH

Just a thought... My main is a PVE mage and I am in a guild that is doing the current end game content. My question I pose to you all(especially those of you who are casters, dps or otherwise) is how many of you use staves anymore? After a certain player level... staves become obsolete. Even for people that are casual players, there seem to be blue 1H/OH combinations from regular dungeons or rep that are better than epic staves in 10/25 man raid content. I remember a priest in our guild at one time who had an offhand combination of blues and didnt want Damnation from 4H because it was worse then the blues she had. And I'm seeing now with Ulduar content, staves that PALE in comparrison to the guilds that will be rolling on them(mostly people who have farmed the crap out of nexus and have life or death or turning tide and the badge off hand or something close) I'm just curious as to why blizzard keeps entering these weapons in the game, when most players who can do math and can choose otherwise(and most casters can) and the staves just get DE'd. Ive asked many of my friends this question and we all play a variety of caster classes and we just dont see why Staves are still in raid content with the stats that keep getting put out. Now I'm NOT saying that they should be better... just that their stats should be comparable and not completely obsolete.... thoughts? opinions?

Re: Staves vs 1H/OH

Staves gives massive amounts of rating stats, like Haste, Crit and hit compered to Mh/oh which gives more Spellpower.
    Staves also grants alot higher number of stats like Int and Spirit.
    Quote Originally Posted by ViridianWRA - 23/03/2014 View Post
    Seriously. Someone bookmark this. If we go all the way from 6.0 to 7.0 and there is never a paid Garrison feature on the blizzard store, I will go to the store, purchase a hat and film myself eating it.

1h oh tends to be better in general.
    staves are good for extra stamina, int, and spirit though, but as said, less spellpower.

Agreed to a point but now were seeing the spirit being thrown on everything due to blizzards adjustment on how Mp5 and so on will work and I actually see more haste on staves but a greater hit/spell/crit chances on 1H.. I dont know too many people who will give up 3 things for one stat. I also personally dont worry about and extra 20 stam and intel here and there... Most raid gear gives you enough stam and intel for you to work in a raid/boss fight on any level without those 2 being the thing that you are trying to get the most out of. You dont see too many casters stacking intel/stam gems

Stick with MH/OH if your goal is to maximize DPS, especially as a mage.

Staves generally waste a lot of stat allocation on stamina, intellect, and even sometimes spirit. As a mage, this does little to your DPS performance unless you constantly find yourself lacking replenishment in a raid, but even then it's still debatable as to whether it's really worth it.