Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Does a DPS really need addons?

i can understand vent but i cant understand why ppl laugh at other ppl who say they have no addons does it really matter?

im sure it helps up to a point

since im making a new character on US server i need to know
    *oceanic realm i was on didnt seem to care much but playing my bros 80 on US realm ppl seem to really want ppl with addons*

would you take a person with no addons *and possibly no vent*
    if they claimed to know the fight?
    *or would at least be willing to go look up how to do the fight*

over a dps that has addons *and if they have addons vent is most likley there*
    and they dont know the fight

i want to raid on US realm cause the time on oceanic realm isnt good for me
    i can only do pugs and pugs dont happen that often
    no im not always gonna put in a lot of thought when i post
    and not all my posts are serious/true

Re: Does a DPS really need addons?

at the very least,

i have vent, deadly boss mod, and something similar to naturcast that can tell me where everyone is on their cooldowns so i can time innervates correctly.
    All of Time and Space, Everything that has happened or will happened, Where do you want to start?

"If you ever see a rogue, either rogue is overgear or the rogue has problems"

if you can function up to par w/o it, more power to you. i wont care. but if you're slacking behind everyone else and dying to things you need to be watching for, either fix it w/ add-ons or get out.

I know a ton of guilds who wont take people unless they have specific addons.

Honestly though, I have:
    deadly boss mods
    questhelper on my toons that are not 80
    atlas loot
    recount
    map coords

Only one of those is a raid utility, well recount is also, but its not one of those nessesary things. I used to have threat meters, but after I re-installed my OS I never bothered to download it. I don't think I need it tbh. I never pull threat.

I'm sure other people could give you a list of things they feel are required.
    If you can do what I need you to do, I don't give a flying crap what addons you have.

Oh, I don't count vent as an addon, because its not an addon.. It's a separate program.
    But vent is a must imo. It just makes things easier / better. I get sick of typing for hours on end.

DBM/Bigwigs and Vent. The end.

All other add-on's are cosmetic. DBM is more for a jic situation. I don't want the party to wipe cause you didn't know the polarity had switched or something idk. But then again, it can be just as easy to wipe a raid with DBM by getting lazy and reliant on it. The timers can be off/it messes up and game over.

deadly boss mods or bigwigs is a must, its nearly impossible to do it w/o, vent is hardly a replacement cause ppl forget, addons dont

recount, i hate ppl that spam "meters!!!" get ur own ffs (and u can see urself how good or bad dps u do)

those 2 are the only ones i have to have for raiding

then there is some class add-ons, wich u dont realy neeed, but i find very useful

then there is "auctioneer" wich is a must imo if u use the AH alot

questhelper if u quest alot

maybe i went offtopic :P

Wizzleteats

On my Ret Paladin I have three mods specifically for raiding.

Deadly Boss Mods
    Recount
    Pally Power

I could raid without them but I'd go mad without Pally Power. It makes assigning and buffing so much easier - plus, it let's you know which Paladin to yell at when someone on Vent whines about the lack of a Paladin buff. ;D

u should never rely 100% on anything

Quote Originally Posted by spitfire668
    DBM/Bigwigs and Vent. The end.

All other add-on's are cosmetic. DBM is more for a jic situation. I don't want the party to wipe cause you didn't know the polarity had switched or something idk. But then again, it can be just as easy to wipe a raid with DBM by getting lazy and reliant on it. The timers can be off/it messes up and game over.
    most boss abilitys that are used that are gonna be a raid wipe the game shows a text in the middle of screen saying *boss* is *doing some crap* or lava is churning in OS i know to look out and stay safe
    so that deadly boss mod sounds kinda pointless to me since the game warns you when the boss is about to do something
    no im not always gonna put in a lot of thought when i post
    and not all my posts are serious/true

Grid and DMB is one of the addons I'm really dependant on. And I'm a rogue, I don't know why I can't raid without Grid, but it just.. fits with raiding :>
    Sure, I could raid without DBM for example, but I will lose a lot of focus on putting out as much damage as I can while watching walls, Polarity Shifts and so on.
    Much easier to have an alert so you can switch your focus.

And I'm using those purely cosmetic addons like Bartender and so on, but DBM/BigWigs is a must-have for any raider in my opinion.

jasonurbanfmd

generally something like omen threat meter is nice. sure you got the tooltip if you hover over the mob, but yeah... when your doing things like sarth 3d... have fun doing that

Quote Originally Posted by archform
    most boss abilitys that are used that are gonna be a raid wipe the game shows a text in the middle of screen saying *boss* is *doing some crap* or lava is churning in OS i know to look out and stay safe
    so that deadly boss mod sounds kinda pointless to me since the game warns you when the boss is about to do something
    DBM does alot more then just a warning when a boss is about to do something. They have cast bars, count down timers, Sound warnings, move able boss health frames, etc etc. Most raiders will swear by it. I use it as an RL to announce to the raiders when things are about to happen. I know the fights, but even I can be caught not paying attention once or twice.

As raid leader -> no vent/dbm/threatmeter -> bye o/

Not cause they are a must, but on progress raids it's the only way to avoid loads of useless wipes.

For SP's oder Afflilock u guess without classtimer (or similar) u will be doing much harder so i suppose its nearly a must have

Deleted

I don't care about the addons u use as long as you don't whipe the raid or suck at dps'ing.

The things WE need for the raid:
    Ora2

The Things I use(rogue)
    Ora2
    Classtimer
    No Bossmod
    No Threatmeter

It depends on the raidlead if additional stuff is needed but in general dps really can perform well w/o any additional addons

RWeber

Quote Originally Posted by archform
    i can understand vent but i cant understand why ppl laugh at other ppl who say they have no addons does it really matter?
    It used to matter. Now the content is so trivial that honestly the bosses are going down whether you have addons or not.

in short: no

longer version: nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

not really, just omen,DBM and maybe recount if you care enough to want to..but not really "needed" if your skillfull enough or don't care. idk, silly question really.

addons are very much not needed...if you care: omen, dbm, recount...but it's not needed at all, and ventrilo is even less needed...
    The man they call Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Trolltrolltroll
    Telling people why you kicked them is the only way for them to know how not to do it in the next group they're in.

Seriously, imagine you're 5 years old, playing with Legos in your room, and dad comes in and slaps you around a little bit and tells you that you're grounded. What do you learn from the experience? Just that dad is an asshole.

Don't be an asshole, dad.

As a raid leader i find it add-on very important. While most information can be kept in your head it is still very nice to have it there on screen so you can do your job, while guiding the raid.

As an RL, i want the raid to focus on DPS/Healing/Tanking Respectively so i want to give them as broad a range as possible, take a little equivocation out of the fights, my raid can trust me, so they rely on me. Is this good well that is debatable.

for example with mods, i can keep track of all Brez/innervates/Mana tides/heroisms etc. This allows me to make those calls and lets them focus on their job of staying alive and staying out of fires/blizzards. I say Droodad 1 brez mage 1 and it stops 6 people from blowing the brez. Or of having to ask over vent and getting 3 replies of up and 2 of down and 1 of dead cause he wasnt paying attention.

As for dps i like them to have at least 3 mods.

DBM / Omen (though threat isnt an issue, thats not the point) / and some form of meter so they can track their personal progress on fights.

Ventrillo is a must for my raids, cause i dont type. and i am horrible at watching chat. (personal pref)

At the end of the day mods are all about personal preference. though i find them terribly usefull overall and really no reason to not have them. they are free, they are updated, and created by the very community that uses them.

As a RL i see all.
    when the kittens take over the freeways remember i was on your side.

Saying that pures should beat hybrids by 5% is like saying a penny should be tails 50% of the time. If you flip a penny infinite times, yes, it will be tails half the time. But if you flip the penny three time and don't get any tails, you shouldn't take the penny to the bank and tell them it's broken.