Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Penance/GH macro

    Hi.

    Is there any way (except cast sequence with penance and 2GH) to create a macro, that casts Penance, and when that is on CD - it casts GH?

    Reason im asking is im new to PvE disc, and having problems placing additional spell among my keybinds. Guess ill get used to the new setup in some time, still - a macro like that would be cool.

  2. #2

    Re: Penance/GH macro

    You're better off casting flash heal as discipline.

    Now on topic, I have no clue, I work with mouseover macros.
    just find the macro for mindflay and you have it:

    /mindflay macro
    /cast [target=mouseover] Greater heal

  3. #3

    Re: Penance/GH macro

    Blizzard has been very methodical about not designing a macro that allows you to do what you want here.
    There is no way to create a macro that casts spell A, then changes into casting spell B for the next X seconds, then back to spell A again.

    But if you can make some compromises, you can get far.

    You have the following tools available:

    Macro reset countdown:

    This is a simple macro that allows you to cast Penance. When you click the button, an internal cooldown begins ticking down for 10 seconds. As long as this timer is ticking, you will cast GHeal. If you do not click the button within 10 seconds, it will reset back into listing penance.

    /cast reset=10 Penance, Greater Heal
    Problem: The timer reset itself every time you click the macro, even when you cast GHeal. There is no way to time it to the cooldown of penance.

    Macro reset countdown with override:

    You can get a macro to reset on different things as well. Any of the following are legal.

    target/combat/shift/alt/ctrl

    /cast reset=10/target/shift Penance, Greater Heal
    will for instance reset the macro after 10 seconds, if you press shift or if you change targets. Neither is really what you want. But if you do opt for a timing scheme, adding an override key like shift is a good idea.

    Castsequence:

    DPSers use sequences. Healers do not. As such, this button is not really useful for a healer. But if hypothetically you are constantly spamming only one button, 4 gheals will time to the 10 second cooldown of penance.

    /castsequence Penance, Greater Heal, Greater Heal, Greater Heal, Greater Heal
    Bah. Not a good deal anyway.
    Or you could set up a sequence of the two spells and just hammer it like a cuckoo. At least one of them will work. But suddenly, you are in the wrong part of the chain and penance cooldown expires. You might end up casting gheal anyway. Bzzt.

    Just cast both spells in sequence:

    /cast Penance
    /cast Greater Heal
    There will be a lot of warnings when using this macro. But it kind of works, as if the first cast fails, the second cast will succeed, and if the first cast succeeds, the second one fails. At least last time I tried. The "you cannot cast this spell now" messages drove me crazy

    Select by mousebutton:
    If you press the right mouse button, you cast gheal. If you press the left mouse button, you cast penance.

    /cast [button:1] Penance
    /cast [button:2] Greater Heal
    But healers use hotkeys anyway. Last time I healed with the mouse was at level 4. Bzzt.

    Select by modifier:
    Pressing this macro casts penance. If you hold shift, you cast GHeal instead.

    /cast [nomodifier:shift] Penance
    /cast [modifier:shift] Greater Heal
    I think this is the best solution available. Two spells in one hotkey, but the shift key modifies it to the alternate version. I use this a lot and it saves me hotkeys.
    shift+dispel -> mass dispel.
    shift+CoH -> PoH.
    shift+SW:P -> devouring plague
    shift+smite -> holy fire
    etc etc. Spells that technically do the same, but not quite. Of course, you don't want to wear out your shift-pressing finger, so moderation is the key; use this technique for spells you occasionally cast, but not the ones you use often or the ones requiring heavy reflexes. I tried shift+PW:S -> guardian spirit, and it cost me a few tanks before I stopped doing that :P

    Get a nine button mouse
    Best solution to the hotkey problem. Though even with one and the shift solution, I still don't have all stuff I want to hotkeyed...

    Non-discipline since 2006. Also: fails. "Chakra, when the walls fell"

  4. #4

    Re: Penance/GH macro

    Thanks for that Danner, very informative post

    I'm not a wiz with macros i just use simple mouseover keybinds

    like
    1 = /cast [target=mouseover] penance
    shift + 1 = /cast [target=mouseover] greater heal

  5. #5

    Re: Penance/GH macro


    Try this:

    /cast [target=mouseover, nomodifier:shift] penance
    /cast [target=mouseover, modifier:shift] greater heal
    Non-discipline since 2006. Also: fails. "Chakra, when the walls fell"

  6. #6

    Re: Penance/GH macro

    Thanks a million Danner. Though I managed to dig most of that myself, I appreciate Your work in putting it all together.

    Pity, we cant create a macro like that

  7. #7
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,274

    Re: Penance/GH macro

    Is it so hard to press two buttons?

  8. #8

    Re: Penance/GH macro

    Quote Originally Posted by Serengir
    Hi.

    Is there any way (except cast sequence with penance and 2GH) to create a macro, that casts Penance, and when that is on CD - it casts GH?

    Reason im asking is im new to PvE disc, and having problems placing additional spell among my keybinds. Guess ill get used to the new setup in some time, still - a macro like that would be cool.
    You should be rarely casting Gheal as disc. If you want to use that spell roll a holy spec. Disc healing is all about damage mitigation and fast small heals to go between cds.

  9. #9

    Re: Penance/GH macro

    If you go for Righteous Fury, then Gheal has a higher TPS than Fheal. But with the new talent that reduces Fheal's mana cost and allowing it to crit more often on targets with less than 50% HP, Fheal shines in mana cost and gets very close to Gheal.

    Without Righteous Fury, Fheal is way better.

    Though I must admit that I sometimes miss the imba pre-emptive heal casting that was so much needed in vanilla WoW and TBC. In 3.1 this will be pre-emptive shielding the entire raid or something :P.

    But I rolled a disc priest because I want to have nice mitigation and loads of smaller bubbles.

  10. #10

    Re: Penance/GH macro

    Quote Originally Posted by Nesco
    If you go for Righteous Fury, then Gheal has a higher TPS than Fheal. But with the new talent that reduces Fheal's mana cost and allowing it to crit more often on targets with less than 50% HP, Fheal shines in mana cost and gets very close to Gheal.

    Without Righteous Fury, Fheal is way better.

    Though I must admit that I sometimes miss the imba pre-emptive heal casting that was so much needed in vanilla WoW and TBC. In 3.1 this will be pre-emptive shielding the entire raid or something :P.

    But I rolled a disc priest because I want to have nice mitigation and loads of smaller bubbles.
    IMO righteous fury is a waste of talent points as disc, you can spend the points else where to get inspiration

    Edit: As Disc of course

  11. #11

    Re: Penance/GH macro

    If you wanna cast Gheal or whatever you wanna cast you should be able to use this macro, just substetude Greater Heal with what you wanna cast,

    /castsequence reset=10 Penance, Greater Heal, Greater Heal, Greater Heal, Greater Heal

    /castsequence reset=10 Penance, !Greater Heal

    Should also work, but im not 100% sure, but tbh its all a matter of looks in your macro, and does that really matter?

  12. #12

    Re: Penance/GH macro


    Adding a "reset=10" to a /castsequence will have the same problems as I listed earlier.
    Every time you press the macro, the timer will reset. including when you press the macro to cast GHeal. Or when you press it while already casting. Or when you press it and fail to cast (oom, spell-locked, silenced etc). It's just not reliable.

    Adding ! in front of GHeal does nothing. It's intended use it to toggle stuff.
    Autoattack, petattack, shadowform and other abilities that can be enabled or disabled. Adding a ! in front of it will ensure it is not disabled if already enabled.

    Non-discipline since 2006. Also: fails. "Chakra, when the walls fell"

  13. #13

    Re: Penance/GH macro

    Quote Originally Posted by iebe
    You're better off casting flash heal as discipline.

    Now on topic, I have no clue, I work with mouseover macros.
    just find the macro for mindflay and you have it:

    /mindflay macro
    /cast [target=mouseover] Greater heal
    Penance cast faster as flash heal ( with burrowed time ), cost just a bit more mana ( i think ), and heal for much more. Why would you ever not cast penance as disc ?

  14. #14

    Re: Penance/GH macro

    Quote Originally Posted by Danner
    Adding a "reset=10" to a /castsequence will have the same problems as I listed earlier.
    Every time you press the macro, the timer will reset. including when you press the macro to cast GHeal. Or when you press it while already casting. Or when you press it and fail to cast (oom, spell-locked, silenced etc). It's just not reliable.

    Adding ! in front of GHeal does nothing. It's intended use it to toggle stuff.
    Autoattack, petattack, shadowform and other abilities that can be enabled or disabled. Adding a ! in front of it will ensure it is not disabled if already enabled.

    Im rather sure your wrong on the matter of it reseting the timer every time you use the macro, i havnt experienced that at any time, but id suggest you to atleast try it, should be worth "waisting" around 20secs of your life on

  15. #15

    Re: Penance/GH macro

    Oh I'm quite sure. Tried to make the same macro the OP wanted a long time ago.
    It's just not possible; blizzard covered their bases.

    Every time you press the macro button, regardless of which spell is listed (if any), the countdown starts at 10 again. When asked, a blue responded that this was intentional, in a move to avoid you being able to make macro based on cooldowns. They simply wanted to move the responsibility of which spell to cast back to the players.

    Non-discipline since 2006. Also: fails. "Chakra, when the walls fell"

  16. #16

    Re: Penance/GH macro

    You're better off casting flash heal than greater heal as discipline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaromir
    Penance cast faster as flash heal ( with burrowed time ), cost just a bit more mana ( i think ), and heal for much more. Why would you ever not cast penance as disc ?
    Happy now?

  17. #17
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    337

    Re: Penance/GH macro

    Flash Heal is your bread and butter filler spell as discipline. Why?

    Flash Heal can be cast twice in the time of one Greater Heal.
    - That means you have more chance to crit and proc Divine Aegis
    - Divine Aegis stacks.
    - Divine Aegis gives mana back (although nerfed in 3.1)
    - Your priority is preventing damage, let the healadins and CoH top the charts

    Flash Heal (glyphed) is more mana efficient for disc than Greater Heal

    I don't even have GHeal on my bars or set with clique. If I had planned on being disc when I hit 80, I wouldn't have trained it o.o

    Thanks to Mipeo for pally's sig!

  18. #18

    Re: Penance/GH macro

    Quote Originally Posted by Speakeasy_zj
    Flash Heal is your bread and butter filler spell as discipline. Why?

    Flash Heal can be cast twice in the time of one Greater Heal.
    - That means you have more chance to crit and proc Divine Aegis
    - Divine Aegis stacks.
    - Divine Aegis gives mana back (although nerfed in 3.1)
    - Your priority is preventing damage, let the healadins and CoH top the charts

    Flash Heal (glyphed) is more mana efficient for disc than Greater Heal

    I don't even have GHeal on my bars or set with clique. If I had planned on being disc when I hit 80, I wouldn't have trained it o.o
    And yet a Borrowed Time charge gives more benefit to Greater Heal than it does with Flash. Huh. Go figure.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

  19. #19

    Re: Penance/GH macro

    I have never used casting macros, and personally don't think they're necessary. Hitting 2 buttons isn't that hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenarius
    You sir, is a retard.

  20. #20

    Re: Penance/GH macro

    Problem is when you run out of hotkeys :P
    Non-discipline since 2006. Also: fails. "Chakra, when the walls fell"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •