Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...

Re: New UI Add-On Development Policy

Quote Originally Posted by Captiosus
    Addons for WoW cannot function without: 1) WoW.exe, 2) the Blizzard developed API, 3) the Blizzard provided LUA scripting language. Addons are not independent programs that are indistinguishable from WoW itself. They are code, based on a series of rules granted by Blizzard to developers to interact with Blizzard's API.

So what does 17 USC 103b say? It says that your XML and LUA scripts are yours, yes, as are any graphics you make custom for your own addon. But since none of this can do anything without Blizzard's copyrighted API, it remains, ultimately, a derivative work.
    You are absolutely incorrect, and you have exposed that you blatantly know absolutely nothing about writing software.

Addons are LUA script, the only thing they *require* is a LUA interpreter, not WoW.exe specifically. It is perfectly possible to run a WoW addon in a LUA sandbox. Blizzard does not provide the LUA scripting language, they provide a LUA interpreter. Very, very big difference. As for the WoW API... copyright does not apply to API function calls. The actual code that those calls execute are indeed copyright protected, but we can't see that code anyway, let alone modify it. Now, if Blizzard had made the API available through an SDK that had a very restrictive license, they'd have a case about not being allowed to use commerical software in conjunction with their API. But they didn't. The API is freely available with absolutely no licensing requirement needed.

Addons are unquestionably original works. In order to be considered a derivative work under Title 17, the author would have to incorporate Blizzard copyrighted assets, such as the lua code they use for their own addons or blizzard art. If an author did that and tried to charge money for it, then Blizzard has a very clear cut case for injunction and damages based on derived work. Otherwise, copyright belongs to the author. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Jushak
    You are entitled to your opinion, but as someone who does use it - for convenience reasons - I'm much more likely to go the developers site and donate via wowmatrix than if there's annoying ad in-game from the add-on.
    It's a fact, that some autors got more donation after asking for them in game. Now go on talking about "opinions".

Quote Originally Posted by FritzTheCat
    I created an account just to post in this thread. I see a point or two has been missed.

#1 Name another major MMO that allows add-ons AT ALL. Go ahead, I'll wait.

#2 It just says you cannot solicit for donations in-game, and that you should do it on your website instead. Why not just code in the URL of your website somewhere in huge letters in the help screen for your add-on?

#3 Developers, yes, we all appreciate your hard work on the add-ons you create, but stop, think... nobody twisted your arm to make you spend your time on it.
    #1 So warhammer online doesn't have addons, right? Sigh...
    #2 Because that way authors get much less money
    #3 Why simply stop using addon that annoys you about donations?

Quote Originally Posted by kartu3
    It's a fact, that some autors got more donation after asking for them in game. Now go on talking about "opinions".
    Author of nUI has stated he got $300 over a one year period with just his donation link on his website

That's $5.70 a week guys.

For a ton of free coding time.

It's no where near any sort of significant amount of money

Quote Originally Posted by Jushak
    Time is money. This game is a pass-time, most of us have to deal with enough work/study related e-mails to not want to deal with same in our free time.
    Seriously it takes me about 10 minutes tops to check them every few days. In fact since I know what NEEDS to be updated or not I bet it's quicker with my email strategy then you using wowmatrix.

My reasoning is this : wowmatrix or indeed any auto updater program has no idea what's actually been updated or not. It needs to check each one manually. If you know what addons have been changed and what has been changed in them it empowers you as a user.

Let's assume over the weekend you play on Friday night ,A little on Saturday morning, Saturday Afternoon , A few hours on Sunday and few on Sunday night. Now assuming you check for new addons before logging in that's 5 times over 2 days and 3 nights that you've used wowmatrix to update yr addons. Average wowmatrix scan takes 5 mins right ? . So that's 5 x 5 = 25 mins

Compare this with what I do. Update emails go into a special mail folder in my email. Over that same weekend I might check through them once. Each one has a short change log of what's changed. I scan through ignoring : minor updates , localisation changes and anything else I deem as a minor update (around 2mins) . I might then have to download maybe 2 updates the installation of which takes maybe 3 minutes to install.

That's 5 minutes. Versus your 25 minutes.

Unless of course your a smart chappy who only updates their addons when they aren't working quite right

I'm assuming of course that are using wowmatrix that often (and that you would have those exact playing sessions)

To be honest parts of the add-on community disgust me. They act like they should be getting donations when it's supposed to be sharing results of a hobby with the community. Don't get me wrong: Nothing wrong with giving/asking kindly for donations, but some of the posters I've seen here and elsewhere have gone beyond "donations are nice" to "what? only this much?"
    Actually that's the part that disgusts me. The assumption that much of the wow community makes that these authors are *forcing* people to make donations. I've never heard any cases of an addon author specifically stating that they would hold off updates until they got X amount of donations.

Ridiculous.

You can't make money off of someone else's product. That just makes sense. I don't see why anyone is QQing about this because the fact is if there was no WoW none of these coders would be making any money off of there WoW addons....but they don't own WoW so they shouldn't be allowed to charge people for it.....i really don't see how this got so much discussion when its pretty cut and dry....
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    Man, Vanilla was so cool, where the final boss of the instance dropped weapons that shared models with blues and greens!
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=17076#same-model-as
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=17074#same-model-as
    and he went on and listed about 16 more items...truly...a champion for logic

Quote Originally Posted by XemnasXD
    You can't make money off of someone else's product. That just makes sense. I don't see why anyone is QQing about this because the fact is if there was no WoW none of these coders would be making any money off of there WoW addons....but they don't own WoW so they shouldn't be allowed to charge people for it.....i really don't see how this got so much discussion when its pretty cut and dry....
    Yes you can make money of some one else's product, this is done with a lot of stuff on the Internet. Just go to vbulletin.com and see what is free and what need extra payment, vbulletin is a Bulletin Board and they provide addon/hooks to. The only difference is that they don't have the arrogance to claim copyright on those addons. Even in open source software you have payed stuff take a look at Joomla there free addons but also payed once.

Why people are QQing is because Blizzard is claiming that all addons are their probity without even taking note on the copyright laws that Europe and VS have. But when their own copyright is infringement then they shout murder just like Glider. Glider is a cheat program but even most people that have copyright experience say that the judge stretched the law a bit to far (want to know more go read on internet). Like i said a few posts back EULA and ToS are probably not even valid here in the Netherlands because of the way their displayed. Also what ever is writen in the ToS or EULA is the law has a different view on the matter its to bad for EULA or ToS but then their not valid.

Also they may not own the WoW but they own their code what they write and Blizzard cant demand what they put on their website or if they have premium account on that site. Also they can ask not to use there trademarks but even in the law its stated what you can and may use trademarks for promotion etc if your from a different organization.

At the moment their people here that are t roughing their basic rights away thats why most people are upset and making a point not to do so.

This is by far the stupidest comment of the day. You can make money off from other people's products. Blizzard is making money off from Microsoft's Windows product. There are numerous for-fee Office plugins, there are numerous for-fee iPhone applications, there are numerous for-fee Windows applications. Based on your logic, WOW should be free because Blizzard is using Microsoft's proprietary Windows platform to run their application on.

This is not cut and dry. When someone writes a piece of code, whether it be an Office plugin, an iPhone app, or a WOW addon, this code belongs to the author, not to the copyright holder of the application/platform it is using unless the author used the copyright holder's original work, then it would be derived. API function names are not derived work(you can't say you own "CancelLogout" and noone else can use that function call ever) only the code within that function is yours(which we can't see anyway).

Boneheaded comment is Boneheaded.

Wowhead. Wow interface. Wow wiki . Allakhazam . Books on addon programming . Thottbot. Wowinsider. Mmo champion. World of Raids. That lady that makes Murloc plushies and Heathstone keychains. That website that makes t-shirts of your guild tabard. Game Spot. Amazon. Any number of game store chains. Any number of department store chains.

All of the above make money either directly (via selling copies of wow) or indirectly (as in the websites) make money off someone else's product.

What makes them OK but charging for an addon isn't ?

Quote Originally Posted by theKarn
    Bad code? because it's complex and has no comments? Hardly.

Where does it say "Your addons have to be non-sloppy and well coded" oh wait IT JUST HAS TO WORK.
    As a programmer, while I'll agree that code is not necessarily bad if it has no comments, however if the code is so convoluted that no one wants to touch it, then it is bad code. It shouldn't "just" have to work, good code should work in the most efficient and logical manner possible, which usually means with the least amount of complexity needed, and if you write your code well, it should be easily understandable by any experienced programmer even without comments included.

I think blizzard has hurt themselves with this move. Yeah they can make all the legal rules, but all it takes is for the authors of all these addons to reclaim their codes, remove them from wow, and wow becomes unplayable for a lot of people. When wow becomes an unplayable game, blizzard will lose tons of casual players. They have clearly stated they make their money from casual players. No matter the argument, if people decide to stop playing because WoW's own functions are not worthwhile, then Blizzard will really start losing money.

If Blizzard was targetting specific addons, then why did they include language covering other free great addons?

They stole outfitter/wardrobe from the author, now they want everyone to make their codes visible, so they can steal them also.

Let the lawsuits begin.

Quote Originally Posted by drakonblayde
    As for the WoW API... copyright does not apply to API function calls.
    It actually does, in the US.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/design/s...leID=201801579

Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    This link shows that copyright laws do not extend to the API. Not sure if that is what you meant to say.

COMMACK, N.Y. — Ruling Monday (Aug. 20) that copyright laws do not extend to the functionality of application programming interfaces (APIs), an arbitration panel threw out an injunction sought by Express Logic Inc(API source). against sales of Green Hills(API Copier) Software Inc.'s micro-velOSity real-time operating system

Quote Originally Posted by SimTex
    Why would blizzard care, if people want to pay for an addon or donate because they think the author is doing a great job let them.
    Reading comprehension would reveal that Blizzard did not remove the ability from the developers to ask for donations on their websites, just from them asking in game.

Blizzard's Add-On policy change is probably not legal, and could be the object of a class action suit, if any lawyer types happen to take it up.

I refer specifically to items 1 and 2 in the stickied post on the UI Add-On Development policy:

1) Add-ons must be free of charge.
    All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create "premium" versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.

2) Add-on code must be completely visible.
    The programming code of an add-on must in no way be hidden or obfuscated, and must be freely accessible to and viewable by the general public.
    The fact is, Blizzard's Add-On environment is effectively a programming framework, in much the same way that Microsoft has their MFC framework. The operating environment is analagous to Windows in this case. In both cases they are well established environments with years of history.

Now imagine if Microsoft suddenly decided to create a policy as follows:

1) Software developed to run on Microsoft Windows must be free of charge.
    All software must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create "premium" versions of software with additional for-pay features, charge money to download a software program, charge for services related to the software, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access software.

2) Software code must be completely visible.
    The programming code of a software program or application must in no way be hidden or obfuscated, and must be freely accessible to and viewable by the general public.

Some people might cheer at this, but that would very clearly be challenged in court faster than you can say "so buy a Mac Pro." A company does not have any kind of automatic rights to the intellectual property of others, even when the software is developed by their compiler tools and runs in their operating environment, which is what this effectively says.

The remainder of the UI policy are probably OK in actuality. Blizzard does have a right to manage and control the look and feel of it's game, so in-game Ads can be disallowed as they could be compared to commercial Graffitti that defaces a work of art. And the final item is also probably legal - Blizzard is within their rights to 'close' their API anywhere they see fit, which means they are within their rights to disable addons they don't like. The API belongs to them.

However, the first two items go too far in stepping on the intellectual property rights of others.