Deleted

What's up with Divine Sacrifice?

I have never understood the Divine Sacrifice spell. If X% damage is redirected to the paladin once the spell is activated from the rest of the raid/group, doesn't that mean the paladin will take horrible amounts of damage if, say, a AoE damages a number of players during a boss encounter and will us instead?

From,
    Someone who is utterly confused.

Re: What's up with Divine Sacrifice?

It's meant for Tanking paladins to help reduce aoe damage, and then ret \ holy paladins to pop it and bubble.

It means spending 3 points to improve sacred shield and as a side effect getting a talent you will use in situations like...
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Artefacts:
    • In ordner to better fit the current post-truth zeitgeist, we are going to rename alle occurences of "artefact" into "artebelieve".

exactly, but if a tank uses this spell and there is large aoe dmg, wouldn't he die intermediatly?
    let's check: aoe dmg for 4k (1,333 to tank) (which is low) x 24 = 96k (31,666 to tank)
    it's a nice idea, so you only have to care about the tank, but it could have a bitter end

30% of all damage taken by party or raid members within
    30 yards is redirected to the Paladin
    (up to a maximum of 150% of the Paladin's health). Lasts 10 sec.

It is an OT ability. It is used in situations where there is a big burst of dmg. The OT will Bubble and then activate the ability, causing each raid member to take 30% less dmg and taking none at the same time. Me as a MT would rather stick 3 points in Divinity then in this ability. As an OT this is a very helpful spell in a few situations.

And lets not forget about pvp... With a healer, this is quite nice. Bubble + this is also nice if timed right against burst setups. A situational spell.

It's actually looking like a very good Holy PvE talent as part of a secondary defensive build (dual spec obviously) for the reasons that have been pointed out above already.

I can think of a few situations even on current content where popping Divine Sacrifice with bubble could really help reduce damage on the rest of the raid at crucial points The buff to Sacred Shield alongside it is just a bonus, and actually starts to make the 4pc T8 set bonus look vaguely attractive at last, especially if the reports of it's current way of operating on the PTR turn out to be intended and not just a bug:

http://elitistjerks.com/f76/t35975-h...ide_wotlk/p78/

Quote Originally Posted by Elistan
    4 set while I think is pretty crappy, this talent means that SS would last 1 min and with the bonus from T8 would go off every 4 seconds instead of 6 seconds. Which could lead to a lot of damage being absorbed.
    Quote Originally Posted by frmorrison
    Currently on the PTR, the SS buff lasts 1 minute and the shield buff lasts 12 seconds

im not sure if its true, but i heard about a immortal run failing cause a mindcontrolled paladin tosses hand of sacrifice on kell thuzad
    not sure if you ever use hand of sacrifice while mind controlled but 30% of the raids dps nukes you down pretty quickly

i dont see a lot of use for this skill without bubble tough, in 25 man raid even a weak raid wide aoe of lets say 2.1k dmg will then hit you for 18900 dmg

Quote Originally Posted by Serai
    im not sure if its true, but i heard about a immortal run failing cause a mindcontrolled paladin tosses hand of sacrifice on kell thuzad
    not sure if you ever use hand of sacrifice while mind controlled but 30% of the raids dps nukes you down pretty quickly
    I've had that happen to me, and it was quite a shock I can tell you! ;D

What happens is when Kel MC's you he'll cast your HoS on himself (nothing you can do at that point), and of course you die almost immediately from the the redirected raid damage. :P

Now I just make sure I keep HoS up on the MT at every CD when phase 2 kicks off, there's no chance of that ever happening then.

Quote Originally Posted by Xelios
    I have never understood the Divine Sacrifice spell. If X% damage is redirected to the paladin once the spell is activated from the rest of the raid/group, doesn't that mean the paladin will take horrible amounts of damage if, say, a AoE damages a number of players during a boss encounter and will us instead?

From,
    Someone who is utterly confused.
    It's essentially splitting up the current Divine Guardian to allow for a little flexibility for Prot and Holy Paladins.

It's pretty clunky in design and will probably be changed and smoothed out by next expansion, if not earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by spitfire668
    It is an OT ability. It is used in situations where there is a big burst of dmg. The OT will Bubble and then activate the ability, causing each raid member to take 30% less dmg and taking none at the same time. Me as a MT would rather stick 3 points in Divinity then in this ability. As an OT this is a very helpful spell in a few situations.
    Handy for MTs too, for fghts like Maly/sapph etc where you can't tank all the time, very situational though tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Undertaker
    It's meant for Tanking paladins to help reduce aoe damage, and then ret \ holy paladins to pop it and bubble.
    Holy paladins wont ever go that far into prot for PvE unless they dont have a prot paladin in the guild and want the imp dev aura.

As far as tanks go its only 30% dmg upto 150% of the tanks hp's so its nice but unless you want Divine Guardian i woudln't take it except as a filler. I cant off the top of my head think of any tactics that would use that unless you have bad healers. Also with the 2 min c/d its not worth spamming so you may only use this like once or twice a raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Of Doom
    Holy paladins wont ever go that far into prot for PvE unless they dont have a prot paladin in the guild and want the imp dev aura.

As far as tanks go its only 30% dmg upto 150% of the tanks hp's so its nice but unless you want Divine Guardian i woudln't take it except as a filler. I cant off the top of my head think of any tactics that would use that unless you have bad healers. Also with the 2 min c/d its not worth spamming so you may only use this like once or twice a raid.
    I have to disagree with this to be honest (from aholy point of view). Although it's a highly situational talent, it does have it's uses on certain fights, and in fact I already respec on a regular basis for the current (live) Divine Guardian as an extra MT (me healing the MT) mitigation button for Sarth 3D breaths. In reality this would be no different in 3.1, and having dual-specs means there's even less excuse for me not to have it as a back-up spec alongside my usual 51/0/20 holy/ret crit build.

I can't imagine any prot paladin being willing to put points into it anyway, as their tree is already bloated with enough "must have" talents as it is.

That said, I'm considering not taking Imp. Devotion Aura in that particular spec anyway, and may put those points into Blessed Hands instead for the extra boost it gives to HoSalv/HoSacr.

I personally HoSac the tanks on almost every cooldown as Ret, in previous days the mana returns from the damage were just icing on the mitigation-y cake.

Without SA, though, it's a little less practical, and this spell follows in that wake, granted between this and HoSacr you could be eating 60% of your tank's damage while bubbled, which might be a fun tactic during boss fights as either ret or holy, but it's little more thank a clunky AoE mitigation tool that works either too well, or not well enough, in AoE situations.

I can see it being a huge pain in the arena, though.