Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...

Re: Does a DPS really need addons?

To those that said "Vent is essential":

Get a fkin clue. We went from pugging Kara to horde first MH/BT attunement to horde first on most bosses in there to server first Brut without the use of Vent or any other form of voice communication. It was a spanking new server so we were months late on raiding, reason why we only got up to Brut pre 3.0.

Vent is NOT essential. Good communication skill is. (and mature players ofc)

DBM isn't essential either. Raided weeks without it and didn't miss it one bit. All it does is clutter your chatbox.

Pre 3.0 I would've said Omen for sure, but these days even that isn't needed. Unless you have sucky tanks. (Although I managed to score 8.2k tps with BL and blowing CD's and super lucky crit streak, it ended in me dying, but was worth a lol)

So in answer to the OP, no, you don't need any addons with the current state of the game. Common sense should suffice.

as a ret pally
    if im slowly gaining aggro hand of salv myself
    if im gaining aggro and i dont have hand of salv i bubble
    if im gaining aggro and i dont have anything to get rid of threat i stop attacking
    i rarely use any of those spells cause most of the time tank keeps aggro
    bubble helps me get a second chance if im standing in fire/or something that does dmg.
    if im almost dead LoH myself
    if a frenzy happens *that isnt so strong you know your gonna wipe* hand of sacrifice tank
    use seal of command if you get a +% to dmg buff so i dont help kill myself with blood
    LoH tank if healer is doing something wrong

i focus on MT so i can click him ezr...............what mods make any of that ezr on me? just curious

no im not always gonna put in a lot of thought when i post
    and not all my posts are serious/true

Quote Originally Posted by Spots
    To those that said "Vent is essential":

Get a fkin clue. We went from pugging Kara to horde first MH/BT attunement to horde first on most bosses in there to server first Brut without the use of Vent or any other form of voice communication. It was a spanking new server so we were months late on raiding, reason why we only got up to Brut pre 3.0.
    Guild/server please. Don't come here and bullshit crazy like that without some measure of proof.

You don't actually need a single addon for any role. Some addons are quite helpful, but none is really needed to play good. (if you absolutely believe you're in need of them, you rely way too much on outside sources)

The only class that might require addon is affliction warlock for better DoT timers. But even for feral, who has to look out for several debuffs, the real UI is enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Offhand
    Guild/server please. Don't come here and bullshit crazy like that without some measure of proof.
    I know Nihilum didn't use ventrilo or teamspeak. (for raiding stuff that is)

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos
    You don't actually need a single addon for any role.
    Try heal 25 man raids without healbot.

Quote Originally Posted by cloud_strife
    Many healers play without healbot.

were talking about dps here

*most healers i talk to about addons say they use healbot or grid or something like that
    *i dont talk to many healers
    no im not always gonna put in a lot of thought when i post
    and not all my posts are serious/true

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by cloud_strife
    -.-

Apart from that most healers don't use healbot (because it sucks and it's slow), but rather grid+clique. It is perfectly possible to heal with blizzard raidframes, and use decursive for dispelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Voidmaster
    -.-

Apart from that most healers don't use healbot (because it sucks and it's slow), but rather grid+clique. It is perfectly possible to heal with blizzard raidframes, and use decursive for dispelling.
    actually, all i use for healing is grid

lhw bound to 1
    hw 2
    ch 3
    riptide 4

been that way (of course without riptide) since bt

for decursing it's bound to alt-z, (idk why, but it fits, and it flows easy) and i just watch on grid for a green, beige, or purple border
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitingisfun
    Hallo huter . good is 2 now ther is hunter woh playd till vanilla . i haved warr 2 but i was bored lol . i aso reed alot moore much forums but i writ so dab enlish i caus breein dmg to peoplol i beter just reed an wathcs i no writ point less posts an topics but mein ting is that peopl under tsand wat u writ .
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    It's like reading a slowly evolving train wreck.

@the op:
    I know many people who don't want to use addons as well... nevertheless, most people use it, and so fights are tuned around that fact (I'm refering to hard fights). For example, you could have to face a boss that every 54 seconds uses a given skill that WILL kill a person in a given area (which you have to be on the rest of the time)... in this example you need an addon to know when that skill hits.

Would I take a person with no addons ?

Well that depends...
    -For a pug ? I wouldn't due to the average skill/brains of a wow player;
    -For a guild ? No harm in giving that person a try, if he knows what he's doing I don't see why not.

Over a person with addons and vent ?
    -Chances are the person with both needs both to play on an average level... so to my eyes a smart person with no addons/vent is on equal footing with the average player that uses both.

edit: One example of this would be the spout by 'the lurker below' in SSC, though it is still somewhat forgiving.