Is 54.5% the Crit Soft Cap?

...and if so, will bleed effects be able to exceed it?

I already have well over 55% crit raid buffed and was thinking that Str will be still the way to go if this is the case.
    CoryEverson: lvl80 Death Knight (Lich King)

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Is 54.5% the Crit Soft Cap?

Simple answer: yes bleeds will because they are not limited by miss/dodge/parry ect when they are already on the target. if you have 100% crit chance 100% of your bleeds will crit

Here goes a little attack table to help you understand the mechanics behind our attacks

Miss
    Dodge
    Parry
    Glancing Blow
    Block
    Critical hit
    Ordinary hit

On white hits the system uses a roll of 1-100 to determine what it will be

so lets assume the worst(attacking from behind). No hit, no expertise. and about 30% crit

8% miss (more if you DW)
    6% dodge
    25% glancing

0 - 8 Miss
    9 - 14 Dodge
    - Parry
    15 - 39 Glancing Blow
    40 - 70 Critical hit
    71 - 100 Ordinary hit

the hard cap in this situation is 61% in this situation, this hard cap will improve as the player gets more hit/expertise untill it reaches 75% . At this point the crit chance on white hits cant be raised any higher

specials use a slightly dif table. A first roll to determine whether the attack missed (using the combined miss chance of dodge + parry + miss for the targets he was attacking), and a second roll to determine whether an attack that didn't miss was a critical hit.

Using the same model as above for yellow attacks this time
    No hit, no expertise. and about 30% crit

Miss + dodge = 14%
    Dice roll 1
    0 - 14 Attack doesn't land
    15 - 100 Attack lands

Dice roll 2
    0 - 30 Attack crits
    31 - 100 Normal hit

15+ Year Old Account

Are you sure about specials Alski?

Afaik, all attacks use a single roll table. The only difference is that specials cannot glance, so their table turns out to have differet values.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

15+ Year Old Account

unless its changed since it was last tested then yes im sure about it (although that testing was done by me in early BC)

i think alski is right on the 2 roll table for specials.
    its because certain classes can get insane crit rates on certain abilities.(a rogue backstab for example) 80% crit + 25% miss = 105%?? wtf...so blizz made a 2 roll system.

Edit: how the heck did you get 20 tenacitys alski?

so if that were that case wouldn't getting hit cap and expertise cap be great for ferals.

Since that would eliminate two items from the "roll list".

So say you run with 50% crit and are capped on hit and expertise.

1-50 crit
    51-75 glancing
    76-100 normal

*roughly*

Meaning crit caps at 75% if you cap expertise and hit.

If there are no glancing blows for special attacks then how can crit cap using that logic?

15+ Year Old Account

yes ofc getting hip / exp(dodge) cap is verry good for ferals

the soft cap is more related to our furius bite critting becase of rent & tier adds 50% crit to it lol

the hard cap for while is 75% if u get hit / exp(dodge) capped for our melee but for our other attacks its thereraticly posable ot get like 100% crit i think yet u never wana go over 75% anyway (even if u can reach it)
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Elunedra
    the soft cap is more related to our furius bite critting becase of rent & tier adds 50% crit to it lol

the hard cap for while is 75% if u get hit / exp(dodge) capped for our melee but for our other attacks its thereraticly posable ot get like 100% crit i think yet u never wana go over 75% anyway (even if u can reach it)
    you cant call it a soft cap at present because FB is hardly use and if this was the case it would be 50%(assuming hit/expertise capped) not 54.5% like the op said

personally i would say our soft cap 75%, at this point you will see a noticeable drop in the effectiveness of crit since white damage makes up ~25-30% of our overall damage compared for FB <5%

Quote Originally Posted by elapadrinar
    its because certain classes can get insane crit rates on certain abilities.(a rogue backstab for example) 80% crit + 25% miss
    It most certainly isnt that. In that case (80% crit + 25% miss) using the single roll system you would effectively have 75% crit because miss comes before everything else in the table

Using the 2 roll system you only effectively have 60% crit with 25% (80% crit with 75% of attacks landing)

Quote Originally Posted by elapadrinar
    Edit: how the heck did you get 20 tenacitys alski?
    Not to hard to get it but it doesnt stick around for long, all you have to do is be in WG just as it starts when your faction is attacking since 90% of your team will be waiting at the port in dalaran to open.

@ Hebrew, yes getting hit/expertise capped is nice but in terms of pure dps in most cases str/agi > hit in terms of their value in item points thats why you will see people gemming things like pure strength even if they arent hit/expertise capped

p.s its only white hits that are capped at 75%. Yellow hits can reach 100% if you remove miss/dodge/parry

many people will tell you that agi > str now but I find it hard to believe when we have 55crit raid buffed.
    if 1-2extra crit makes such a huge difference over loss of ap from then something is wrong with the way we scale or we designed to dps.
    kitty num num

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by lostdruid
    many people will tell you that agi > str now but I find it hard to believe when we have 55crit raid buffed.
    if 1-2extra crit makes such a huge difference over loss of ap from then something is wrong with the way we scale or we designed to dps.
    this thread isnt about agi > str or str > agi, but since you seem rather lost here goes a bit of info for you. So far in WoTLK str has been number one for 1 reason and thats because savage roar was 40% ap, with the up coming change to SR and the fact that bleeds will be able to crit tips str of the best stat and puts agi back on top

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Alski
    this thread isnt about agi > str or str > agi, but since you seem rather lost here goes a bit of info for you. So far in WoTLK str has been number one for 1 reason and thats because savage roar was 40% ap, with the up coming change to SR and the fact that bleeds will be able to crit tips str of the best stat and puts agi back on top
    and i still believe its only becase the critting bleeds ;D
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE