1. #1

    SPriest meta gems?

    Whas thinking a little and im a shadow priest, i'm not a JC. Means i need to put 2x 9spell power & 8spirit gems in 2 gem slots to get the meta gem that gives 21 crit rating & 3% crit dmg.

    Or i can go for the Meta that gives 25 spell power & 2% intellect and then i dont need the 9 spell power gems and can put 19 instead.

    So i would come to this 25 + 18 = 43 spell power (18 is from 2x 9 spell power gems) & 2% intellect VS 21 crit rating & 3% crit dmg..

    I dunno what to take tbh in 3.1 all my spells/dots can crit so best would be to go for the crit rating one but that 3%crit dmg does it really > 43 spell power?

    any1 that done some testing/math on this that can help?

  2. #2

    Re: SPriest meta gems?

    Crit Rating/ 3%crit dmg is best now, in 3.1 it becomes even better

  3. #3

    Re: SPriest meta gems?

    The above statement is misleading...

    The Chaotic Skyflare Diamond (21crit rating / 3% increased crit damage) will scale your dps with gear but only becomes the best choice once you are doing a large amount of dps. If you check www.elitistjerks.com there is a nice thread with some numbers illustrating that it only becomes better than the 25sp/2% int gem once you hit 4800dps.

    The reasoning for this is due to the fact that 25sp is far better than 21 crit rating and the sp meta has an easier requirement meaning you dont have to exchange a 19sp gem for a 9sp/8spirit. However due to the fact that it's a finite sp gain it won't scale nearly as well as the other meta.

    I use the Chaotic Skyflare Diamond, mainly because it will be the better choice in the long term, however if you wanted to min/max to the nth degree you would choose the other meta until you were comfortably doing 5K dps.

  4. #4
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,274

    Re: SPriest meta gems?

    Quote Originally Posted by Worshaka
    If you check www.elitistjerks.com there is a nice thread with some numbers illustrating that it only becomes better than the 25sp/2% int gem once you hit 4800dps.
    The above statement is misleading.

    What you forgot to tell is they are equal at quite lower dps values. And depending on your raid composition and buffs, the CSD can be much better already at 3000+ dps.

  5. #5

    Re: SPriest meta gems?

    Take the CSD and love the big MB crits noob!! :P

  6. #6

    Re: SPriest meta gems?

    i rerolled juwelcraftig just for the meta gem requirements, i was sick of twilight opals.
    call me stupid, i have 2 juwelcrafters now. rerolled with my main rogue for the exact same reason. :

  7. #7
    Scarab Lord AetherMcLoud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    My own private hell
    Posts
    4,155

    Re: SPriest meta gems?

    Quote Originally Posted by redfly
    i rerolled juwelcraftig just for the meta gem requirements, i was sick of twilight opals.
    call me stupid, i have 2 juwelcrafters now. rerolled with my main rogue for the exact same reason. :
    Hehe, JC is just too imba not to have. I switch from engineer/miner to engineer/jewelcrafter on my main priest, and my death knight is jewelcrafter since day 1 anyway.
    I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite signature on the forum.

  8. #8

    Re: SPriest meta gems?

    so drop engi for tailoring and ure maxed for DPS (3.1)

  9. #9
    Scarab Lord AetherMcLoud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    My own private hell
    Posts
    4,155

    Re: SPriest meta gems?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lostprophet
    so drop engi for tailoring and ure maxed for DPS (3.1)
    I needz the nitro boosts, handmounted rocket cannon, and gnomish lightning generator for PVP though.
    I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite signature on the forum.

  10. #10

    Re: SPriest meta gems?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nezoia
    The above statement is misleading.

    What you forgot to tell is they are equal at quite lower dps values. And depending on your raid composition and buffs, the CSD can be much better already at 3000+ dps.
    Would love to see supplied math... EJ's has already showed the math presented on www.shadowpriest.com is incorrect or at the very best, uses the absolute best case scenario possible.

    I also concede that in 3.1 (assuming it will apply to dot crits) that the lvl of dps required will reduce.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •